Sony Introduces Revised EX Monitor IEM Series (EX310, EX510, EX600, EX1000)
Sep 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
On September 3, Sony announced the upcoming release of their new "NUDE EX Monitor" series of IEM.  The models span from the affordable MDR-EX310SL (approx. $73 US) all the way to the ~$730 US (MSRP) range-topping MDR-EX1000.

The top-of-the-line MDR-EX1000 uses a newly designed liquid-crystal polymer film diaphragm measuring at 16mm.  The EX1000 comes with 7 pairs of hybrid tips as well as three pairs of Sony's new "isolation earpieces" which appear to be foam-infused hybrid silicone tips.  The earphone also utilizes replaceable cables; the package comes with a pair of cables, measuring at 60cm (with a straight plug) and 1.2m (with an L-plug).

The next model down the line, the MDR-EX600, seems to be positioned to slot just under the now-discontinued EX700.  Like its higher-end brother, the EX600 too utilizes a 16mm transducer, though its diaphragm materials are less exotic / hard to translate.  It also uses a cheaper aluminum and ABS plastic housing as opposed to the EX1000's magnesium alloy.  The EX600 does however come with the same accessories, including the two replaceable cables, 10 sets of tips, and a leather carrying case.  Both models will be released in Japan on October 23.  The EX600 will retail for ¥24675 (~$292 US), while the EX1000 tops out the range at a breathtaking ¥61950 (~$733).

Sony's new flagship IEM, the MDR-EX1000

Not content on stopping there, Sony also announced the replacements for the EX300 and EX500.  The new MDR-EX310SL and MDR-EX510SL use 13.5mm units, similar to the EX300/500 (and the EX85/90) before them.  These new entry-level "ear receivers" are said to have a more ergonomic design while retaining Sony's "vertical in-the-ear" driver placement.  The EX310 and EX510 come with 4 pairs of hybrids as well as three pairs of isolation earpieces, and each come with a carrying case.  The EX310 and EX510 will be available in Japan on November 10 for ¥6195 (~$73) and ¥12390 (~$147) respectively.

Sony's EX510 will be available in black, gold, and white.  The EX310 has five color variations.

ソニー、EX600などカナル型イヤフォンEXシリーズ3機種 -AV Watch
ソニー、61,950円のプロ向けモニターヘッドフォン「MDR-Z1000」 -AV Watch
原音を忠実に再生するモニターヘッドホンシリーズ 計9機種を発売 | プレスリリース | ソニー

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 9
$730?  This is a dynamic driver phone, right?

Sony's extracting the urine.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
$730?  This is a dynamic driver phone, right?

Sony's extracting the urine.

Dynamic driver earphones are awesome and are only getting more awesome. Welcome to the future, babe.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 9
MDR-EX1000 and MDR-EX600's exteriors look so similar in those links.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 9
This new line looks awesome...I just recently purchased the MDR-XB500 and am quite satisfied.  I've been looking for a bassy IEM as well and am considering the MDR-XB40EX, but after seeing the new EX series, I may have to hold up and shell out a few more dollars to upgrade to one of these.  Anybody tried any of these out yet?

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I can't speak for these new models but I did buy both the Klipsch Image S4 and MDR-EX300 a while back.

The high end models are supposed to be slower, bassier IEM's, but the low end models really are "Monitor" ear phones. I couldn't find anything wrong with the EX300; its soundquality was about the same as the S4 but everything about it was balanced and flat. The S4 was both more boomy and wider than the EX300.

However, you won't find much love for the S4 here due to its flawed soundsig: big, boomy bass that is more articulate than warm and punches well. Mids are well placed but highs are edgy and undetailed, so they get a little sibilant. Bass size is variable based on the recording so the S4 make's all music sound good, but in its own way; highs become a little rounded and are undetailed so most people don't like them with classical.

I haven't tried anything else out so I won't make any recomendations, but start with this giant compile here by joker lol:
 http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-162-iems-compared-kozee-infinity-x1-earsonics-sm2-added-04-16

I beleive Clieos and one other has also made a giant reveiw compile you might like, at the very least to get an idea of an IEM's basic soundsig/quality within your price range.
Quote:
This new line looks awesome...I just recently purchased the MDR-XB500 and am quite satisfied.  I've been looking for a bassy IEM as well and am considering the MDR-XB40EX, but after seeing the new EX series, I may have to hold up and shell out a few more dollars to upgrade to one of these.  Anybody tried any of these out yet?

May 8, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 9
May 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Thought I would post this First Impressions review - as there was a lack of reviews when I was looking to buy these.

Just bought these from play.com (£49.99 free del - great deal) and having used them for a day straight out the box - first impressions are that they are great! 

Just for reference, I was previously using the A-Jays Four until they met their doom between closing tube doors... serves them right for hanging out my bag!

Having used the EX71 / 90 / 500 in the past, I have always been impressed with the £ vs Sound quality of sony earphones.  This is still true for the EX510.
I love the design and overall quality of these earphones. Notable things about these vs the EX500s are that the cable feels thicker and the earphones feel much better quality than the previous model.

Sound stage - great. If this is how they sound WITHOUT burn in - wow! There is a very solid sound from these and what I mean is that all the Treble / Bass and Mids all sound very controlled and Taut - even at high volume unlike some sets that crackle under the pressure.  With them inserted correctly, the bass is great, not DRE heavy but great (the right amount in my opinion).  Mids really shine on these and the vocals sound clear. All in all, very happy so far.

I will update after some burn in time.

=)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back