Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
May 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #316 of 517
Jun 1, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #317 of 517
  Well, it isn't really possible to keep selling V6's for 20+ years at a constant price due to rising labour costs, unless you shift production to a country where labour costs aren't that high.

So yes, build quality has become more expensive over time I think.

If you're that worried about poor Q.C., then you should look out for the CD900ST (but at the tradeoff of $100 more). Made in Japan (no doubt about it) and due to its 'obscurity', no widespread fakes of them.

I read on the internets that CD900ST is not an improvement to V6... but a whole different headphone (aside from the V6-like chassis).  CD900ST trades away musicality for clearer and more weight to the vocals.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #318 of 517

I read on the internets that CD900ST is not an improvement to V6... but a whole different headphone (aside from the V6-like chassis).  CD900ST trades away musicality for clearer and more weight to the vocals.

CD900ST is Japan exclusive and made by Sony Music Entertainment Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be more focused on vocals.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #319 of 517

I'm merely addressing your concern for build quality. Which one matters to you more: musicality as defined by your V6 'demo', or build quality?

Of course the CD900ST is a different headphone, but it's not like Sony will start producing the V6's back in Japan just because of the concerns of some consumers over build quality. If you want something in the V6 family with build quality, then you should take a look at these other models.

Otherwise if you really want the V6 sound, take the risk. Check this thread if you haven't already: http://www.head-fi.org/t/510110/sony-mdr-v6-counterfeit-comparison-thread-w-pics

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #321 of 517
TheBoss: Thanks for the info I wasn't aware there was an issue!

I'm curious if others have experimented with the V6 & EQs?  I've compared the V6s to the AKG 550s, and they're both rather different, the V6 is brighter and its bass isn't as deep plus there's quite a bit of a bass hump.  I wondered how close I could get the V6s to the 550s.  So EQing using winamp, I've gotten this:

And damn, IMHO sounds damn nice!  The brightness is largely gone, sounds a lot smoother, the bass is flatter.  Definitely seems like a clear improvement to me!  The only tweak I'm not 100% certain is the slight boost at 70hz as it does increase the bass above what would be neutral, but that slight bass increase is fun!

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #322 of 517
  TheBoss: Thanks for the info I wasn't aware there was an issue!

I'm curious if others have experimented with the V6 & EQs?  I've compared the V6s to the AKG 550s, and they're both rather different, the V6 is brighter and its bass isn't as deep plus there's quite a bit of a bass hump.  I wondered how close I could get the V6s to the 550s.  So EQing using winamp, I've gotten this:

And damn, IMHO sounds damn nice!  The brightness is largely gone, sounds a lot smoother, the bass is flatter.  Definitely seems like a clear improvement to me!  The only tweak I'm not 100% certain is the slight boost at 70hz as it does increase the bass above what would be neutral, but that slight bass increase is fun!

Any chance you could post the actual numbers?

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #323 of 517
Not really sorry Wimap is quite poor I could post the EQ file but it's of no use outside of Winamp, and it doesn't seem to be ASCII text, just a binary...  It's not an exact science though, so doesn't have to be identical, from the picture given the +/- 12dB scale, my guess would be:

70hz   +0 dB
180hz  -4 dB
320hz  -2 dB
600hz  -2 dB
1k       -2 dB
3k       -2 dB
6k       -4 dB
12k     -3 dB    <--- changed!!!
16k     -2 dB

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #324 of 517
  Not really sorry Wimap is quite poor I could post the EQ file but it's of no use outside of Winamp, and it doesn't seem to be ASCII text, just a binary...  It's not an exact science though, so doesn't have to be identical, from the picture given the +/- 12dB scale, my guess would be:

70hz   +0 dB
180hz  -4 dB
320hz  -2 dB
600hz  -2 dB
1k       -2 dB
3k       -2 dB
6k       -4 dB
12k     -2 dB
16k     -2 dB

Close enough better than nothing thanks.  

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #325 of 517
So anyone gave the EQ settings a shot?  For most stuff I'd say that the character of the sound is much more pleasing, and unless the recording is already a warm recording, the 70hz bass boost works well, otherwise taking it down a notch seems all the modding the EQ settings ever need.  Note: I'm not saying it's more neutral than stock, but in general, hell, pretty much all of the time, I'd say it's more enjoyable.  And with these settings, honestly, I'd probably be hard pressed to tell them apart from the 550s. 

