Sony MDR-V6 Opinions
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #31 of 90

Quote:
the v6 is a great phone, just not flavour of the month anymore...
biggrin.gif
. You will hear the same polarizing opinions about the M-50 in a couple of years (I think they are starting already
rolleyes.gif
).

And McDonald's is great food!
wink_face.gif
The Equation RP21 was a big flavor of the month a couple of years back, too. Now you don't hear much about them. All three, including the m50, probably represent good value for the price...but great? Hmmm
rolleyes.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #32 of 90

Quote:

Quote:
the v6 is a great phone, just not flavour of the month anymore...
biggrin.gif
. You will hear the same polarizing opinions about the M-50 in a couple of years (I think they are starting already
rolleyes.gif
).

And McDonald's is great food!
wink_face.gif
The Equation RP21 was a big flavor of the month a couple of years back, too. Now you don't hear much about them. All three, including the m50, probably represent good value for the price...but great? Hmmm
rolleyes.gif

I meant to say exactly that, a great phone for the price, not comparing it to the big leagues
tongue.gif
...if you have a $300 budget I would never tell anyone to buy it, Beyers or Denons would be in order
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #33 of 90
O.K. we're in total agreement then.
beerchug.gif
They're my portable phone for now...along with some jbl ear buds....would like to try one of the shures as an upgrade one day.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 90
I guess you just don't use any EQ at all when you listen to headphones? I would agree that the headphones are on the bright side compared to many and that without any EQ the bass is a little light, but not to the degree of your exaggerations.  The headphones themselves are quite capable of bass however, and lots of it.  When I EQ them, they have bass approaching the DT770/Pros.

Quote:
In the most basic sense.
Take a integrated amp and turn the treble all the way over positive direction
Take the bass knob and turn it all the way over in the negative direction (sucked out bass)
Just because you can hear bass guitar still or whatever doesn't mean the bass hasn't been sucked out of it.
And sometimes that isn't even what it sounds like

You can't even pin point the problem exactly the problem its just out of tune period.
And its badly messed up between 2k-16k

And the sucked out mids is really noticeable with brass instruments and drums

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #35 of 90
For the money, I really like the V6's.  My personal choice would be the Grado SR80i, but either one is a very nice listen. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #36 of 90
I just EQ the treble frequencies out a bit and leave everything else flat. Then when you turn up the volume the bass comes in naturally. They sound okay, still way too sterile for my tastes though. When I first got them I liked them a lot as I'd never heard anything better. (I used to use the MDR-V150) I voted decent.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #37 of 90

Quote:
O.K. we're in total agreement then.
beerchug.gif
They're my portable phone for now...along with some jbl ear buds....would like to try one of the shures as an upgrade one day.

I'm thinking about the shures also (840 to be exact), as a good choice for a closed can
beerchug.gif
but right now I'm enjoying my sr225 grados.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #38 of 90
It's been too long for me to be sure, and I don't want to make a definitive statement, but I'll take your photo analogy into the digital realm and say it sounded to me like the sonic equivalent of a photo shot with a really high ISO--kind of like a textured, random noise overlaying the musical image. Maybe even that sort of noise you get when you go nuts with the sharpening tools.

Quote:
It's definitely not a refined sound. Would you say that the 'grain' is a bit of distortion....that they're like a photo that's not totally clear and transparent...or a dirty lens?
Quote:
I auditioned the 7506/V6 briefly. It was competent but not stunning. I can't say I found the bass lacking in quantity, and the extension was pretty decent. But it definitely lacked control. The upper mids were quite present, more so than the other two headphones I tried (M50 and SRH440), and I honestly can't remember much about the treble. The thing that struck me the most, though, was the lack of transparency. They were grainy compared to the other two--I never quite understood that term until I heard those headphones. I voted "decent."

To the OP: You might consider this turn of events a blessing in disguise, though it's definitely a bummer. If you're not stuck on the V6, you might consider some of the popular (or deserving of popularity) choices mentioned on here like the M50, SRH440, D1001, HD448, etc. All are a little more expensive than the V6--especially if you've got a fake one at a discount--but you might find one of them to your liking. The V6 is a polarizing headphone--you've seen that in the responses. It's also been around since the time dinosaurs were stomping around, and other makers and models may have surpassed its value.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #39 of 90
I think that makes sense from my fairly limited understanding of digital photography. If I take a digital photo and the light is not great, that's what I get....too much digital noise. I had my v6's with me in my knapsack today so I pulled out my Sansa Clip and played some old Sinatra tunes. They didn't really do justice to his voice....that's coming from my usual listening with the k240DF and the LD mkV amp. The v6 are definitely not as refined or transparent/clear...like a good lens on a camera. They're probably good enough for most rock....you wouldn't even notice the 'grainyness' with loud distorted guitars and harsh sounding vocals.

Quote:
It's been too long for me to be sure, and I don't want to make a definitive statement, but I'll take your photo analogy into the digital realm and say it sounded to me like the sonic equivalent of a photo shot with a really high ISO--kind of like a textured, random noise overlaying the musical image. Maybe even that sort of noise you get when you go nuts with the sharpening tools.

