Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #347 of 1,173
$9,684.60.

at least, the seller is also accepting best offer. but the R10 (like some other OOP headphones) is really only for collectors and not audio enthusiasts.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #348 of 1,173
Quote:
To be clear, I said $6,000 was around current (already ridiculously inflated) market value.  6,000 pounds amounts to the most overpriced R10 ever sold.

That is certainly way too high..  6.5k USD is much more reasonable.
Quote:
$9,684.60.

at least, the seller is also accepting best offer. but the R10 (like some other OOP headphones) is really only for collectors and not audio enthusiasts.

They are not just for a collector.  In my case, I enjoy them immensely on a daily basis, but I do handle them with utmost care.  Collectors would just keep them in a box and try to flip them when the market is right.  Just my 2 cents.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #349 of 1,173
I just saw the price and my jaw dropped. Having said that, there's been an R10 in Yahoo Auction Japan for months and not sold...asking price approx USD$12,000. Just recently there's another R10 on Yahoo Auction too for Y390,000. It expired yesterday and no takers so the owner renewed again for same price. That's a more reasonable price of which I would have been so tempted to bid if I didn't have a family :p.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #350 of 1,173
Quote:
I just saw the price and my jaw dropped. Having said that, there's been an R10 in Yahoo Auction Japan for months and not sold...asking price approx USD$12,000. Just recently there's another R10 on Yahoo Auction too for Y390,000. It expired yesterday and no takers so the owner renewed again for same price. That's a more reasonable price of which I would have been so tempted to bid if I didn't have a family :p.

It a risk buying an R10.  However, can you listen to them first before making a purchase?  It is nice to know which version you are getting prior to putting down that much money.  The 1,000,000 Yen asking price for the R10 has been there for over a year now.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #351 of 1,173
That's a decent deal for one, however: 

[size=medium]◇ The ear pads [/size][size=medium]There is some pain in the left ear pads and sag due to aging, and tears like a particularly noticeable missing. And tears are not the other ones for driver protection sheet. ◆ is something like the dirty white and some black thread and scratches to the base that attach the housing to the left ear pads. In addition, the base of the right overall [/size]

[size=medium]there is a sticky thread, light surface scratches, pain. There is also something like the white stains stronger than the left, seen many near the junction of the ear pads.Please check the photo for more information. [/size][size=medium][/size]

[size=medium]◆ Although the adhesion of ear pads has been relatively steady, the number of points seen places where the connection is torn parts inside. It is open in the hand lightly for a photo shoot above, and such gaps are particularly noticeable in normally but I can not. [/size]

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #352 of 1,173
I think this one will sell, as it's never been used at all, totally NOS. Maybe the only one in the world like that?

After all this time be careful burning those babies in though.
:eek:

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #353 of 1,173
Quote:
I think this one will sell, as it's never been used at all, totally NOS. Maybe the only one in the world like that?
After all this time be careful burning those babies in though.
eek.gif

A total NOS is hard to come by.  I bought mine NOS from a dealer in Finland in 2007 and even then...he admitted listening to it twice before. He couldn't resisted either.  Seriously though, I advise the seller to check the operation of the phones first prior to selling.  I'm sure the buyer will have a better peace of mine knowing that his/her phones are in proper operating condition.  Good lucks on the sale but 7.5 K is more reasonable though.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #360 of 1,173
Quote:
someone used the BIN on the near mint R10.

Winning Bid: GBP 5,200.00 (US $8,273.20)

The true winner here is Ebay.  GIven their fees ( 9% on auction, 3% paypal, and and another 9% on shipment), that's almost $1000 going to them. I kindda wonder why the seller didn't try the sell/trade forum here or even audiogon.  Remember, with ebay....the buyer can just claim DOA and get all of his money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back