The 550s might indeed bet a tad more detailed, bigger soundstage, etc., but I'm just as happy with the V6 as with the 550s, which are often too warm and just bigger on your head.  And for 1/2 the price, the V6s still do great vs the 550s with these settings.  Just stock, without the EQ, it's not a very hard battle, the 550s sat on my head for months while the V6s were collecting dust, but now the V6s are probably more often used!  
blink.gif

Btw I tried to reproduce the EQ settings in Foobar and had a bit of a hard time; didn't seem to be as good as Winamp.  The idea is to tame the V6s mid bass boost & boost the low bass to make the bass more balanced/neutral & give them a better bass extension, and also reduce the mid emphasis of the V6s which can be a tad bit harsh/shouty.  This gives a much more laid back & enjoyable sound, really cool! 

There's some measurements here; http://www.head-fi.org/t/466419/sony-mdr-v6-too-bright-fatiguing-how-does-jvc-ha-rx700-compare  hmm, seems pretty much in line to what I got just trying to reproduce the AKG 550 sound using the V6s.  Just plugging in an opposite EQ settings in Foobar should probably work too!  But the increased # of bands seemed to make it more difficult for me to get that 550 sound just right...

PS:  I'm using cheap ebay pads which might alter the sound too though...  :\  But I'm really not sure at what extent vs stock pads since these are like 10 years old and the old pads were destroyed when replaced...  Hopefully, doesn't make a huge difference!

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #326 of 517
So anyone gave the EQ settings a shot?  For most stuff I'd say that the character of the sound is much more pleasing, and unless the recording is already a warm recording, the 70hz bass boost works well, otherwise taking it down a notch seems all the modding the EQ settings ever need.  Note: I'm not saying it's more neutral than stock, but in general, hell, pretty much all of the time, I'd say it's more enjoyable.  And with these settings, honestly, I'd probably be hard pressed to tell them apart from the 550s. 

The 550s might indeed bet a tad more detailed, bigger soundstage, etc., but I'm just as happy with the V6 as with the 550s, which are often too warm and just bigger on your head.  And for 1/2 the price, the V6s still do great vs the 550s with these settings.  Just stock, without the EQ, it's not a very hard battle, the 550s sat on my head for months while the V6s were collecting dust, but now the V6s are probably more often used!  
:blink:  

Btw I tried to reproduce the EQ settings in Foobar and had a bit of a hard time; didn't seem to be as good as Winamp.  The idea is to tame the V6s mid bass boost & boost the low bass to make the bass more balanced/neutral & give them a better bass extension, and also reduce the mid emphasis of the V6s which can be a tad bit harsh/shouty.  This gives a much more laid back & enjoyable sound, really cool! 

There's some measurements here; http://www.head-fi.org/t/466419/sony-mdr-v6-too-bright-fatiguing-how-does-jvc-ha-rx700-compare  hmm, seems pretty much in line to what I got just trying to reproduce the AKG 550 sound using the V6s.  Just plugging in an opposite EQ settings in Foobar should probably work too!  But the increased # of bands seemed to make it more difficult for me to get that 550 sound just right...

PS:  I'm using cheap ebay pads which might alter the sound too though...  :\  But I'm really not sure at what extent vs stock pads since these are like 10 years old and the old pads were destroyed when replaced...  Hopefully, doesn't make a huge difference!
I gave it a half ass shot on a couple of Linux media players but sounded worse IMO but then again I only half assed it.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #327 of 517
I gave it a half ass shot on a couple of Linux media players but sounded worse IMO but then again I only half assed it.

Weird!  But yeah hard to transfer EQ settings from one to another with different bands...  Try winamp!  And note also that since the EQ does not boost any frequency and actually reduces all of the spectrum, you'll have to boost volume quite a bit to get the same overall output.  I honestly have trouble seeing how anyone would not prefer the EQ'd sound...  Clear improvement to me! 

Btw did anyone ever get a cost estimate from Sony to replace the cable?  Pretty sure it would be something ridiculous but you never know...

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #329 of 517
  heads up!

Amazon is currently running another V6 special offer not seen since the start of this decade

Thanks! I was in that deal to earn this piece of history finally. And to find out what the huge fuss is all about :wink:

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #330 of 517

Thanks! I was in that deal to earn this piece of history finally. And to find out what the huge fuss is all about :wink:

I'm not sure if the Sony V6 ever got popular in Europe but here in the United States the V6 started as a consumer headphone in 1985 and soon became a big hit for audio professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back