Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #361 of 517
Just got a pair of the 7506 from Guitar Center. I'm wondering, do I need a headphone amp to run these from my iPhone 5s or iPod Classic? i demoed these straight from my phone and they definitely impressed me but I don't want to keep under powering them

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #362 of 517
They sound brighter and have tighter bass with amp. I highly prefer them without amp as they sound controlled and less forward. Anyways, they're very easy to drive and already sounds best on portable devices.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #365 of 517
  I know sound is subjective, but aren't the 7506 supposed to be bright? Because my new pair is mid dark to light and i'm loving it. Will they get brighter? I kinda hope not. 

You sasid you bought your 7506 @ Guitar Center brick&mortar store?

I think I have the same impression as you on MDR 7506.

I demo-ed a 7506 last in guitar center last year... it's still flat-sounding but it's nowhere near as bright (and in some cases... painful at really bright recordings) as the 7506 i owned back in year 2007.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #366 of 517

You sasid you bought your 7506 @ Guitar Center brick&mortar store?

I think I have the same impression as you on MDR 7506.

I demo-ed a 7506 last in guitar center last year... it's still flat-sounding but it's nowhere near as bright (and in some cases... painful at really bright recordings) as the 7506 i owned back in year 2007.

Yes, at a brick and mortar Guitar Center yesterday. They matched amazon.com's price and sold them to me for $80.

They are no where near the cringe worthy brightness that was my 2011 V6's. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #367 of 517
Just got a pair of the 7506 from Guitar Center. I'm wondering, do I need a headphone amp to run these from my iPhone 5s or iPod Classic? i demoed these straight from my phone and they definitely impressed me but I don't want to keep under powering them

These don't require any amp and sound great without it. But if you have an amp they sine a bit more esp. With the fiio E17.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #368 of 517
These don't require any amp and sound great without it. But if you have an amp they sine a bit more esp. With the fiio E17.

Yes, I find the sound to be a bit crisper, faster with tighter bass but at the same time, brighter which made me feel that the music is now on the verge of sounding thin. Unamped, I get the loosed and a tiny bit more emphasized upper bass and very slightly less bright mid-high treble which made the sound warmer and fuller. To me, this is one of the headphones that sounds even more analytical when amped. This is with my 2006 Thiland made 7506 with original Sony stock earpads.

To doorbell,

better get a new set of pads since those will wear out within 4 months of everyday use at least mine does. You'll definitely hear noticeable difference in sound when using worn out against the new ear pads (price for original pads is a bit ripoff though)

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #370 of 517
I strongly recommend HM5 leather pads from mp4nation.  To show the fit, take a look:

The problem here is that these are the thicker, memory foam version, they make the sound nasal and a bit shrill.  The regular, non-memory-foam HM5 pads are the ones to go for.  I have a pair, but they are fitted to a custom ortho and no longer get a proper fit on my 7506 and V6.  I need to buy another two pairs for my Sonys.

Good isolation, great comfort, even greater sound, you will not regret it!  The stock pads kill the sound by comparison.

Edi: I bought more regular HM5 pads and they aren't making them as thin as they used to.  Well, a night under a pile of books should "fix" the pads. 
k701smile.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #371 of 517
Because I love my 7506 and am curious to give the V6 a shot, I ordered a pair off of amazon yesterday morning. I should be getting them in tomorrow. 

Kinda off topic, but are the V6 coming back in style or something? I noticed the amazon stock jump from 16 in stock, to back in full stock to 11 in stock to now back ordered. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #372 of 517
  Because I love my 7506 and am curious to give the V6 a shot, I ordered a pair off of amazon yesterday morning. I should be getting them in tomorrow. 

Kinda off topic, but are the V6 coming back in style or something? I noticed the amazon stock jump from 16 in stock, to back in full stock to 11 in stock to now back ordered. 

Huh. I know that couple versions of new V6 came out with new features(but same sound), but I'm not sure if the original V6s are coming back. That being said, I own a modded V6, and their build is really astonishing. A pair will last you for minimum 10 years.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #373 of 517
So I ordered a V6 from Amazon and I noticed these come in new boxes. The copyright on the back says 2014. The ear cups seem shallower than the 7506. The V6's seem to sit more on ear almost, while the 7506 cups around your ear. Has it always been that way? I also notice with the V6's, I had the size adjustment set to 5, while with the 7506 it was around a 4. It's still made in Thailand.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #374 of 517
So I ordered a V6 from Amazon and I noticed these come in new boxes. The copyright on the back says 2014. The ear cups seem shallower than the 7506. The V6's seem to sit more on ear almost, while the 7506 cups around your ear. Has it always been that way? I also notice with the V6's, I had the size adjustment set to 5, while with the 7506 it was around a 4. It's still made in Thailand.

Sounds about right, the stock pads are terrible flat things.

I got better ones off EBay.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #375 of 517
  I strongly recommend HM5 leather pads from mp4nation.  To show the fit, take a look:

So THAT's how you are fitting the HM5 pads, here I was putting them into the stock grooves your way should make them a little more shallow , well by a few mm at least. Thanks for the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back