SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 10, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #13,216 of 15,280
Yes, I have my doubts how well the ADV sleeves would work with the supplied and fairly immovable Sony cables. My Sony cables are still in the box, as I use an extremely light 2-wire cable. Tucking that or any other soft/flexible cable behind the ear is not a problem.
Might be if the buds end up too far from the ear though. I've been considering custom tips myself as I love the fit of my JH13 but have not yet made the jump

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #13,217 of 15,280
Yes, I have my doubts how well the ADV sleeves would work with the supplied and fairly immovable Sony cables. My Sony cables are still in the box, as I use an extremely light 2-wire cable. Tucking that or any other soft/flexible cable behind the ear is not a problem.

Might be if the buds end up too far from the ear though. I've been considering custom tips myself as I love the fit of my JH13 but have not yet made the jump
They don't stick out that far! :laughing: Just stay away from stiff cables if you want to tuck behind the ear. No memory wire or plastic sheathing, I'd say.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #13,218 of 15,280
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #13,219 of 15,280
Feb 10, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #13,221 of 15,280

No, they are custom made for Z1R
Correct.
Ohhhh...well if they fit the Z1R nozzle, they should fit many others.
The ADV tips/sleeves really are just for the Z1R, if that's what the sleeves are ordered for. They cover the nozzle and part the body. Rolling the dice whether another IEM might fit well enough where the sleeve is secure. (The Z1Rs are rather unique, no?) Where one sleeve would fit more than one IEM, that I know of, would be 64 Audio's IEMs that share the same nozzle and body.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_221433254.jpg
    PXL_20230121_221433254.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #13,222 of 15,280
Ohhhh...well if they fit the Z1R nozzle, they should fit many others.
I doubt it since the don’t just sit on the nozzle but moulds around a fair part of the housing as well, presumably to get stability

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #13,223 of 15,280
I have custom tips and while the Z1R sound good. The sticking out didn't make it for me.

I still
If I am sure it sounds good, I don't care about anything else, I will go ahead and order one.

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #13,224 of 15,280
If I am sure it sounds good, I don't care about anything else, I will go ahead and order one.
Will be interested to hear how it works out. I have resigned myself to short foam tips which keep it secure and isolated for me. Tried all the silicone and they fall out; going to increase the size up and try it again.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #13,226 of 15,280
Do these ADV custom tips for the IER-Z1R provide better sound quality than IER-Z1R’s stock hybrid silicone rubber tips?
No one can advise or even generalize how you will perceive the sound of custom tips (or custom in ear monitors) given the radical differences in ear canal shapes. ADV custom tips cause the monitor to extend far outside of the Concha and for some users, it may be unsightly— and even more so with the large IER-Z1R. They’re not a very good solution.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #13,227 of 15,280
Do these ADV custom tips for the IER-Z1R provide better sound quality than IER-Z1R’s stock hybrid silicone rubber tips?
I would think so, although I never tried Sony's included tips. To me, universal tips are poor in comfort and bass, so I never gave Sony's tips a chance. Despite the the Z1R's sticking out a ways with ADV sleeves, you've got a complete ear seal, so good bass, good sound, and great comfort. I thought the Azla SednaEarfit XELASTIC tips were best of the universal tips I tried with my 64 Audio u12t when I had those, but the ADV sleeves on the u12t thoroughly stomped the Azla's -- way better bass and presence. So I went straight to ADV sleeves when I got the Z1Rs. IMHO, trying different universal tips seems to me like fiddling around the edges, although many do seem to eventually find a solution that works for them. Yes, the ADV/Z1R combo may attract attention, but it sings (for me).

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #13,228 of 15,280
I do not know if the cost and balance of custom tips are worth it in the end, it may for some ? I'd like to share my experience regarding the fit.
Firstly, I always had good fit with sony iems so I thought the ier-z1r would be a no brainer. I was wrong.

Right after purchase, insertion was quite painful. It felt like inserting cutlery in and out. I thought every day that I would have to sell them but I was subjugated by the sound.

