Sony MDR-V6 Opinions
Jan 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #18 of 90
I voted "really good", cause that's what I think they are, for the price I paid for it, which was about €65 if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure I have a genuine pair, cause I bought it at a big local retailer.

Quote:
I voted awful they are very sterile and empty sounding like the mids were completely sucked out of them.
The bass is pretty sucked out of them too. Drums sound so off and empty guitars can sound really bad.
They can sound okay for some stuff but more music you throw at them you eventually hear that something is very wrong.
And if you compare them to a correct sounding pair if you can't detect the problems they become more than apparent.
Really don't understand the popularity besides the name brand.

But if you like them then whatever.

I dunno which pair of headphones you're confused with, but the MDR-V6's do not have "sucked out" bass!! In fact, in terms of bass quantity they're right up there with beyer's DT770pro. However, it doesn't sound very tight and well-controlled though, and the deep sub-bass is totally drowned away, if that's what you meant with sucked out, which I doubt.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 90

Quote:
Great... My V6s just got here a couple minutes ago, and guess what? They're fake. Blatant copies. Ugh...

bummer... that's not good, where did you buy them from? most fakes are sold through Ebay from China or Hong Kong sellers, but you never know. if you bought it from Ebay and used Paypal, report it to both, you´ll get your money back. Better go with authorized dealers.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 90
Don't know what he means by sucked out bass or sucked out mids. My v6 has anything but sucked out either! Plenty of bass, but kind of rubbery....definitely not tight...agree with RazorJack's description. Upper mids are boosted....certainly not sucked out. Upper bass and perhaps very low mids have a big dip somewhere around 200 hz making them seem too bright. Drums "off and empty"....not sure what he means by that. They're very popular in recording studios and generally considered pretty 'flat'....never heard the mids or bass described as being deficient... or 'sucked out'. Generally fun phones for rock and pop...maybe even hip hop and electronica....good value for the price they go for.

Quote:
I voted "really good", cause that's what I think they are, for the price I paid for it, which was about €65 if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure I have a genuine pair, cause I bought it at a big local retailer.

Quote:
I voted awful they are very sterile and empty sounding like the mids were completely sucked out of them.
The bass is pretty sucked out of them too. Drums sound so off and empty guitars can sound really bad.
They can sound okay for some stuff but more music you throw at them you eventually hear that something is very wrong.
And if you compare them to a correct sounding pair if you can't detect the problems they become more than apparent.
Really don't understand the popularity besides the name brand.

But if you like them then whatever.

I dunno which pair of headphones you're confused with, but the MDR-V6's do not have "sucked out" bass!! In fact, in terms of bass quantity they're right up there with beyer's DT770pro. However, it doesn't sound very tight and well-controlled though, and the deep sub-bass is totally drowned away, if that's what you meant with sucked out, which I doubt.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 90
The V6 to my ear is a solid performer. Neutral frequency response, nothing bad, nothing superb either. Solid build quality, good price to performance ratio, reasonably comfortable and isolating.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 90
In the most basic sense.
Take a integrated amp and turn the treble all the way over positive direction
Take the bass knob and turn it all the way over in the negative direction (sucked out bass)
Just because you can hear bass guitar still or whatever doesn't mean the bass hasn't been sucked out of it.
And sometimes that isn't even what it sounds like

You can't even pin point the problem exactly the problem its just out of tune period.
And its badly messed up between 2k-16k

And the sucked out mids is really noticeable with brass instruments and drums

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 90

Maybe yours is one of the counterfeits made in China. That's the only explanation I can come up with. I hear plenty of bass with mine. Probably a bit more than neutral. Vocals, guitars, etc., are very present...not missing any mids with mine. I'm sure most v6 owners would say the same.
Quote:
In the most basic sense.
Take a integrated amp and turn the treble all the way over positive direction
Take the bass knob and turn it all the way over in the negative direction (sucked out bass)
Just because you can hear bass guitar still or whatever doesn't mean the bass hasn't been sucked out of it.
And sometimes that isn't even what it sounds like

You can't even pin point the problem exactly the problem its just out of tune period.
And its badly messed up between 2k-16k

And the sucked out mids is really noticeable with brass instruments.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 90
You must like an awful lot of bass in your music if you think the v6 midbass is lacking!
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 90
Its not quantity its quality.
I hate overly bassy.
The Mdrv 6's bass is a joke.
Its dry and dead.
Like I said earlier with a integrated amp turn the treble way all the way over positive and the bass all the way over negative is the basic sense of its sound.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #27 of 90
That's starting to make a bit more sense. the 702 bass sounds a lot more true to life IMO....also preferred the Equation RP21. The v6 bass is pretty loose....not tight and well controlled. Haven't listened to them in a while, so I'm going by memory.

Quote:
Its not quantity its quality.
I hate overly bassy.
The Mdrv 6's bass is a joke.
Its dry and dead.
Like I said earlier with a integrated amp turn the treble way all the way over positive and the bass all the way over negative is the basic sense of its sound.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #28 of 90
I auditioned the 7506/V6 briefly. It was competent but not stunning. I can't say I found the bass lacking in quantity, and the extension was pretty decent. But it definitely lacked control. The upper mids were quite present, more so than the other two headphones I tried (M50 and SRH440), and I honestly can't remember much about the treble. The thing that struck me the most, though, was the lack of transparency. They were grainy compared to the other two--I never quite understood that term until I heard those headphones. I voted "decent."

To the OP: You might consider this turn of events a blessing in disguise, though it's definitely a bummer. If you're not stuck on the V6, you might consider some of the popular (or deserving of popularity) choices mentioned on here like the M50, SRH440, D1001, HD448, etc. All are a little more expensive than the V6--especially if you've got a fake one at a discount--but you might find one of them to your liking. The V6 is a polarizing headphone--you've seen that in the responses. It's also been around since the time dinosaurs were stomping around, and other makers and models may have surpassed its value.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #29 of 90

It's definitely not a refined sound. Would you say that the 'grain' is a bit of distortion....that they're like a photo that's not totally clear and transparent...or a dirty lens?
Quote:
I auditioned the 7506/V6 briefly. It was competent but not stunning. I can't say I found the bass lacking in quantity, and the extension was pretty decent. But it definitely lacked control. The upper mids were quite present, more so than the other two headphones I tried (M50 and SRH440), and I honestly can't remember much about the treble. The thing that struck me the most, though, was the lack of transparency. They were grainy compared to the other two--I never quite understood that term until I heard those headphones. I voted "decent."

To the OP: You might consider this turn of events a blessing in disguise, though it's definitely a bummer. If you're not stuck on the V6, you might consider some of the popular (or deserving of popularity) choices mentioned on here like the M50, SRH440, D1001, HD448, etc. All are a little more expensive than the V6--especially if you've got a fake one at a discount--but you might find one of them to your liking. The V6 is a polarizing headphone--you've seen that in the responses. It's also been around since the time dinosaurs were stomping around, and other makers and models may have surpassed its value.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #30 of 90
the v6 is a great phone, just not flavour of the month anymore...
biggrin.gif
. You will hear the same polarizing opinions about the M-50 in a couple of years (I think they are starting already
rolleyes.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back