SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #13,201 of 15,280
Add me to the IER-Z1R club.
iBasso DX320 edition X with Amp14. Treble has a bit of sizzle, but not sibilant. I love the huge soundstage.
tempImagehZZlOp.jpg

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #13,202 of 15,280
iBasso DX320 edition X with Amp14. Treble has a bit of sizzle, but not sibilant. I love the huge soundstage.
tempImagehZZlOp.jpg
Welcome to the club! +1 for same setup, cheers!

Feb 9, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #13,203 of 15,280
Visiting tokyo and visited e-earphone. What a treat to go, played with daps with the z1r, managed to try the Susvaras. Tried all the TOTL IEMs from diff companies.

DAPs I enjoyed the z1r the most is the Cayin N8ii , and the Fiio m17.

IEMs that I enjoyed other than the Z1R with my WM1A is the Anole VX-S. I kept going back to the Anole after trying other TOTL iems. Honor mentions to the Legend X Japanese Gold Edition for the godly bass, but I still find IER-Z1R one of the most natural IEM ive heard.

Can you tell more about your session of your Z1R with Fiio M17? why do you like them as a pair?
I have Fiio M11 plus ESS that have similar signature with M17 (with less power of course, in trade with portability and price) and I have plan to (upgrade?) or switch to ZX707 but I still on the fence because of capped issue thing, and not sure if the ZX707 will be an upgrade to my current M11 plus ESS since I can't demo the ZX707. Thanks in advance

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #13,205 of 15,280
Screenshot_20230209-203648_Gmail.jpgJust got this message today from ADV. In search if getting some custom tips. Has anyone experienced something like this? Should I give it a shot and go ahead and order it? Is there another better alternative or company you guys recommend?
I think those are the guys, but I'm sure there are others. They don't want you to be unhappy.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #13,206 of 15,280
Can you tell more about your session of your Z1R with Fiio M17? why do you like them as a pair?
I have Fiio M11 plus ESS that have similar signature with M17 (with less power of course, in trade with portability and price) and I have plan to (upgrade?) or switch to ZX707 but I still on the fence because of capped issue thing, and not sure if the ZX707 will be an upgrade to my current M11 plus ESS since I can't demo the ZX707. Thanks in advance
The zx707 is a nice piece of kit, much snappier than the 507. They have it on demo here in pretty much every electronic store, paired with the z7m2. Its quite nice.

The M17 is just amazing with electronic music, doesn't leave me wanting. The tubes on the n8ii gives it a tinge of warmth that makes music feel more organic, where m17 gives it to you straight forward presentation. Drives the z1r real well. Both are very good.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #13,207 of 15,280
tempImagehZZlOp.jpg
Congrats and welcome to the club!
It looks like you are already on a small tip size, but maybe try even smaller for deeper fit. The included silicone hybrid tips allowed me to go even smaller with good seal than the foam tips.
How does it sound with the Mojo 2 and the Yggi?

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #13,208 of 15,280
Got myself a cheapie leather case I really like - no zipper, stays closed - room for cable and IEMs in their own mesh bag - no name brand, but I get to pocket the $70 I saved. Snaps closed - no sharp edges... And the Sony case stays in its box with the single ended cable I won't use. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4155.JPG
    IMG_4155.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4154.JPG
    IMG_4154.JPG
  • IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
  • IMG_4153.JPG
    IMG_4153.JPG
Feb 9, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #13,209 of 15,280
Just got this message today from ADV. In search if getting some custom tips. Has anyone experienced something like this? Should I give it a shot and go ahead and order it? Is there another better alternative or company you guys recommend?
I got some conflicting responses from several headfiers who used ADV for Z1R. Some said it is not worth it since the bass is significantly reduced and the Z1R sticking out way more after custom tip, some said it is almost like CIEM and totally worth it. But for $150, why give it a shot?

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #13,210 of 15,280
I got some conflicting responses from several headfiers who used ADV for Z1R. Some said it is not worth it since the bass is significantly reduced and the Z1R sticking out way more after custom tip, some said it is almost like CIEM and totally worth it. But for $150, why give it a shot?
Because you can use them with other iems as well.

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #13,211 of 15,280
Screenshot_20230209-203648_Gmail.jpgJust got this message today from ADV. In search if getting some custom tips. Has anyone experienced something like this? Should I give it a shot and go ahead and order it? Is there another better alternative or company you guys recommend?
There are several people in this thread who have custom tips and they all seem to be happy with them but yes they do stick out a fair bit

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #13,212 of 15,280
Congrats and welcome to the club!
It looks like you are already on a small tip size, but maybe try even smaller for deeper fit. The included silicone hybrid tips allowed me to go even smaller with good seal than the foam tips.
How does it sound with the Mojo 2 and the Yggi?
Thanks!

I haven’t experimented with tips yet. I’m still in the break in period. It takes me a bit to get over the new toy syndrome/psychoacoustic phase. So far the bass and soundstage are incredible. The treble is a bit sparkling, but not fatiguing or sibilant. Unlike the KSE1200 which is too much sometimes.

Other than the iBasso, I’ve only used it with the Mojo 2. That’s a great pairing. The soundstage is not gigantic like the Ibasso, but in my mind more correct. Tonality is spot on. Bass quantity slightly less than Ibasso, but better defined.

I’ll try out the Yggy, but it’s hooked to the Folkvangr and Jot 2. I’m concerned with impedance issues. But I doesn’t hurt to experiment.

Feb 10, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #13,213 of 15,280
There are several people in this thread who have custom tips and they all seem to be happy with them but yes they do stick out a fair bit
Sticking out is an appearance issue, only, as they're very secure. I can see how one might be self conscious if walking about, say.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #13,214 of 15,280
Sticking out is an appearance issue, only, as they're very secure. I can see how one might be self conscious if walking about, say.
Could also affect how the cable runs behind the ear and this could activate different pressure points and if moving about the changed center of gravity could potentially make the buds work loose

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #13,215 of 15,280
Could also affect how the cable runs behind the ear and this could activate different pressure points and if moving about the changed center of gravity could potentially make the buds work loose
Yes, I have my doubts how well the ADV sleeves would work with the supplied and fairly immovable Sony cables. My Sony cables are still in the box, as I use an extremely light 2-wire cable. Tucking that or any other soft/flexible cable behind the ear is not a problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back