Sony MDR-7506
Apr 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #122 of 184
At the same price, why would you buy a clone?

They had me quite intrigued... they were actually a bit cheaper (though only by $20 bucks) and when I demoed them clones at the store they actually sounded surprisingly close enough 7506's (of course, no extended comparisons or anything but just generally)... and their detachable cable option was very, very tempting as well... plus also just the novelty of trying something completely unknown (there are literally no reviews for them out there) 
tongue.gif
... but yeah, eventually, I thought to myself I just wanted something that works well for my use and Sonys are tested and true, so I ended up with them anyway.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #123 of 184

They had me quite intrigued... they were actually a bit cheaper (though only by $20 bucks) and when I demoed them clones at the store they actually sounded surprisingly close enough 7506's (of course, no extended comparisons or anything but just generally)... and their detachable cable option was very, very tempting as well... plus also just the novelty of trying something completely unknown (there are literally no reviews for them out there) 
tongue.gif
... but yeah, eventually, I thought to myself I just wanted something that works well for my use and Sonys are tested and true, so I ended up with them anyway.

Buy 7506's, like K_19, did, people.  One of the best closed (if not the very best) vocal reference headphones of all time, BECAUSE of the dip.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #124 of 184
Personally, I think the cable on the 7506's is one of the best ever on a headphone.  I love the coil--wasn't sure I would, but I really do--and the connector shell is metal, and has that screw on 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor, which is the best of its kind.  Unlike simple push on adaptors, it will never come off when you are inserting and removing it from a 1/4" socket.  I also wouldn't want a detachable cable--one more thing to fail or to develop contact resistances or intermittent connection.

May 6, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #126 of 184
I wanted to make a new thread but I can't

So I'll just post it here

I left my newly bought mdr 7506 on max volume for 1-2 hour. Will it damage my headphone?

I highly doubt it.  The 7506's are pretty bomb proof electrically.  I mean, don't intentionally abuse them or anything, but if by "max" volume you mean max listening volume, or max from an iphone or other portable device, I suspect your 7506's are just fine.  If, on the other hand, you maxed out the volume of your Schiit Lyr 2 and left the 7506's plugged into it this way for 1-2 hours, then, ah, yeah, they're done for.

May 16, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #127 of 184
Absolutely the best headphone I have used for
sound and comfort. One thing all 7506 owners should do is to change the earpads. Get the sheepskin leather pads from B&H this headphone has gone from best to absolutely outstanding in comfort and sonic audio quality. What a huge difference these pads make, they are expensive but well worth every penny. I use them mostly for movies and gaming and couldn't be more happy with the sound. I can wear these for hours on end with no discomfort at all. I have used sennheiser 558, akg q701, audio technica m50x, beyerdinamics cop. Hands down the 7506 for me is the superior headphone in all aspects. A very solid 5/5 for everything.

May 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #128 of 184
Absolutely the best headphone I have used for
sound and comfort. One thing all 7506 owners should do is to change the earpads. Get the sheepskin leather pads from B&H this headphone has gone from best to absolutely outstanding in comfort and sonic audio quality. What a huge difference these pads make, they are expensive but well worth every penny.

Are you talking about those Auray pads? I was actually thinking of getting the extra deep ones (which I don't think is the version you are talking about)...

Any significant sound differences you notice with your pads vs stock pads? I'd definitely like some comfort but wary of possible sound changes as I love their sound with stock earpads (though a bit less sibilance would be nice).

May 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #130 of 184
Are you talking about those Auray pads? I was actually thinking of getting the extra deep ones (which I don't think is the version you are talking about)...The sheepskin leather pads are different pads than one you mentioned. This pads is miles above the stock pads in terms comfort and sound quality. They are shallow but because they are all leather and of high quality me ears did not feel any discomfort even after several hours of use. No sibliance is present. All aspects of sound quality were greatly improved. My search for the go to headphone for all my listening needs have been met with this headphone. And the pads made a world of difference for me.

Any significant sound differences you notice with your pads vs stock pads? I'd definitely like some comfort but wary of possible sound changes as I love their sound with stock earpads (though a bit less sibilance would be nice).

