Sony MDR-7506
Aug 31, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 184
This headphone is the perfect choice for any budget oriented audiophile. They last for decades if you treat them right, you can switch to velour pads for extra comfort. Plug them through any amp for extra juice and use some EQ and you will get sound that is worth three times what the sony's cost. I auditioned the shures, and the headfi favorite m50 and to be honest, I couldn't get what all the hype was all about. Many like to say that it is an outdated headphone (been around since the 80's I think) and that there is better technology out there etc etc.

I will just say this, the 7506 is never leaving my house, and many other more expensive headphones have come and gone. We all hear differently and ymmv.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 184
The 7501's dont seem to be nearly as sturdy as the 7506's.  The are mostly plastic not metal.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #18 of 184

Quote:
The NEW MDR-7510 is a bit better IMO.  I have BOTH.

MDR-V6 -> MDR-7506, MDR-ZX700 -> MDR-7510?

Am I right in this logic? From what I've read, the ZX700 doesn't have the sparkly highs of the V6, but has better mids.. I'd chalk it up to personal preference. Plus, the V6 is more durable than the ZX700, and the ZX700s don't fold.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 184
I dont really notice a big difference between the V6's and the 7506's.  One just says Professional on the side and the other says for Digital. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 184

Quote:
I dont really notice a big difference between the V6's and the 7506's.  One just says Professional on the side and the other says for Digital. 

this discussion is ageless
tongue.gif
, I think the differences between the two are just the plugs, and regarding sound....I can't hear any either.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 184
See Ive always wondered if I would like Sennheisers more, they look more stylish, for example and I hear that they sound better (im talking about the HD 595)

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 184
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16967&postcount=43

There's the difference between the V6 and the 7506. The 7506 has a separate ground for each channel, the V6 uses a common ground. I believe that this gives the V6 a slight crossfeed-like effect, which is why the 7506 are marketed more toward professionals who don't want that sort of thing.

Other than that, they are the same. Same enclosure, driver, etc. The sticker is different and the jack is different, but those things don't make a difference.

Thanks to Head-Fi user Kevin Brown for clearing this up for me

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #23 of 184
I don't think the ZX700 is better than the V6.  I think the MDR-7510 is better than the MDR-7506.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 184

Quote:
See Ive always wondered if I would like Sennheisers more, they look more stylish, for example and I hear that they sound better (im talking about the HD 595)

I have both the MDR-V6 and HD558.  I'm usually listening to the HD558.  I'm a fan of open-back headphones and they are a little more comfortable for me.  In fact I'm wearing the HD558 right now.  Let me do some A-B listening of the two and see what major differences I can hear...

*edit

OK, setup is playing a couple FLAC's through toslink to mixamp.  HD558 has the foam removal mod and a shorter cable (it's still a stock sennheiser, just shortened it, shouldn't be any different but mentioning it anyway).  The MDR-v6 has the velour pads.  Also the v6 could probably be considered to be still in it's burn in stage since I probably only have 15-20 hours on it.  The HD558 I've had probably over 50 hours if not more.

First song was orbital - lush 3-1.  Biggest differences I can hear is the v6 has more boomy bass and the highs don't sound "right."  Not sure how else to explain it.  I tested the v6 first so I didn't have the hd558 to compare it to.  Maybe muffled or more noisy.  With the HD558 things were more uniform (as sennheiser is know for).  The bass was more subdued and the highs had more detail to it.

Second song was cardigans - erase/rewind.  Again the v6 had more boomy bass.  In neither song was really a distraction, just different.  The mids and highs had some big differences when I was A-Bing between the two.  With the v6 the vocals sounded more distant.  Not talking soundstage here, just distant or tinny.  With the HD558 the vocals sounded fuller and had more detail to it.  I was actually quite shocked just how much of a difference I could hear between the two.

Now keep in mind the v6 is ~$65 and HD558 is ~$170.  Also v6 is closed and HD558 is open.  If you're commuting to work or school you'd want the v6 or you'll be hearing everyone around you.  Library may be bad for the HD558 as well although in my experience audio doesn't leak out too much at normal or quieter volumes (which you would probably have in a library anyway since it's relatively quiet).

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 184

Quote:
I don't think the ZX700 is better than the V6.  I think the MDR-7510 is better than the MDR-7506.

And I'm saying that since the V6 is almost the same as the 7506, and that the ZX700 is almost the same as the 7510, the comparisons should carry over at least a little. 

Your headphone collection is interesting by the way.. Who owns a V6 AND a 7506? Or the HD600, 650 AND 800?

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #26 of 184
I have a 7506 at home, and we use both v6 and 7506 in the studio. So I have done multiple tests and I just don't understand what in the world people talk about when they say they sound different.

Speaking of the sennheiser...the 558 sounds terrible to me. everything is just veiled, typical of that brand. I do like the hd25 though...

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #27 of 184

Quote:

I enjoy the regular pads that I sewed the inner seam that's glued together. Then I added a foam strip or you can use tissue paper to the backing of the pads to push the back to support on your head.

That reduced pressure and added more bass and comfort around my ear.

EDIT:

MDR-7509HD's are some of the greatest headphone's I've ever had a chance to listen to. And I've listened to a massive amount of headphones.

How would you compare the 7509HD's to the V6's? Overall more refined sound? Bigger soundstage? More detailed? How's the bass extension? lol Take your time. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #28 of 184

Quote:
There's the difference between the V6 and the 7506. The 7506 has a separate ground for each channel, the V6 uses a common ground. I believe that this gives the V6 a slight crossfeed-like effect, which is why the 7506 are marketed more toward professionals who don't want that sort of thing.

Other than that, they are the same. Same enclosure, driver, etc. The sticker is different and the jack is different, but those things don't make a difference.

You got it.  Some people will say there's a difference and hopefully they're not fooling themselves.  As I haven't had an appreciable amount of head time with the V6, I couldn't weigh in.  Even if there's a difference, maybe it's not enough for some to care.  What's going to matter most a) is what difference you perceive and b) how much you care about it.  Because it's strongly arguable around here, the best thing is to listen to both, but if you can't, just know that there's no small school of thought that the products are interchangeable.

Quote:
I have a 7506 at home, and we use both v6 and 7506 in the studio. So I have done multiple tests and I just don't understand what in the world people talk about when they say they sound different.

Like that.

EDIT: I love my MDR-7506, by the way.  I gotta get them back!

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 184
Regarding the difference between the 7506 and the V6, there is also this frequency response graph to take into account:

The two headphones' frequency response is quite similar in character but different enough to be audible. The 7506 has more emphasis on the midrange compared to the V6, whereas the V6 seems to have more bass and brighter treble. I am not sure if the seperate grounds of the 7506 would be responsible for this variation in frequency response compared to the v6, if the two headphones indeed do use the exact same driver. It doesn't seem likely, though. More likely is that the two headphones used for collecting this data were from different manufacturing runs, or perhaps even from two different factories.

Either way, it seems that there is indeed some difference between the two cans, or at least that it is possible that some models have a slightly different sound signature. The differences are not dramatic but they are there.

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 184
driver part number is the same as I recall reading in several threads, in fact every part number is the same except the cup with the engraved v6 or 7506 in it, stickers and plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back