Sony MDR-7506
Mar 4, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #106 of 184
Are there any replacement pads for the 7506, that have ear openings the same size or larger than the original pads? The pics of the velour ones appear to have smaller ear openings.

Thanks.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #107 of 184
One of my friends has a pair of the velour pads, and they look to be the same size as the leather ones. They have a pretty big ear opening. I would say that it's about as minimal as you can get while still keeping the integrity of the pads.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #109 of 184
According to measurements posted in reviews and in answers to questions on the Beyerdynamic EDT250V Headphone Ear Pads Amazon product page, they are almost exactly the same size as the Sony original pads.  I don't know anything about the Auray pad!  Which pad are you talking about?  Got a product code or model number or part number for them?

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #110 of 184
So, I just found the Auray pad product page on Amazon, and the most helpful review has this to say re: original V6/7506 pads (emphasis mine):

I also didn't expect them to outperform the original pads. But wow, what a pleasant surprise. Two things that are greatly enhanced by these pads. They isolate sound much better than the stock pads. When people try to talk to me, I can only see their mouths move. I can't even hear a peep. And no one can hear what I am listening to. There is very little to no sound leakage, so I can blare my music without bothering those around me. Secondly,they are so comfortable. The open area of the pads is actually larger than the stock pads. And the pads themselves are a LOT thicker. I can't believe how comfortable these pads are. I have yet to have any sort of pain during extended use. The headphones almost feel like they are floating when I have them on. These greatly reduced the pinching feel that some with larger heads experience with the MDR-V6 cans.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #112 of 184
How would you guys describe the clamping force of the 7506? I've had problems with other over the ear cans clamping down too hard on my glasses frame, and having to return them. 

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #113 of 184
  How would you guys describe the clamping force of the 7506? I've had problems with other over the ear cans clamping down too hard on my glasses frame, and having to return them. 

Thanks.

I will double check tonight, but from memory, I would say that the 7506 clamping force is on a par with a broken in pair of Grado SR225's, and is similar too, but probably a little less than Sennheiser HD-595 / 598, and definitely noticeably less than the Senn HD-600's or the ATH-M50's.

I have no trouble at all wearing glasses along with the 7506's (or HD595's).  However, I have a friend who owns 7506's and he found them to pinch too much against his glasses so that he didn't like to wear both at the same time.  Could be his frames were beefier, or perhaps he was just more sensitive, but I don't find it uncomfortable at all to wear reading glasses along with the 7506's.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #115 of 184
Thanks. I think my problem is my glasses frame is too thick. The last can I had to return was the Senn. HD558, clamped too hard over my glasses. 

So I just checked out the 7506's and 595's and while the clamping force is a bit less on the Sony's, the foam is harder, so I'm pretty sure that if you had trouble with the 558's, you'll have just as much discomfort woth the 7506's with the stock pads and without un-bending the headband.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #117 of 184
Well I just got home and the 7506 were delivered today. On a Sunday? Amazon said shipped by USPS. Weird.

These cups are SHALLOW. This should be called an on ear, not over ear. The way they are now, I doubt I will be keeping them.

Has anyone used the "rope on the inside of the pads" or any other way to get more ear depth?

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #118 of 184
I think given that the pad completely surrounds the ear that it is correctly termed. On my head, the pads do not touch my ears and my ears do not touch the driver grills. But obviously, YMMV!

I would be careful messing with the stock pads. They are anything but robust! One of the other pad choices might ne the better path. Or return them to Amazon! :)

Give em a listen first, though!

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #119 of 184
I think given that the pad completely surrounds the ear that it is correctly termed. On my head, the pads do not touch my ears and my ears do not touch the driver grills. But obviously, YMMV!

I would be careful messing with the stock pads. They are anything but robust! One of the other pad choices might ne the better path. Or return them to Amazon!
smily_headphones1.gif

Give em a listen first, though!

Thanks. They sound very nice, but they're bothering my ears after only 15 minutes. Oh well.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #120 of 184
Got these today for general monitoring use and they're just as advertised... excellent for monitoring, great isolation, awesome build, and decent sound even for music listening.

Almost went for this headphone called Apex HP100 though, which is by the looks of it alone, a complete 7506 clone; 

They're even supposed to sound similar, apparently. They do have one trump card in that the cable is detachable and comes with a straight cable alternative along with the standard coiled. I almost went for it just for that option alone, but decided to just go for the sure thing in the Sonys in the end.

That's what Sony badly needs to do though, is to put detachable cable on these and call it 7506-II or whatever... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back