Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #812 of 1,311
I just got my pair in the mail, listened to them non-stop for the past 30 minutes.  :)  So far, they're amazing for their size.  However, I'm a bit spoiled by listening through my M50s almost exclusively so the quality of the sound isn't blowing me away, but I'm not one to freak out anyway.  You might be the strongest midget around but you're still a midget.  Does that make sense?  IDK

Moving on...

They sound fantastic and I have no regrets paying for them.  I have no experience with IEMs, (at least quality ones), just sub $40 pairs.  I'm about to ride my bike to work, so we'll see how they sound with wind, as I've heard a lot about being unusable in wind.  Other than that, everything sounds just as it should I think.  I'm not sure I'll ever understand all the subtleties of what other people hear and describe in long reviews, but I do know I like them.

One last note: I might have chosen poorly on the first few songs I listened to through these, but they seem to be sounding better and better as I listen.  Perhaps I'm just getting adjusted to them :)

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #814 of 1,311
Received my replacement pair yesterday and have, since, been listening to them non-stop.

I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I actually found the included insertion instructions VERY useful.   Being a little more seasoned with IEM insertion, who really reads the instructions, right?  Well, the (initially) cumbersome design of the EX600 makes a lot more sense once they are inserted as the directions indicate.

With my old pair, I was inserting these the same way I inserted other universal IEMs (angled upward, following the contour of my inner ear).  I found the process a bit painful cause the odd driver housing would jam up against the upper and lower parts of my canal opening.. but once they were in, the comfort was supreme.

The instructions recommended inserting them at a near parallel angle to your ears.. doing so, they "snapped" into place perfectly.  The design really makes sense to me know since the angled part of the driver housing doesn't hurt and actually secures the phone when properly inserted.  I was, frankly, quite surprised by how much better the EX600 sound and even more impressed with the comfort.  I'm getting better isolation, a more cohesive sound, and these rival even the most comfortable universal IEMs I've tried.  I took a walk this morning when there was a steady breeze and the wind noise was not an issue for me.  I heard it, but it didn't interfere with the music.

Honestly, the EX600 sound better than they did the first time around.  What we have here is a phone that punches SERIOUSLY above it's price range.  The bass in particular has made a tremendous improvement since inserting these properly.  The cohesion, clarity, and dynamics these phones possess is nearly UNRIVALED in the price range.  The midrange has such attack, crispness, and detail.  Instrument separation and soundstage accuracy are stunning.  Provided one use the correct tips and inserts them properly, the treble has excellent detail and extension.. same goes for the bass.

Needless to say, my "GR07 vs EX600 battle royale" has resumed.. and the result could be a little different this time.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #815 of 1,311

Quote:
Received my replacement pair yesterday and have, since, been listening to them non-stop.

I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I actually found the included insertion instructions useful.   With my old pair, I was inserting these the same way I inserted other universal IEMs (angled upward, following the contour of my inner ear).  I found the process a bit painful cause the odd driver housing would jam up against the upper and lower parts of my canal opening.. but once they were in, the comfort was supreme.

The instructions recommended inserting them at a near parallel angle to your ears.. doing so, they "snapped" into place perfectly.  The design really makes sense to me know since the angled part of the driver housing doesn't hurt and actually secures the phone when properly inserted.  I was, frankly, quite surprised by how much better the EX600 sound and even more impressed with the comfort.  I'm getting better isolation, a more cohesive sound, and these rival even the most comfortable universal IEMs I've tried.  I took a walk this morning when there was a steady breeze and the wind noise was not an issue for me.  I heard it, but it didn't interfere with the music.

Needless to say, my personal GR07 vs EX600 battle royal has resumed.

I also happen to have the EX500s and the 'wind noise' issue is pretty similar to that of the EX600s/EX1000s, yet I don't recall people ever mentioning it or complaining about it! I use my EX600s/EX1000s exclusively at home - a personal choice as I don't like wearing IEMs outside, except my EX500s, but very rarely and mostly for podcasts - and in hot summer days I often use a large fan placed just a few feet in front of me and the 'wind noise' is a non-issue, ie it doesn't bother me at all unless I'm just a few inches away from it.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #816 of 1,311
Quote:
Needless to say, my "GR07 vs EX600 battle royale" has resumed.. and the result could be a little different this time.

