Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #331 of 517
Hi,

Im a V6 owner, a very happy one at that, until yesterday...

While watching tv, the audio seemed to drop, but not completely. Im hearing music fine, but voices are very low, inaudible basically.
Im running through a 10m m/f extension lead, and i get the same problem directly into the tv.

I know the headphone speakers arent faulty as if i unplug the jack, and push it in halfway with a slight angle, theres a sweet spot where it works fine, theres absolutely no visual indication to be able to tell what the problem is, but i was hoping for some advice from the more knowledgeable folks here. What can i do about this?
Im in the UK, so im screwed in that respect, they were bought almost 23mo ago and while entitled to a resolution, it'd be like getting blood from a stone.

What are the chances of this being a fault within the jack, and being able to rewire it to a satisfactory standard? Its not something i'd know how to do myself, so a basic guide would be needed, but im comfortable with a soldering iron and it seems like ive got nothing to lose really.

I could really do with some advice, is it basically going to be a case of googling a rewiring diagram, or is it more complex?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #332 of 517
  Hi,

Im a V6 owner, a very happy one at that, until yesterday...

While watching tv, the audio seemed to drop, but not completely. Im hearing music fine, but voices are very low, inaudible basically.
Im running through a 10m m/f extension lead, and i get the same problem directly into the tv.

I know the headphone speakers arent faulty as if i unplug the jack, and push it in halfway with a slight angle, theres a sweet spot where it works fine, theres absolutely no visual indication to be able to tell what the problem is, but i was hoping for some advice from the more knowledgeable folks here. What can i do about this?
Im in the UK, so im screwed in that respect, they were bought almost 23mo ago and while entitled to a resolution, it'd be like getting blood from a stone.

What are the chances of this being a fault within the jack, and being able to rewire it to a satisfactory standard? Its not something i'd know how to do myself, so a basic guide would be needed, but im comfortable with a soldering iron and it seems like ive got nothing to lose really.

I could really do with some advice, is it basically going to be a case of googling a rewiring diagram, or is it more complex?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Does the tv have rca audio out (red and white)?  You could use that for audio with something like http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2 and see if that works any better

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #333 of 517
I believe the problem is the jack on the headphones, i get the same sound issue (and can 'resolve' it the same way, with an awkward angle contact) plugged directly into both TVs i've tested on.
So i suspect the fault is within the jack, which makes me think i could rewire it, i just wouldnt know what im doing and whether its likely to solve the issue.

I came here because i wondered if this was a common issue, or someone might know of the fault and what the best way to fix it would be, but could it be that in this instance the make & model of the headphones isnt important, and i'd be better asking this question somewhere else?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #334 of 517
  I believe the problem is the jack on the headphones, i get the same sound issue (and can 'resolve' it the same way, with an awkward angle contact) plugged directly into both TVs i've tested on.
So i suspect the fault is within the jack, which makes me think i could rewire it, i just wouldnt know what im doing and whether its likely to solve the issue.

I came here because i wondered if this was a common issue, or someone might know of the fault and what the best way to fix it would be, but could it be that in this instance the make & model of the headphones isnt important, and i'd be better asking this question somewhere else?

In that case the make and model is not important, here is a short video and I am sure you will find more and better ones on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32rMoCEZ8c

Cheers and good luck with the repair!!

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #335 of 517
Thanks for that, i'll have to source a new jack but i'll give it a go.

That video shows 2 pairs of 2 wires, an earth/neutral and a signal.
What is confusing/concerning me is that there is sound coming through both ear pieces, however while music works fine ie background music, at the same time any talking is almost impossible to hear, you can sort of hear the effect of talking but not the actual words.

For some reason, if i angle the jack and i'd assume the tip makes contact with somewhere on the female plug, i can hear things fine, but its a half-way in & slight angle, i'd have to sit there balancing it to make it work as-is. Does this still sound as though its a faulty jack? as mentioned theres no visible signs of damage, wear. The only indications it isnt new is the sticker fading around the edges and one of the ear pads has split on the inside, its always been well looked after and folded up each night.

Its the fact that its still playing music which concerns me, if theres only 1 cable for the signal into each ear, why is that signal losing the vocal range and why is it there when the plug is in contact in an unconventional manner.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #336 of 517
  Thanks for that, i'll have to source a new jack but i'll give it a go.

That video shows 2 pairs of 2 wires, an earth/neutral and a signal.
What is confusing/concerning me is that there is sound coming through both ear pieces, however while music works fine ie background music, at the same time any talking is almost impossible to hear, you can sort of hear the effect of talking but not the actual words.

For some reason, if i angle the jack and i'd assume the tip makes contact with somewhere on the female plug, i can hear things fine, but its a half-way in & slight angle, i'd have to sit there balancing it to make it work as-is. Does this still sound as though its a faulty jack? as mentioned theres no visible signs of damage, wear. The only indications it isnt new is the sticker fading around the edges and one of the ear pads has split on the inside, its always been well looked after and folded up each night.

Its the fact that its still playing music which concerns me, if theres only 1 cable for the signal into each ear, why is that signal losing the vocal range and why is it there when the plug is in contact in an unconventional manner.

Hi Paul, 

any news on this?

Did you ever try to check if the socket of the TV is the issue? Can you use the headphones in a different device than your TV?

I have just received my V6 from the amazing Amazon deal of the day thingy. For the price they are pretty amazing.

Cheers,
K

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #338 of 517
They just jacked up the price of these babies to $99.00 USD! I'm so glad I got them on the 6/29 $54.99 Amazon deal!
basshead.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #339 of 517
  They just jacked up the price of these babies to $99.00 USD! I'm so glad I got them on the 6/29 $54.99 Amazon deal!
basshead.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

it was $89 yesterday.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #342 of 517
Just for the benefit of all, many of the issues folks have with the V6/7506 i.e. stridency, peakiness, lack of bass, etc. really are largely improved by putting the Beyer DT250 velour pads on. Had a chance to hear the stock 7506 against another pair I already had with the Beyers and it's incredible what this small change does for the sound. The velour doesn't isolate as well, but to me the other improvements are well worth the sacrifice.

You can find em here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #345 of 517
Looks like V6 packaging was changed for year 2014 (not fake, right?)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/B34AAOSwFAZTty4T/$_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/vx4AAOSwirZTty4o/$_57.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back