Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Oct 14, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #2,507 of 2,667
Mine slightly creaks with jaw movements so I mustn’t eat while listening!

What I love about them is just how comfortable they are to wear. (As well as the sound)
creaks and squecks can be fixed pretty easily. Sony uses rubber rings for the hinges and if you open the headphone and pull them out and clean them they will be silent again. I did this after my Z7 and 1A had some dust get into the hinges. After cleaning it they are silent again. I am doing this every 3 months or so because its just nicer to here nothing when moving.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,508 of 2,667
A1842154-185C-456B-900C-8D7E8D30C5DA.jpeg
Have any of you tried the special cable MUC-S12SM1? Not sure of the availability, but to my ears it is really an improvement sound wise. Especially bass becomes much tighter.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,511 of 2,667
I don’t think studios would use them for anything critical. Not closed enough and a too warm sound signature.
I respect your take on that, the Samson Z55 is more for flat reference. It lacks a bit of subs for me. In my studio I use the Sony MDR-Z7, for warm sound on harsher stuff and EMU Teak for a little more highs and lower subs. The Bose QC35 is my noise cancelling pair. Only good with NR on, similar to my MDR-1A. With NR, off they're too boxy. The MDR-1A is my portable passive. I prefer their extra lows, warm high mids, and more than enough treble. I like to mix / master on my monitors and custom sub.

The cans are for when I want a different perspective, or for remote stuff, with my laptop. I'd done work swapping between my two main phones. The MDR-1A would work also. Only the Bose super isolate. The MDR-1A is second, and isolates good enough usually. I haven't tried them in loud traffic or planes and I don't mix in those kinds of places anyway. The MDR-Z7 is third, very vented, but not true semi-open. The EMU Teak is even more open and just shy of what you hear through a semi-open phones.

I have a thin hard case the MDR-1A fold flat into with a pocket for cables and space for the stock ear pads which are soft but not quite deep enough. I put Audio Technica MSR7 ear pads on. They fit perfect, just wrap them around the ear cup vs. trying to align it with how the other attaches. Similar thickness, firmer but still comfortable, they increase space so your ears don't touch the inner pad edges or driver. A more spacious sound, mids and mid bass a bit clearer, sub bass is as good or better than stock.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,514 of 2,667
Got my second pair of the 1A's today, bought the black ones 2 years ago and got the silver ones today for $100 brand new.

You should try these pads. $9.00, genuine pads, sold and shipped in America. They really make these more comfortable and spacious sounding (better treble, no lost bass). Once you remove the others you just slip these so the inner edge wraps around the ear cup area. You can't slip it anywhere and it won't snap in place over the plastic things that the perforated stock pads do, but it works fine, and they seem to isolate even better. They take these to the next level of audiophile quality, while staying fun to listen to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earpads-Re...hash=item2389e676bf:m:mC2N1vHwVMXQAVn3qBx0XQQ

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #2,515 of 2,667
You should try these pads. $9.00, genuine pads, sold and shipped in America. They really make these more comfortable and spacious sounding (better treble, no lost bass). Once you remove the others you just slip these so the inner edge wraps around the ear cup area. You can't slip it anywhere and it won't snap in place over the plastic things that the perforated stock pads do, but it works fine, and they seem to isolate even better. They take these to the next level of audiophile quality, while staying fun to listen to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earpads-Re...hash=item2389e676bf:m:mC2N1vHwVMXQAVn3qBx0XQQ
Can you post a picture on how they look mounted to the MDR-1A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back