Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #301 of 517
  yeah sadly desk at work... We don't get direct sunlight except between 5-6 am, but it seems like even indirect sunlight is enough to destroy them...  :frowning2:   They're quite old though, probably 7+ years old.

And even more sadly, I've been using my AKG 550s now, and they're likely to suffer the same fate..  *cries*

Maybe a cleaning crew is spraying them with something after hours?

May 31, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #305 of 517
Now that V6 is back in production, is the V6 still made in China or now moved production to Thailand?
why does it matter

May 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #307 of 517
May 31, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #309 of 517
Why do you think Sony V6s made in China suffer from poor Q.C. or poor build quality?

May 31, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #310 of 517
  Why do you think Sony V6s made in China suffer from poor Q.C. or poor build quality?

Well I didn't know that. 

I've never seen anyone complain about the build quality of these.

May 31, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #311 of 517

I tried on a V6 in some electronics boutique shop in the mall that closed down early this year.  When I played some tunes I noticed right away (before noticing that it was made in China... of all places) that the there was channel imbalance, ear cups looks scratch-prone and the wiring that goes from the earcup to the headband is of really, really low quality (cheap ass rubber-like wiring that looks cheaper than a iPod earbud white-colored wires) and I doubt it will last more than a decade  (I mean c'mon... V6 is known to last a decade or two... or even three!)

Then I went to Guitar Center and tried on some Made-in-Thailand 7506's. The build quality of the 7506 is such that it highlighted the glaring quality differences with the V6 I encountered in the mall. 
Because of this, my takeaway is:
1)  V6 that I encountered in the mall is legit, but is made in China with QC issues.
2)  V6 that I encountered in the mall is a Chinese fake.

May 31, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #312 of 517

I tried on a V6 in some electronics boutique shop in the mall that closed down early this year.  When I played some tunes I noticed right away (before noticing that it was made in China... of all places) that the there was channel imbalance, ear cups looks scratch-prone and the wiring that goes from the earcup to the headband is of really, really low quality (cheap ass rubber-like wiring that looks cheaper than a iPod earbud white-colored wires) and I doubt it will last more than a decade  (I mean c'mon... V6 is known to last a decade or two... or even three!)

Then I went to Guitar Center and tried on some Made-in-Thailand 7506's. The build quality of the 7506 is such that it highlighted the glaring quality differences with the V6 I encountered in the mall. 
Because of this, my takeaway is:
1)  V6 that I encountered in the mall is legit, but is made in China with QC issues.
2)  V6 that I encountered in the mall is a Chinese fake.

Buy it and return it if you don't like it? Also, only buy from an authorized dealer.

May 31, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #313 of 517
Until about a year ago, I was concerned somewhat with the quality of headphones made in China.

Since then, I've been sufficiently impressed with headphones manufactured there by
Yamaha, Denon, Shure, AKG, NAD, and other top brands that it's no longer an issue for me.

In fact, the AKG K702's I just bought, made in China, seem even better than the original
made-in-Austria version I had (and sold) some months ago.

While I still prefer to buy certain types of products manufactured elsewhere,
headphones are no longer one of them.

May 31, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #314 of 517
  build quality.

and the fact that I can sleep comfortably without worrying about (well documented) poor Q.C. samples from China or fakes from China.

Well, it isn't really possible to keep selling V6's for 20+ years at a constant price due to rising labour costs, unless you shift production to a country where labour costs aren't that high.

So yes, build quality has become more expensive over time I think.

If you're that worried about poor Q.C., then you should look out for the CD900ST (but at the tradeoff of $100 more). Made in Japan (no doubt about it) and due to its 'obscurity', no widespread fakes of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back