Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Jul 14, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #781 of 1,173
I've wanted a set of R10s for more than a decade now, and have just been staring a the current pair up on yahoo auctions. Just went through the entire thread and have some questions:

• Way back, someone mentioned that base heavy vs. base light can sometimes also be told from the case, i.e. there were slight changes in it over the production lifetime. Any more details on this?
  • Besides the drivers which are unobtainum, what are the other parts that can go bad? From reading the thread it sounds like it's the earpads, the springy head thing attached to the headband, and the "foam" in the ports. Anything else to be aware of?
  • For these parts, are there any alternatives for replacement besides OEM? I see the earpads above, how much did they end up costing? Anything in reguards to the headband piece or the port foam?
  • What are they actually worth these days? The current pair on Yahoo Auctions looks to be sitting at $8500 buyout, but with lots of pad wear and can't tell if it's a base heavy or base light versions. Do the two versions command different premiums these days?
  • Is there a pdf floating around of the service manual? I see several snippets from it in this thread but can't find the source.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #782 of 1,173
Well, there's a lot of speculation around the R10 but to try and help out with some of the most reliable info I've come across:
  • The earliest units are said to be all bass light (first 200 or so) and the last units are said to be bass heavy (last 200-300), and those in the middle alternate and you can't really tell. From the R10 service manual, there are apparently three versions of the drivers (later manuals have a fourth and these are speculated to be CD3000 drivers).
  • The drivers are commonly said to be going bad, but I think this stems from a misunderstanding of the nature of biocellulose drivers. The drivers are a biocellulose composite, they aren't going to rot. That being said, the voice coils are apparently really thin and eventually can break after too much excursion. A theory that makes sense to me is that many dead R10s are because people recabled them and apparently caused some strain to the voice coil in doing so. The foam rings around the drivers do go bad.
  • I think there are some third party pads (maybe even foam rings) being made. I too wish I could get authentic Sony pads as a backup (they were expensive back then and now must be even worse but third party ones might be cheaper).
  • Price seems to be down in the last year or so. I paid quite a bit more two years ago (then again mine was said to be basically new old stock from the original owner, though I have no way of confirming this but it looked new enough). Look at the cable/jack for wear as a sign of use as well, the pads sometimes get mushed just sitting in the case (first hand experience lol). I don't think pricing varies that much by supposed type, but maybe bass light would be more since it seems to have a better reputation. A high serial number (>1000) might be lower as it is speculated it could have CD3000 drivers.
  • Would love to get a copy of this as well.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #783 of 1,173
Just a heads up, I've decided to sell mine. It's been an honor to be a part of this club for a good 4 years but I lost my job back in March due to the pandemic and it's been tough times around here. You can find the ad in the classifieds. Not sure if this sort of "notification of selling" post is frowned upon by the mods, but if it is, they can feel free to delete. I just wanted to give a heads up here in case anyone happens to be looking to buy.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #786 of 1,173
Serial no 869. Light bass.
27 years of love.
But departing with it soon.

That's a true love story. Few people understand such long relationships of decades with "just headphones".
What separates you both?

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #788 of 1,173
@ Adnen Ayed,
I can share your feelings; I sold mine just about one year ago, after over 10 years of faithful service :o2smile:...
as I had other alternatives (STAX, and a more "Work-horse-type " closed phone)
My R-10 found a new home and - I assume - a happy new owner

Regards

Urs

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #790 of 1,173
https://headphone.guru/hifiman-debuts-reference-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone/

I have really a mix feeling watching the news above as a original SONY R10 owner, or even feel being offended. I just can’t believe hifiman came out with a replica, launching a 5000dollars fake R10 as its close back flagship. I always respect hifiman on its innovative design and technology but What...please don’t....

OMG, is there no copyright restrictions what so ever in China? He better pay Sony some loyalty and respect?
C5D4D3DA-1310-4C6A-A219-B875BDE02D53.jpeg

The hifiman guy even compare with the original Sony R10 on the press release... at least for me he is such a copycat since he even copy its name calling it the HE-R10 but mentioned the following in front of press , "I know people out there will accuse us of copying Sony. This product is not paying homage to Sony's design. Sony and I are competitors. Homage or not, all we should care about is making good product. Even though Sony owns more market share, Sony won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. "🤬🤬🤬

I kindly ask your help and please don’t buy copy item which help these shameless people, or in the near future they might come out with bad sounding replica hifiman HE90 or even fake hifiman SR-omega...

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #791 of 1,173
A compare photo of the original and the fake from Twitter, I think the cups are abit smaller than the original but more angled
23280DE9-AC88-46A1-9058-16CED3B8453E.png

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #792 of 1,173
A compare photo of the original and the fake from Twitter
23280DE9-AC88-46A1-9058-16CED3B8453E.png

They have no restraint. I would never do something like that. It sound more like some marketing strategy than an homage. Would have been nice a statement from them together with the new model coming out because they really looks identical...anyway we live in a free world so...

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #793 of 1,173
They have no restraint. I would never do something like that. It sound more like some marketing strategy than an homage. Would have been nice a statement from them together with the new model coming out because they really looks identical...anyway we live in a free world so...
their statement is "Sony won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired." lol

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #794 of 1,173
their statement is "Sony won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired." lol
Money can’t buy class that’s for sure.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #795 of 1,173
Money can’t buy class that’s for sure.

You are right and their statement as an answer make even clearer what kind of people they are. Sure they did research before making the step but even if we all know that just money leads the world I feel shame for them anyway for what they did. Every person in the world with a whit of restraint would avoid to do something like that. Shame on them.
Yes patents expires but dignity is forever and they do not have any left!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back