Sony MDR-MV1
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 453

jb2unique

100+ Head-Fier
kv_hero.png

The secret is out, Sony's open back professional monitor headphones just announced in Japan for creators with excellent spatial expression, suitable for production of 3D sound, etc.

Releasing 12 May 2023 (JP)
* US release date - now available
(Subject to change)

Along with the launch of 360VME service, Sony will release the "MDR-MV1" open-back monitor headphones for creators that can maximize the performance of 360VME.

FtcIGHUaIAA0t1a.jpeg

The MDR-MV1 is Sony's Open Back Studio Monitor Headphones for creating spatial and stereo sound with wide frequency range and soundstage feel.

Feature6.jpg

Type
Open back, Dynamic

Driver unit
40 mm (1.58 in)

Power handling capacity
1,500 mW (IEC *1)

Impedance
24 Q at 1 kHz

Sensitivity
100 dB/mW

Frequency response
5 Hz - 80,000 Hz (IEC *1)

Mass
Approx. 223 g (7.87 oz) without cable

Included items
Stereo Headphones, Headphone cable (approx. 2.5 m (98.43 in), stereo phone plug), Plug adapter (approx. 20 cm (1.58 in), stereo phone jack↔ stereo mini plug)

Price: 59,400 yen (USD 399.99)

Feature5_v2.jpg

The MDR-MV1 is tuned by Shunsuke Shiomi, a sixth-generation headphone engineer from Sony who has participated in the development of professional headphone products including MDR-Z1R, MDR-Z7M2 and MDR-M1ST.

Feature1_v2.jpg

The cable uses a 6.3mm stereo standard plug. The included conversion adapter can also be used as a 3.5mm stereo mini plug. The cable is detachable and uses a screw lock ring. Sony will not release a balanced connection cable for the MDR-MV1.

Feature7_v2.jpg

The ear pads are made of suede-like synthetic leather for a comfortable and stable fit. The ear pads are also replaceable.

Feature2.jpg

Availability

Amazon Japan Product Listing
Audio46 in store and online
B & H Photos order page
Find shop near you (US)

Creation and Sound Tuning of MDR-MV1

Mixing In Spatial Audio with MDR-MV1

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 453
Looks like Sony wants to boost the production of 360RA content, this is a smart move. Dolby Atmos requires an entire studio that is validated by Dolby, these might change the game if they do what they claim.

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 453
When arrives in Europe?

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 453
My favourite Japanese Youtube reviewer uploaded a review with a listening demo:

I have timestamped it in the link. Take a look!

In all, I am so excited as it has been so, so long since Sony last released an open back. Now I am wondering if blindly importing this is worth it.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 453
As most people on here are probably not very good at Japanese it would very much appreciated if somebody who is could summarize the sound impressions.

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 453
I pre-ordered one... wonder if it's the right decision.
it would arrive in May
You are wild man. I will wait for the first batch to be out first and read those Japanese reviews first.

As most people on here are probably not very good at Japanese it would very much appreciated if somebody who is could summarize the sound impressions.
I can understand Japanese and basically, where the M1ST was a bit more midbass heavy and the CD900ST is comparatively tinny, the MV1 is in the middle. It has better layering and separation with one youtuber basically saying that with the M1ST/900ST, if you were listening to 5 different people sing, you would hear them in front of you. But with MV1, you can hear them like they are all standing at different positions around you. In other words, its like taking a birds eye view to the track you are listening.

Basically, a lot of opinions is what Sony described the sound to be, like sitting between a pair of studio speakers.

Also, initial reviews praised the fact that the new suede earpads do not allow the driver to touch the ear like it did in the M1ST and 900ST so it feels very comfortable.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Additionally, this reviewer mentioned that transients are fast on this headphone compared to the M1ST.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back