During those 6 months, I went through a learning process thinking of changing tips, rotation and depth insertion.
Changing position and ear tips only relieves the pain on a hot spot before an other spot of the skin starts "working". It's a necessary learning process but often led to drawing early false conclusion ; concluding that the new tips sizes "finally don't fit", until the pain was gone again. The skin being less sore allows to insert deeper and rotate some more until it hurts again. Alternating deep insertion and only closing to get a seal. I'm certain some concluded after weeks that the ier-z1r would actually never fit, I thought the same several times.
Changing tips did not actually matter that much as long as all the spots of skin are not yet used to the animal. Actually, it felt like the least comfortable it was, the faster the ears were getting used to them. Also, my right ear was "learning" the ier-z1r faster than the left one.

I used Small-size for a long time but I'm surprised to now settle with the sony silicon Large tips which I find sound good. I felt like the triple comfort kept my ears in their comfort zone, not allowing the skin to adapt to the pressure points of the iems.

The situation improved week by week for... six months using the ier-z1r every day. After the 6month I am now able to wear it without discomfort for unlimited time. The skin got tougher and adapted, whether for tip pressure, cable plug or cable. The production of ear wax was important during the adjusting time, but now they are not producing any! The iems remain perfectly clean. I was tempted to buy other tips but since the discomfort kept evolving, I waited and rightly so. Try to avoid buying every tip brand and sizes if your skin is still too soft.

Unlike most 20€ iems, yes they are heavier and require some seconds to be properly positioned and inserted. I thought that these things were not designed for the ears, rather for sound since it was that painful. But my judgement changed. So there is still hope even if they fit terribly like it was the case for me.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #13,229 of 15,280
I do not know if the cost and balance of custom tips are worth it in the end, it may for some ? I'd like to share my experience regarding the fit.
Firstly, I always had good fit with sony iems so I thought the ier-z1r would be a no brainer. I was wrong.

Right after purchase, insertion was quite painful. It felt like inserting cutlery in and out. I thought every day that I would have to sell them but I was subjugated by the sound.

During those 6 months, I went through a learning process thinking of changing tips, rotation and depth insertion.
Changing position and ear tips only relieves the pain on a hot spot before an other spot of the skin starts "working". It's a necessary learning process but often led to drawing early false conclusion ; concluding that the new tips sizes "finally don't fit", until the pain was gone again. The skin being less sore allows to insert deeper and rotate some more until it hurts again. Alternating deep insertion and only closing to get a seal. I'm certain some concluded after weeks that the ier-z1r would actually never fit, I thought the same several times.
Changing tips did not actually matter that much as long as all the spots of skin are not yet used to the animal. Actually, it felt like the least comfortable it was, the faster the ears were getting used to them. Also, my right ear was "learning" the ier-z1r faster than the left one.

I used Small-size for a long time but I'm surprised to now settle with the sony silicon Large tips which I find sound good. I felt like the triple comfort kept my ears in their comfort zone, not allowing the skin to adapt to the pressure points of the iems.

The situation improved week by week for... six months using the ier-z1r every day. After the 6month I am now able to wear it without discomfort for unlimited time. The skin got tougher and adapted, whether for tip pressure, cable plug or cable. The production of ear wax was important during the adjusting time, but now they are not producing any! The iems remain perfectly clean. I was tempted to buy other tips but since the discomfort kept evolving, I waited and rightly so. Try to avoid buying every tip brand and sizes if your skin is still too soft.

Unlike most 20€ iems, yes they are heavier and require some seconds to be properly positioned and inserted. I thought that these things were not designed for the ears, rather for sound since it was that painful. But my judgement changed. So there is still hope even if they fit terribly like it was the case for me.
Wow, you've answered the question I had of whether ears could ever toughen up. I gave up early in that quest, going the custom route, but applaud your determination. :clap:
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #13,230 of 15,280
I really feel for all you guys having issues with fit. For me fit was like a glove, out the box. Just had to use a small enough tip so the shell sat snug in my ear as designed. For years I avoided Z1R for all the fit horror stories, and now I'm yet to find an IEM at any price that comes close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back