SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #13,366 of 15,280
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #13,367 of 15,280
Z1R nightmare come to life. Just received and was trying out this Ali cable:
US $100.00 | LN006474 Blue 99% Pure Silver XLR 3.5mm 2.5mm 4.4mm Earphone Cable For Sony IER-M7 IER-M9 IER-Z1R
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPGhQEw

I was surprised how snug and secure the mmcx connectors worked, but the cable was advertised for the Z1R. Sound was terrific. Now the nightmare.

I cannot easily detach the snug mmcx, but after working at it they detached (and in the process the left connector fell off). Try to connect the stock cable, but it's not going in. What the eff!?

Upon closer inspection, the outer sheath of the mmcx pins on both sides dislodged inside both Z1R connectors. And I can't get them out. Holy f$&king crap!

I now have to DIY myself if possible and try to get these tiny things out of the Z1R mmcx sockets! Anyone had this problem and successfully solved it!? I'm pissed, should have stuck with stock cable, but alas, I'm in this hobby.

20230218_100634.jpg20230218_100714.jpg
Bad update...

I was able, after much effort, to get those sheaths out of the connector (pic)
20230219_142852.jpg
. However, I must have destroyed to connector in the process as there is no sound from the stock cable. My last ditch attempt at a fix will be to send them to an electronic repair in UK known to repair mmcx, but I somehow doubt this will work out.

Curious what you all think I should expect from the Ali seller of the cable. They want me to return the cable at their expense before issuing a refund and I have maintained a pretty angry stance under the circumstances. For instance, maybe they should stop selling that cable before someone else encounters this horrific situation.

Of course I think they should get me a new Z1R. But I don't think they will.

Only roll cables that have been vetted here!!! Don't make my same mistake!

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #13,368 of 15,280
Some regular MMCX will be working with Z1R but you will have a hard time to get them out. For the adaptor I bought from ebay, it is easy to install and unplug so there is no issue. For the problem above with @emdeevee, that is really unfortunately since the cable is labeled as working with Z1R. I usually will not buy from unknow brands, especially in that case from the link, there is no customer review.

I bought Fiio lc-rd pro by recommendation in this thread, and I know and trust Fiio and I also bought from Amazon. For Aliexpress, I only bought really inexpensive stuff occasionally, I would rather pay more to buy from other websites that are dedicated for Hifi.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #13,369 of 15,280
Bad update...

I was able, after much effort, to get those sheaths out of the connector (pic)20230219_142852.jpg. However, I must have destroyed to connector in the process as there is no sound from the stock cable. My last ditch attempt at a fix will be to send them to an electronic repair in UK known to repair mmcx, but I somehow doubt this will work out.

Curious what you all think I should expect from the Ali seller of the cable. They want me to return the cable at their expense before issuing a refund and I have maintained a pretty angry stance under the circumstances. For instance, maybe they should stop selling that cable before someone else encounters this horrific situation.

Of course I think they should get me a new Z1R. But I don't think they will.

Only roll cables that have been vetted here!!! Don't make my same mistake!
I'm sorry to see this happen. I don't know what part of the MMCX connector has been damaged but you could possibly try another cable or adapter that may have even the slightest longer or larger MMCX dimensions that may make contact?

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #13,370 of 15,280
Are you happy?

So we have another layer of friction :frowning2:
For easy to plug and unplug, yes. Will that solve the problem of fitting, no. I am probably making the same mistake as I did in other hobbies: bought too many entry level stuff, or half-way solutions, with the purpose to not spend too much, only to find that eventually you need to go all the way to the ultimate solution. The money I spend on those experimental cheap solutions turn out is more than I can spend on TOTL items.

Maybe in the very beginning, I should just go to Plussound, or other brand that provide high-quality upgrade cables that are dedicated for Z1R. I already bought several cables with generic mmcx, and a few adaptors, some bought by mistake.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #13,371 of 15,280
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #13,372 of 15,280
Maybe in the very beginning, I should just go to Plussound, or other brand that provide high-quality upgrade cables that are dedicated for Z1R. I already bought several cables with generic mmcx, and a few adaptors, some bought by mistake.
I think this is it - dedicated mmcx connections for the Z1R.

Or Sony should have used a standard mmcx :frowning2:.

Now, when the dunu Blanche arrives tomorrow, I do not dare to connect them. May I wait until I get my pw audio cable...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #13,373 of 15,280
I can’t find IER Z1R anywhere in UK and just find out that it’s discontinued by Sony.

Since they launcued new line of DAPs, should i expect new IEM line-up and wait a bit? My current setup just works fine.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #13,374 of 15,280
I can’t find IER Z1R anywhere in UK and just find out that it’s discontinued by Sony.

