Sony MDR-MV1
Apr 19, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #123 of 461
Measurement Review by AREGINA
(English subtitles)

There are some very interesting comments but these measurements and their interpretation by the reviewer leave more questions than answers. Also, they seem to be very bassy, more than the MDR-7506 (also measured), which is already bassy (more than, say, the HD-600). But if I am not mistaken, we already got some comments indicating that the MV1 is even lighter in the bass than the 600. These combined make no sense at all.
I hope that we will soon see some measurements from known sources to start understanding its basic tonal character (no substitute of listening). I am very curious about the approach of Sony to neutrality and accuracy.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #126 of 461
There are some very interesting comments but these measurements and their interpretation by the reviewer leave more questions than answers. Also, they seem to be very bassy, more than the MDR-7506 (also measured), which is already bassy (more than, say, the HD-600). But if I am not mistaken, we already got some comments indicating that the MV1 is even lighter in the bass than the 600. These combined make no sense at all.
I hope that we will soon see some measurements from known sources to start understanding its basic tonal character (no substitute of listening). I am very curious about the approach of Sony to neutrality and accuracy.
If any sort of interpretation of that graph can be made (which is always a shot in the dark), I’d say the response would be akin to the DT880 with a bit more sub.

But again, there are various forms of how people perceive ‘neutrality’, whatever that is.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #127 of 461
If any sort of interpretation of that graph can be made (which is always a shot in the dark), I’d say the response would be akin to the DT880 with a bit more sub.

But again, there are various forms of how people perceive ‘neutrality’, whatever that is.
Also, we know nothing of the compensation curves used, or how that jig responds uncompensated. We don't have a clue how an HD-600 would measure on that jig.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #128 of 461
I'm excited. Slightly relaxed ear gain region looks somewhat similar to the Ollo S5X, which (for my preference) has the best tonal balance that tries to mimic speaker setup. I also love the super light weight design. Importance of weight is always understated in this hobby IMO. This should be a comfortable listen for extended sessions. :beerchug:With that, it doesn't appear the driver housing is angled. That is where I usually run into comfort issues. Hope that's not the case here.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #129 of 461

I heard the test on the review, the mdr-7506 is a lot brighter, the MV1 at least on the demo, is much more neutral and also, has bass. Not like someone said earlier, yes, does not make sense...

Subscribed, again...

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #131 of 461
Also, we know nothing of the compensation curves used, or how that jig responds uncompensated. We don't have a clue how an HD-600 would measure on that jig.

It's a 45CA with anthropometric pinna, and the video includes the raw response.

mdrmv1 vs HD650.jpg

Oratory uses a KEMAR but ASR's rig is quite similar.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #132 of 461
Thank you!
It is very interesting to see these FR curves together. A comparison with the HD-650 is very meaningful most of us. Still, a true (simultaneous) comparison with parallel measurements will be more trustworthy. For now, it seems too bassy with a nasty peak above 6 kHz. Practically very U shaped. Hard to believe tbh.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #134 of 461
Here's my first ever product 'review' on Head-Fi! I am merely a humble hobbyist who enjoys music, and that's about it. I am not familiar with audio engineering nor do I work in a studio. I'll leave the charts, measurements and comparisons (with other headphones) to the respected seasoned veterans. Therefore, I feel that submitting this as a comment in this thread feels more appropriate than submitting a full review. I'd like to apologise in advance if I wrote anything wrongly or if it is far from factual. Please, do correct me if I am wrong.
Hello everyone.

I'm new here, but I wanted to share some of my experience with the Sony MDR-MV1. I have been doing music production, mixing, mastering and sound design for years, and I also work as an editor in a sound publication for professionals, and a few days ago they sent me these headphones to publish a review.

Broadly speaking, I quite agree with almost everything that StiggyPlue says, except when he talks about the low frequencies. They are headphones for professional use, that is: mixing, mastering, sound editing, etc. In our sector we cannot work with headphones that throw more bass than the ones in the original audio, because then it would make our work very difficult and would result in unbalanced mixes.

I understand that for the audiophile market they are headphones with less bass than desirable, but for the professional sector they have an excellent bass balance.

I just wanted to comment on that. All the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back