I'd have just as tough a time deciding between either to be honest. The GR07 bears that 'do no wrong' sound, but then again, to my ears, so does the EX600. They're both certainly heavy contenders for the title of 'best bang for buck'. Looking forward to whichever one comes out on top for you my friend.
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #817 of 1,311
Sonically, they're different enough (for me) to keep both.. so I'm not concerned about deciding on one over the other.  Both can blissfully share a place in my collection.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #818 of 1,311
I agree. I was listening to the W4 on the way home from work yesterday evening; I popped in the EX600 when I got home and listened to that until bed time; then I popped in the GR07 as I tried to go to sleep, and wore it to work this morning. I have never rotated IEMs so much in my life. My poor SM2 (which I love) is getting no love right now.

Ironically, although I still have the loaner EX1000 (and it's better than it's little brother), I don't gravitate to it that much at all. For some reason i rather listen to the EX600. Now this may also be because subconsciously I know it's not mine, and I don't want to get too attached to its sound. I will be sending it to it's next destination shortly.

Here's the think about bought the EX1000 and the EX600 for me though: while I do enjoy (love even) the sound of the Sonys, neither is comfortable for me. Both are tolerable but not comfortable. I've never had this issue with a IEM before, not even the TF10. So while I definitely enjoy the EX600 enough to keep it, I think that may also be a reason why I am not into a rush to buy the EX100. The GR07 and W4 just disappears in my ears. At this point there is really no reason to argue which one sounds the best between the GR07, EX600 and W4, IMO. All three are fantastic to my ears.

Quote:
Sonically, they're different enough (for me) to keep both.. so I'm not concerned about deciding on one over the other.  Both can blissfully share a place in my collection.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #820 of 1,311

Quote:
I agree. I was listening to the W4 on the way home from work yesterday evening; I popped in the EX600 when I got home and listened to that until bed time; then I popped in the GR07 as I tried to go to sleep, and wore it to work this morning. I have never rotated IEMs so much in my life. My poor SM2 (which I love) is getting no love right now.

Ironically, although I still have the loaner EX1000 (and it's better than it's little brother), I don't gravitate to it that much at all. For some reason i rather listen to the EX600. Now this may also be because subconsciously I know it's not mine, and I don't want to get too attached to its sound. I will be sending it to it's next destination shortly.

Here's the think about bought the EX1000 and the EX600 for me though: while I do enjoy (love even) the sound of the Sonys, neither is comfortable for me. Both are tolerable but not comfortable. I've never had this issue with a IEM before, not even the TF10. So while I definitely enjoy the EX600 enough to keep it, I think that may also be a reason why I am not into a rush to buy the EX100. The GR07 and W4 just disappears in my ears. At this point there is really no reason to argue which one sounds the best between the GR07, EX600 and W4, IMO. All three are fantastic to my ears.

I seem to be in the same boat as you regarding the fit of the EX600's. I have gotten them to the point where they don't cause discomfort anymore however they are not comfortable either. They always have this mildly annoying "present" feeling.

Also, I agree regarding their sound quality, I am still amazed every time I hear them that they cost $140. The sound really does rank up their with the top tier universals I have heard/owned *CK10, MTPC, TF10, W3, UM3X* They seem to do a good job at everything while having no inherent fault except for the ergonomics.

My Sunrise Xcape IE should be arriving in the next few days so I will post some updates/impressions when those arrive. The Xcape IE have a regular old straight barrel design that has in the past worked well for my ears so we shall see how that turns out.

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #822 of 1,311
I'm surprised there's not more people that find the EX600 harsh!

I'm listening to violin on high volume right now and I like it a lot but I thought quite a few people would find the emphasis spike top sibilant for their ears!

Sometimes on the high notes the strings really sound like glass.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #823 of 1,311

Quote:
I'm surprised there's not more people that find the EX600 harsh!

I'm listening to violin on high volume right now and I like it a lot but I thought quite a few people would find the emphasis spike top sibilant for their ears!

Sometimes on the high notes the strings really sound like glass.

I find this more with the EX1000, but I think it's true that you can only go so far with the Sony in volume before it's too much for my ears. The EX600 has smoothed out considerably for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back