Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #796 of 1,311

Quote:
man! i wish i had a lot of extra tips from other earphone brands like most of you guys. all i have are the sennheiser tips from my cx500 and IE8 and now the sony hybrids. i keep hearing good things about monster tips.

about the cable, have you guys noticed a slight bump/crumple/deformation (whatever u guys wanna call it) on the memory wires of your ex600? i think mine developed because of my constant experimentation with the fit when i first got it. turning and twisting for short. i feel very confident about the EX cables though. these built-in memory wires by sony is genius! these things are thick!!! it's a wonder to me why no other companies have copied these yet.

yes the monster tips are good, but IMO i dont find them very good for IEMs that need to be worn over the back of the ear like the EX600 . thoroughly enjoyed them with my MTPC which i used to own though.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #798 of 1,311

Quote:
[...]
To be completely honest, these sound like $300 or more IEM, not the $140 I spent on them. [...]

Yep, they sound way better than $140 USD, which is why I tell people looking at $100 IEM's to shell out another $40 and get something really good instead! Most of them don't listen though.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #801 of 1,311

Quote:
I finally caved in a bought a pair of EX600's two days ago through Amazon; they arrived today.

My first impressions (short version): 
eek.gif

My first impressions (long version): I'm astonished by how good their SQ is right off-the-bat... These seriously are one of the best IEM I've ever tried. The highs are wonderful and not too sparkly/shrill (my definition of "sparkly"), the midrange; oh my God the midrange! I have lately been craving an IEM that had a great midrange and was sated with the FX700, but I must say that I'm enjoying the EX600's midrange far more than I did the FX700. I'm not saying the FX700's midrange is bad, it's just not as forward as the EX600's are. Now onto the bass... Wow! These EX600's hit it just right! Not too much, not too little; they're perfect IMO. 

To be completely honest, these sound like $300 or more IEM, not the $140 I spent on them. These are game changers (as well as the GR-07 which I still need to hear!) for price/performance. 

Now to see how they stack up against the e-Q5, which is coming tomorrow...

Last thing I remember (a few months back?) you were asking/wondering about the EX1000s.

Yes, the EX600 is an amazingly good sounding IEM though lately it hasn't been getting the attention it rightly deserves. I agree the EX600 sounds better than quite a few $300 - $400 IEMs. I also find the EX600s (and EX1000s & EX800/7550s) some of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever tried.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #804 of 1,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Last thing I remember (a few months back?) you were asking/wondering about the EX1000s.

Yes, the EX600 is an amazingly good sounding IEM though lately it hasn't been getting the attention it rightly deserves. I agree the EX600 sounds better than quite a few $300 - $400 IEMs. I also find the EX600s (and EX1000s & EX800/7550s) some of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever tried.

You are correct. I think in getting the EX600 it gives me a good idea of what to expect from the EX1000, which I very much want to hear after listening to the EX600.

^ A thousand times yes! I, apparently, got the perfect fit right away with the small foam/silicone tips they included, and didn't take them out for, oh, five hours or so. Not once did I feel any pressure or pain on my ears, which is truly remarkable as every other IEM I have owned/tried has caused at least a little pain in the two hours of listening; some more than others (the TF10 felt like I had a serrated blade in my ear canal...)

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #806 of 1,311
I'm just gonna keep listening to these until my Teclast battery goes flat
biggrin.gif

It's not like my trusty EX700's where I have to take a break every half hour lol!

The EX600's are a highly enjoyable IEM.... I'm a little bit annoyed at myself for starting to analyze the flaws now after extended listening instead of just enjoying them :/  The ~6kHz spike has become quite apparent to my ears now but it sounds really good, unlike in the EX700 where it was so-so, Sony was really aiming for a certain sound, for a long time! and they pulled it off this time, there is no "accident" in the sound of the EX600, it sounds so good for an IEM, it's really a flagship product from Sony, one of the best pioneers of audio reproduction imho, I still like the EX700's for what they are but I'm so impressed with the new EX series and the sound they can replicate in 16mm drivers!
I feel more inspired to compare the EX600's to my full-size floorstanding speakers than any of the IEM's lying on my desk
biggrin.gif
 I'm really happy and trying to not analyze the flaws...

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #807 of 1,311
Heyy..... I just noticed I've been listening to the EX600 with a 75 ohm impedance adaptor for about 3 hours, it slipped my mind it was there, I guess the extra 75 ohm doesn't sound half bad then
biggrin.gif
, pretty soothing on the ears actually, hmm I just took it away and they sound more "alive" now.... err putting the 75 ohm back on
biggrin.gif
 ahh yeah much better... it smooths out the sound, kinda nice.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #809 of 1,311
Hey Kiteki

glad your happy with them!

gonna have to do better if you want to ride the hysterical short bus with me though, funny thing, it seems like I ride alone alot, lol,

what do you get when you cross an EX with a ZO, why something EXtraZOentifically great that is! lol  , with an EX
anyways 
beerchug.gif
! and welcome to the club!

listening to them is the highlight of my day!   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back