Sony MDR-MV1
Apr 23, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #136 of 461
Balanced cable ready to go 👍
IMG_0365.jpeg

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #140 of 461
What cable is that? I'd like to get one before these come in from Sweetwater.
Stock cable that came with the M1ST’s it had a 6.3 plug that I re terminated to the 4.4mm pentaconn, the stock cable that comes with the MV1’s is the same type so you can either do the same but if you don’t want to cut the cable you can always make one up, it uses standard Sony wiring at the headphone input side 3.5mm trrs L+R+R-L- like the one I made up for my balanced detachable V6’s.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Or buy/use a stock Sony balanced cable for the MDR1A / 1AM2’s. I’m sure you’ll get one on fleabay or Amazon 3rd party cheap enough, personally I make my own with mogami quad core copper cable it’s quality cable about £2 per metre 4.8mm overall diameter, just strip off the outer casing and paracord it or leave as is if you don’t mind the outer casing and just solder on your 3.5 trrs / 4.4 trrrs or whatever your source plug needs to be.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #145 of 461
Would you mind measuring the inner pad height when you get chance please?

They look really small but hoping they might actually be larger than they appear to be in photos...
About 2.2 cm (0.87 inches). The biggest problem with the ear pads is that, although they are comfortable and pleasant to the touch, they are very "soft", so, as StiggyPlue already commented in his review, the outermost part of the ears rubs against the drivers.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #146 of 461
About 2.2 cm (0.87 inches). The biggest problem with the ear pads is that, although they are comfortable and pleasant to the touch, they are very "soft", so, as StiggyPlue already commented in his review, the outermost part of the ears rubs against the drivers.

Thanks.

Sounds like the MDR-1AM2 where the pad depth is quite generous but because the filling is so soft it pretty much completely collapses when wearing so the drivers end up touching the ears.

What's the inner pad diameter height please? My ears are over 7cm tall so I struggle to find many pads to accomodate them unfortunately!

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #147 of 461
Thanks.

Sounds like the MDR-1AM2 where the pad depth is quite generous but because the filling is so soft it pretty much completely collapses when wearing so the drivers end up touching the ears.

What's the inner pad diameter height please? My ears are over 7cm tall so I struggle to find many pads to accomodate them unfortunately!
Something less than 7 cm. They are quite compact studio headphones.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #149 of 461
Initial impressions good a bit splashy at the very top but that can be sorted (this is my opinion but I’m upper treble sensitive) and need really to give them some time before I do any modding. Pads not a problem for me, fit well and my ears don’t touch the drivers but after some use and they start to compress a little maybe it will become an issue but for now all good, still ordered a selection of oval style pads to roll. Build quality good very light, not the same quality as a £100 more MDR Z7 / M2’s or really the M1ST’s but they are for long term studio use so I can see the point using all over lightweight materials is better. Fully open back as in there are no restrictions on the outer cups like the beyer 900’s etc holes to the sides as well, hold to the light and you can see backs of the drivers, so many holes / vents make it easier to mod later if needed ( hopefully won’t but you never know 🤣) cable good quality as expected, same one as the M1ST so balanced mod possible. Only tried out briefly with a selection of Sony gear WM1A / WM1ZM2 and PHA3/PHA2A Dac amps, sounds good out of the box spacious sounding, good bass and clear vocals. I’m only half hour in to using them as I’m busy with other things just wanted to make sure they weren’t a DOA set, so I’m not in anyway in a position to advise if they are worth a purchase or not and even then I probably wouldn’t advise anyone how to spend their money, my testing of headphones is very basic, put them on and have a listen. I either like as is or maybe a possible mod to suit my tastes, it’s nice to see Sony still developing headphones for studio and wired preferred listeners (thank god they have a professional division) long may this continue, although at £400 I at least expected a dust bag for them included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back