Quote:
It's definitely not a refined sound. Would you say that the 'grain' is a bit of distortion....that they're like a photo that's not totally clear and transparent...or a dirty lens?
Quote:
I auditioned the 7506/V6 briefly. It was competent but not stunning. I can't say I found the bass lacking in quantity, and the extension was pretty decent. But it definitely lacked control. The upper mids were quite present, more so than the other two headphones I tried (M50 and SRH440), and I honestly can't remember much about the treble. The thing that struck me the most, though, was the lack of transparency. They were grainy compared to the other two--I never quite understood that term until I heard those headphones. I voted "decent."

To the OP: You might consider this turn of events a blessing in disguise, though it's definitely a bummer. If you're not stuck on the V6, you might consider some of the popular (or deserving of popularity) choices mentioned on here like the M50, SRH440, D1001, HD448, etc. All are a little more expensive than the V6--especially if you've got a fake one at a discount--but you might find one of them to your liking. The V6 is a polarizing headphone--you've seen that in the responses. It's also been around since the time dinosaurs were stomping around, and other makers and models may have surpassed its value.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #40 of 90
You've got it about right. Like I said, I wouldn't want to generalize from a single listen. I'm sure that they're fine as a portable set, and that certain genres would work all right. Perhaps this attribute wouldn't even show up out of context, but when compared to the SRH440 sitting right next to it, which was perhaps the most comparable set at the price point, it was quite noticeable. The Shure has zero grain whatsoever. In fact, it has some of the nicest mids I've yet heard in a closed headphone.

I'm not saying the V6 is bad at all. I just think that its time as the default recommendation for closed headphone under $100 is behind it.

Quote:
I think that makes sense from my fairly limited understanding of digital photography. If I take a digital photo and the light is not great, that's what I get....too much digital noise. I had my v6's with me in my knapsack today so I pulled out my Sansa Clip and played some old Sinatra tunes. They didn't really do justice to his voice....that's coming from my usual listening with the k240DF and the LD mkV amp. The v6 are definitely not as refined or transparent/clear...like a good lens on a camera. They're probably good enough for most rock....you wouldn't even notice the 'grainyness' with loud distorted guitars and harsh sounding vocals.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #41 of 90
Decent at most, the clarity is good and that is it. I liked the V6 for a while.

You can do much better for the money.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #42 of 90
Thanks for the input on the 440's...have read lots of good reports on those. When it comes time to break out the wallet for a new portable I'm pretty sure what it's going to be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
You've got it about right. Like I said, I wouldn't want to generalize from a single listen. I'm sure that they're fine as a portable set, and that certain genres would work all right. Perhaps this attribute wouldn't even show up out of context, but when compared to the SRH440 sitting right next to it, which was perhaps the most comparable set at the price point, it was quite noticeable. The Shure has zero grain whatsoever. In fact, it has some of the nicest mids I've yet heard in a closed headphone.

I'm not saying the V6 is bad at all. I just think that its time as the default recommendation for closed headphone under $100 is behind it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #43 of 90
^ ^

Depending on your source (I'm assuming an unamped Sansa Clip) they might not reach their full potential. I used to think the difference between an amped and unamped SRH440 was a lot of guff, but I've discovered it's true. They're not terrible straight from my 5G iPod (and they're about as bright as I can stand there), but the bass weight and articulation improves noticeably with some power. Still, I think they make a great portable, provided a full sized (and slightly goofy looking) circumaural form factor isn't an issue (and if you're using the V6, though bigger, the SRH440 isn't a radical departure in that regard). I'm trying not to be an evangelist as I've had mine for less than two weeks, but I find I like them a little more each day.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #44 of 90
Quote:
^ ^

Depending on your source (I'm assuming an unamped Sansa Clip) they might not reach their full potential. I used to think the difference between an amped and unamped SRH440 was a lot of guff, but I've discovered it's true. They're not terrible straight from my 5G iPod (and they're about as bright as I can stand there), but the bass weight and articulation improves noticeably with some power. Still, I think they make a great portable, provided a full sized (and slightly goofy looking) circumaural form factor isn't an issue (and if you're using the V6, though bigger, the SRH440 isn't a radical departure in that regard). I'm trying not to be an evangelist as I've had mine for less than two weeks, but I find I like them a little more each day.

The V6 is very likeable in the beginning... If you like its 'sound' just watch out with the volume.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #45 of 90
Hey GotNoRice. Thanks for commenting here. I really enjoyed your Fake V6 comparison thread. In the end, it showed me my V6s were fake. Mine had a crappy Headband, horrible sound, crappy bag, and all the qualities of the fakes that you described on your thread. Thanks.

And wow, never thought so many people would comment on this thread. Gone for only two days and get 27 responses. Thanks guys.

Surprisingly, the seller I got my fakes from is giving me a full refund. He did argue that they were genuine, but he offered a full refund.

So, now, this starts another question. Should I use the refund to invest in a REAL pair of V6s, or should I look at an entirely new phone all together?

Feel free to tell me your opinions, even suggest some cans if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back