Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #796 of 1,172
and that thing is more or less similar price with their susvara...
I remember in Currawong youtube video on the susvara he mentioned the reason why hifiman stuff are price so high, since in china things are being applicate only because they are expensive.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #797 of 1,172
https://headphone.guru/hifiman-debuts-reference-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone/

I have really a mix feeling watching the news above as a original SONY R10 owner, or even feel being offended. I just can’t believe hifiman came out with a replica, launching a 5000dollars fake R10 as its close back flagship. I always respect hifiman on its innovative design and technology but What...please don’t....

OMG, is there no copyright restrictions what so ever in China? He better pay Sony some loyalty and respect?
C5D4D3DA-1310-4C6A-A219-B875BDE02D53.jpeg
The hifiman guy even compare with the original Sony R10 on the press release... at least for me he is such a copycat since he even copy its name calling it the HE-R10 but mentioned the following in front of press , "I know people out there will accuse us of copying Sony. This product is not paying homage to Sony's design. Sony and I are competitors. Homage or not, all we should care about is making good product. Even though Sony owns more market share, Sony won't be able to sue me. I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. "🤬🤬🤬

I kindly ask your help and please don’t buy copy item which help these shameless people, or in the near future they might come out with bad sounding replica hifiman HE90 or even fake hifiman SR-omega...
Copyright is a light concept in China.
But " I researched Sony's patents; they are expired. " is the worst excuse I've heard.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #799 of 1,172
I read that Hifiman also said the Sony MDR-R10 didn’t sound very good - I find that kind of talk 100% contradicts them releasing a product clearly based on the original Sony masterpiece
I do not believe they have the know how to produce a close back R10 which sound even similar to the original, their susvara was alright but so inefficient where their electrostatic headphone line are just piece of crap compare to stax and the HE1, especially the poor build quality which they are famous of.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #800 of 1,172
I will say their Susvara sounds really good- however the build quality is no where near the quality of Stax or Sony flagship gear - therefore they should be in a different (lower) price bracket. Until they match Japan for quality control (long way off).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #801 of 1,172
not sure if anyone will be interest, but I found an essay in Japanese regarding the development of bio-cellulose back in the 80s-early90s and how it can be use on different field like audio drivers and preserving food. Also referencing the R10 headphone as the first in the world using bio cellulose.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/fiber1944/52/3/52_3_P115/_pdf

1607565767781.png

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #802 of 1,172
Guys I'm looking for new or even used-but-good genuine Sony R10 pads. A long shot, I know but if someone has something, let me know. I barely had it, bought R10 bass heavy recently to complement my bass light, but had to sent them back due to chanel imbalance :frowning2: I tell this because I had NOS pads with the set and had to send them back too :frowning2: Oh also Hifiman measurements are incorrect. On genuine pads R10 is not as bright, it's very neutral. If you'd like, I can post some measurements including my pad experiments.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #803 of 1,172
Guys I'm looking for new or even used-but-good genuine Sony R10 pads. A long shot, I know but if someone has something, let me know. I barely had it, bought R10 bass heavy recently to complement my bass light, but had to sent them back due to chanel imbalance :frowning2: I tell this because I had NOS pads with the set and had to send them back too :frowning2: Oh also Hifiman measurements are incorrect. On genuine pads R10 is not as bright, it's very neutral. If you'd like, I can post some measurements including my pad experiments.
those are not original but a fellow on the stax board point out that this company make good quality 3rd party pads, if you have the original dimension of a R10 pad i believe they can make something similar.
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #804 of 1,172
those are not original but a fellow on the stax board point out that this company make good quality 3rd party pads, if you have the original dimension of a R10 pad i believe they can make something similar.
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads
Yes I'm working with them on accurate reproduction of R10 pads, unfortunately the ones they make have too big of a hole and are too thick and the result is what you see on hifimans measurements, lol -- a bright beast -- whereas R10 on genuine pads is perfectly neutral.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #805 of 1,172
Yes I'm working with them on accurate reproduction of R10 pads, unfortunately the ones they make have too big of a hole and are too thick and the result is what you see on hifimans measurements, lol -- a bright beast -- whereas R10 on genuine pads is perfectly neutral.

wat hifiman r10 use pads from vesper?

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #806 of 1,172
wat hifiman r10 use pads from vesper?
Measurements certainly look so, or maybe they use something else? It's often the case with Audio Technicas, Final Sonorous and now also Sony flagships (CD3000 included) that they only sound right on certain pads, you can't just change the dimensions hoping they will sound the same.

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #807 of 1,172
Still remember the first time I listening them in around 1990 connect to the also amazing CD system Sony CDP-R1 / DAS-R1.
I was 15 years old 😉

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #808 of 1,172
New to the club with #322!

I have a 4 board balanced b22 with me and wondering if it is worth it to reterminate the R10 to balanced.

Love to hear your suggestions!

May 2, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #810 of 1,172

Users who are viewing this thread

Back