May 17, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #131 of 184
Guess I'll finally post in this thread. I have owned the Sony MDR-7506 for awhile now. It is one of my favorite headphones. Very comfortable and easy to use. It's my go-to headphone for videos. Aside from occasional "muder your ears" nastiness in some of the treble frequencies, it has no major problems for me with music. I like it more than many headphones that are far more expensive, including the Sennheiser HD 700. Considering I only paid $85 for this headphone, that is an impressive feat. One of the few headphones I like more than the 7506 overall is the Focal Spirit Professional. However, contrary to what many say about how neutral the FSP is, it's actually on the darker side of neutral. (Just look at the measurements. A good number of the high-end flagships are more neutral.) The 7506 has a noticeably greater sense of clarity and effortlessness, despite how it can sometimes sound more thin and harsh in comparison, and it lacks the physicality and impact the FSP excels at. But even compared to a headphone I like more, I still prefer the 7506 20-50% of the time, depending on the song. (For the record, I love nearly all types of music.) Last night, I was listening to a magnificent opera piece ("Diva" from the Blood+ anime soundtrack) with the 7506, and it sounded more like real life than any other headphone I have tested the track on -- even more so with JPLAYmini 6 and Fidelizer 6.7. I ordered the Yamaha HPH-MT220 yesterday as well and will receive it in three days. We'll see how it measures up!

May 20, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #132 of 184
That'll be interesting Alchemist. I also have the 7506 and 220. I won't say too much since it may 'colour' what you say.

I really like the 7506 to work with, but then it's eq'd. At home, it's a little more hit and miss, depending on what you're listening to. I find the easiest way to control the treble zing is just back down the volume a fraction and then most stuff sits well musically.

What would make me nervous of buying a new pair though is the number of 'fakes' flying about. Even some sellers aren't aware that they're selling fakes!! The copies are pretty hard to tell if you don't have a real one to compre with.

May 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #133 of 184
That'll be interesting Alchemist. I also have the 7506 and 220. I won't say too much since it may 'colour' what you say.

I really like the 7506 to work with, but then it's eq'd. At home, it's a little more hit and miss, depending on what you're listening to. I find the easiest way to control the treble zing is just back down the volume a fraction and then most stuff sits well musically.

What would make me nervous of buying a new pair though is the number of 'fakes' flying about. Even some sellers aren't aware that they're selling fakes!! The copies are pretty hard to tell if you don't have a real one to compre with.

Published a few thoughts on the 220 so far:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702029/focal-spirit-professional-impressions-thread/1320#post_11621077

Working on a full-length review, but I may end up scrapping it.

Oh, and could you link me to photos of fakes compared to authentic ones?

May 21, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #134 of 184
Thanks. I always enjoy reading other peoples' outlooks when I have the same gear to see exactly what they're saying.

I'll do the links..... Just getting up!!

I'd say that's the most worrying thing about the MDR7506. There are quite a lot flying around .... Also on second hand market now because many would be unaware.

The easiest to pt since some are a bit difficult are...

Bag - Sony should be embossed in white.
Cable - should be matt, not glossy.
Stickers - tend to be fixed quite close to the words above.
Headband - no folds underneath, should be flat(ish) and stitching is really neat and tight.
Cloth in box is glued neatly.
Guarantee should be on semi glossed paper and not matt finish.
Impedance of drivers not always 63ohms.
Made in Thailand not China.

The ones that are difficult are the packaging ones since we don't have a real one to compare.

I had a fake for quite a long time. I even used it to work with. Replaced it recently after meeting a Sony rep who looked at mine for me and ripped it apart to look at the drivers. He then gave me a real one.

The obvious part is the sound, but then again, you don't know until you hear it. The real one is more full bodied in the bass and not as harsh as the copy that was like a lemon with ice. It worked fine though and I used it, but only for short periods because I found them fatiguing.... Even though the treble wasn't that extended. It just seemed to have a massive treble peak. The one I have now is way more controlled and easier to listen to. In fact, I quite like it now!!

I like the 220 but not so sure about mid shoutiness and the comparative softness in the treble with it. Just as well to check the Sony since I had the same treble problem. The real one is raised in treble, but not as screechy as the one I have now. (Although there are also other copies that probably sound different as well!!)

May 21, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #135 of 184
I like the 220 but not so sure about mid shoutiness and the comparative softness in the treble with it.

The treble is not soft; in fact, it sounds very accurate to me. The mids are a little recessed, like I mentioned. There simply need to be more of them. Hopefully that reviewer I linked to is right and it improves over time. The occasional mid-range shoutiness is due to a resonance that is common in many headphones, but especially prominent in the Focal Spirit Professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back