Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #481 of 517
New owner of a set of V6s and I love them so far, to the point where my modified Portapros have been drawered.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #482 of 517
I've bought many V6/7506 headphones over the years. They've always come with a pleather pouch but the most recent one I bought came with some kind of nylon pouch. Anyone else notice this?

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #483 of 517
I'm pretty certain the nylon pouch means you got a fake.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #485 of 517
I'm pretty certain the nylon pouch means you got a fake.

Do you have a source for the nylon pouch being possibly fake? I looked the headphones over and they look pretty authentic to me. And it's new, not refurbished. I don't believe the V6 has been discontinued at all. You can still buy them new... practically anywhere.

Any way, here's a pic of the pouch:

DSC_8599 - Copy.jpg

n4WVE

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #486 of 517
There is much discussion on various boards about how sony only includes the vinyl punch, not nylon.

As for discontinued, it's not clear. Sony doesn't have the V6 on their web site, and there is much discussion about them being discontinued. What you see in stores is possibly stock that hasn't sold out yet, or possibly fake (in less reputable stores). Sony discussion here

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #487 of 517
There is much discussion on various boards about how sony only includes the vinyl punch, not nylon.

As for discontinued, it's not clear. Sony doesn't have the V6 on their web site, and there is much discussion about them being discontinued. What you see in stores is possibly stock that hasn't sold out yet, or possibly fake (in less reputable stores). Sony discussion here

The V6 can easily be purchased new online from B&H, Newegg, Amazon, Ritz, Wal-Mart, Buydig, Overstock, and many other websites. It may very well be discontinued, not sure - but anyone who wants one can easily get one. I got mine from Amazon shipped from an Amazon Prime seller with over 9,000 user ratings.

As for the nylon pouch, it wouldn't make sense for counterfeiters to include a nylon, rather than pleather, pouch since it's in their best interest to replicate the original as closely as possible so as to not cause suspicion.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #488 of 517
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #489 of 517
I have no skin in this game. From Amazon's Q&A:

Question:
Hi. Can anyone please verify that these are now shipping with a black nylon storage bag instead of the vinyl one? Pics in my review on 03/10/17. Thank
Answer:
Hi aguadillano,
These pair of headphones comes with a Vinyl Soft Case.
Thanks,
>Joffrey
By Sony U. on April 16, 2017

I will have to look into it and possibly return mine. Thank you so much for your input!

EDIT: Here is a thread talking about it (it's possible the guy in this thread is the same guy who asked the question on Amazon):

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ing-a-new-set-to-the-collection.760609/page-2

"Well, I've spent about a week with this replacement set of MDR-V6 and put them through the paces. These are really great sounding headphones. I really can't find any fault with them.
From what I can tell, the sound from them is pretty much identical to that first set, and I'm now convinced, like it was mentioned before, that the first just included an updated bag that nobody at Sony was aware of.
Kinda sucks to have gone through all that drama for what may have ultimately been nothing. I do give Amazon Customer Service all the stars for how cooperative they were in the refund/replacement given the questionable authenticity."

And in another post:

As for the nylon embossed bag, I think we've determined that it is actually real and authentic, just that Sony service reps have not yet been notified of the change in the product accessory. Now I'm fairly certain the original set I had with the nylon bag was in fact a legitimate Sony product.
Once they've passed the visual test, the best way to tell is to just listen to them. You can just hear it. You should instantly be thinking ' wow, how did Sony make $70-80 sound this good?'

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #490 of 517
I will try the V6 this week. Can't wait to hear the Sony sound signature again. I have grown up with sony products during my teen years. Back in the 80/90's everything was Sony; headphones, walkman, cd players, boomboxes, televisions, VHS players, you name it, they were number 1 everywhere. Those two decades belongs to Sony all the way. Heck even the playstation but I digress. Also very interested to hear a flat midrange like that. It looks like the flattest midrange along with perhaps the Shure 1840.

Maybe today they sell crap, but If you want a nice piece of vintage, you buy Sony that is for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #491 of 517
I will try the V6 this week. Can't wait to hear the Sony sound signature again. I have grown up with sony products during my teen years. Back in the 80/90's everything was Sony; headphones, walkman, cd players, boomboxes, televisions, VHS players, you name it, they were number 1 everywhere. Those two decades belongs to Sony all the way. Heck even the playstation but I digress. Also very interested to hear a flat midrange like that. It looks like the flattest midrange along with perhaps the Shure 1840.

Maybe today they sell crap, but If you want a nice piece of vintage, you buy Sony that is for sure.

Hi. I have original v6, v7 and now 7506. The V7 was amazing, compared to the v6, which is good but has a slightly hyped up bass response. I also got some used v7's last year but they sounded terrible. I think someone has replaced the drive units with cheap ones. Now binned. Still love the v6 and now the 7506 which, to my ears, has better seperation. All lovely cans, great sounding and comfortable to use for long periods.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #492 of 517
Hi. I have original v6, v7 and now 7506. The V7 was amazing, compared to the v6, which is good but has a slightly hyped up bass response. I also got some used v7's last year but they sounded terrible. I think someone has replaced the drive units with cheap ones. Now binned. Still love the v6 and now the 7506 which, to my ears, has better seperation. All lovely cans, great sounding and comfortable to use for long periods.

It's quite possible the v7 sounded bad because the ring of foam around the driver was either missing or flat with disintegration. It plays a quite important role in the tuning. (Ear pads must be stock too, no deviation).

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #494 of 517
The V6 is an excellent value. I paid about $50 US for a legit used pair with brand new pads. The midrange is the most natural of all headphones I heard so far. Only problem is the frequencies do not extend. Because of that It still sounds as an entry-level headphone, sadly. With more bass and a little more energy in the higher region I would prefer them to the Beyerdynamic DT770. However, thanks to that perfect midrange, I still use the V6 with my big Lyr 2 amp. They were designed as a studio monitor so I guess it is the reason why they take power very well. I use the high output on the Lyr 2 and it was a surprise for me that they sound perfectly articulate without any excessive distorted punch. Big power amplification with tubes give the V6 a little more meat in the lower region. Although the bass still remains shy, it is bit better. The sound is fuller.

I have ordered a CD900st that I will test in the week to come. Hopefully it will sound similar to the V6 in the midrange with more bass. It is very close to the perfect headphone for me. It really sounds realistic, neutral, uncolored. I like the V6 a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back