Since they launcued new line of DAPs, should i expect new IEM line-up and wait a bit? My current setup just works fine.
It’s not discontinued but neither it nor M7 or M9 seems to be available in Europe any longer. There are no rumors about anything new

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #13,375 of 15,280
Yes, the best I've tried - and now use with most IEMs (if they fit) - is Sony's own EP-EX11. They're very similar to the stock, and I find the S size fits me perfectly. More comfy than stock, with the same excellent sound...and they're available in black, which to me looks so much nicer than stock. Z1R benefits from a narrow bore tip, and a deep insert. Also, the Sony tips are among the cheapest on the market, which makes you wonder why the other brands are so expensive...

You can grab some here: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/EP-EX11L-BQ1-EP-EX11-Earpiece/dp/B0086PXQU2
You made me curious enough to make a quick test of the 4 smallest tips I have at hand:

Reference: included Silicone Tips SS
Fit: with moderately deep insertion the fit is quite comfortable, but the tips tend to slide out.
deep insertion is uncomfortable, moderately painful
Sound: reference, so I will only describe the differences of the other tips vs this one

Final Type E S
Fit is very good for me, they seem just the right size to sit with sufficient pressure in the ear canal to have a secure fit, and the more oval shape compared to the more conical silicone og prevents them from creeping. One ear canal feels a firm pressure, the other one suffers a little, but I have very elongated canals which are tricky to find good tips.
Sound: V-shaped. Bass has more impact, vocals are a bit warmer, similar to the og silicone tips. A touch more exciting and 3D than the OG tips. The v shape is not really pushing the vocals back though.
I also tried MS, they sit less deep and more comfortably but the less deep fit messes with the sound a little. I prefer the S

Spiral Dots XS (regual SD, not the ++ version):
Smaller than the Sony SS, sit securely and only cause minor discomfort, somwhere between the comfort between the 2 insertion depths with the SS silicone tips. Not sure if I am getting perfect seal.
Sound: bass has less impact, mids are more forward, but is a little dry and hollow compared to the OG silicone tips. Also treble seems a little muted. I prefer the OG
second try: Size S
good comfort and secure fit, the round shape makes them sit securely. Better seal.
Bass is back, but this time the vocals feel a bit recessed, treble is more present.
Maybe best comfort but alas not best sound…

Sony EP-EX11 S:
longer than the SS tips, very soft, more cylindrical. Comfort is good, but I kind if feel like pushing them further in because they stick out further. That causes discomfort again. Fit is more secure, don‘t seem to creep.
Interestingly the bass is emphasized but slightly less textured and vocals are a touch drier and flatter, reminds me of the Spiral Dots.
The og silicone tips feel a little more 3D.

Beyerdynamic Xelento tip S:
Fit and comfort is really good for me. They sit more in the first section of the ear canal and feel quite natural yet still secure. Maybe the best of the lot in terms of comfort.
Sound: Vocals are surprisingly a little more recessed than with the og silicones. Bass seems a bit muddier and less defined. Might be due to the soft “coupling“ of the heavy IEM shell to the ear/head.

Conclusion for me:
The Final type E size S seem to be the winner for me. They allow deep fit with acceptable comfort and sound clean, clear, energetic.

EDIT: after this trial I took the Spiral Dots S, Final E S and MS with me and tried to listen with them.
I kept returning to the original silicone SS tip, it is the only tip which is really comfortable for my narrow ear canals.

4BDD2231-1F2F-4475-BE8C-E318B596BF9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #13,376 of 15,280
Lots to love about these things. Right now, I'm crazy blown away with the sound staging. Unreal.

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #13,377 of 15,280
Lots to love about these things. Right now, I'm crazy blown away with the sound staging. Unreal.
How do you compare Z1R with M6 ultra vs Fiio M17?

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #13,378 of 15,280
I much prefer the warmer signature of the M6 Ultra to the M17 with IEMs.

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #13,379 of 15,280
gLer, when you get a chance, please let me know how the new cable turns out. I may want to use the same company to fix my cable. Thank you.
Hi, had a session last night. It really takes Z1R to a different level. It does make it 'clearer' too, so if you prefer the warmer, slightly less resolving sound of the stock cable, keep that in mind. PM @doctorjuggles for info on this and other similar (and less expensive) cables he makes.

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #13,380 of 15,280
I think this is it - dedicated mmcx connections for the Z1R.

Or Sony should have used a standard mmcx :frowning2:.

Now, when the dunu Blanche arrives tomorrow, I do not dare to connect them. May I wait until I get my pw audio cable...

Can understand why Sony went with the recessed connector and two cables are included in the box. Many (albeit smaller) brands charging thousands more only include one cable.

The answer was posted earlier in the thread: stay with stock, Plussound IER-Z1R connectors (link) or E4UA converters (link). Never read of anyone having an issue and of course Plussound and E4UA make custom connectors for many other brands and not only Sony

The aliexpress converters might be a lot 'cheaper', but see above photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back