SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #13,231 of 15,280
Okay, I have about 10 hours on the ZR1. The tonal signature has gone from deep bass with a bit of treble "sizzle" to more quantity deep bass and more balanced treble. The combination with the Amp14 is just too much bass now. The Mojo 2 is about perfect (no EQ). The Woo WA8 is just overwhelming bass quantity and not terribly accurate. I switched to the spin fit for now. So far I'm pretty happy with comfort. I had no real comfort issues from the beginning.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #13,232 of 15,280
For those that have had theirs for a while: how's the scratch resistance of the body of the IEMs?

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #13,234 of 15,280
For those that have had theirs for a while: how's the scratch resistance of the body of the IEMs?
There are for sure a number of micro scratches all over the body but you have to look closely to see them and I’ve had mine since first release

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #13,235 of 15,280
Feb 11, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #13,236 of 15,280
(**** UPS)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #13,237 of 15,280
They are prone to light scratches around the shell, but the shell body made by magnesium zirconium alloy is built like a tank. They are strong and tough and pretty much I'm sure there will be no dent ik case you drop them, but the finishing really prone to light scratches.

*edited : corrected magnesium to zirconium, thanks for gently reminder @psikey

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #13,238 of 15,280
They are prone to light scratches around the shell, but the shell body made by magnesium alloy is built like a tank. They are strong and tough and pretty much I'm sure there will be no dent ik case you drop them, but the finishing really prone to light scratches.

My M9's are Magnesium Alloy, the Z1R is Zirconium Alloy unless I'm mistaken (maybe zirconium and magnesium together ?)

Think Z1R is nearly double weight of M9.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #13,239 of 15,280
My custom tips arefrom The Custom Art. And they only fit the nozzles of sony ISMs includinf IER-M7 and IER-Z1R as well all of XBA range such as Z5

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #13,240 of 15,280
My custom tips arefrom The Custom Art. And they only fit the nozzles of sony ISMs includinf IER-M7 and IER-Z1R as well all of XBA range such as Z5
How's sound compared to regular tips?

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #13,241 of 15,280
How's sound compared to regular tips?
Bass is better textured and highs become slightly sizzly and stagei noteslight change but i am nit sure.

As i said as my Z1R experiebce is fairly good with stock hybrid tips for a quasi CIEM fit i ended swapping the custom tips to the M7 and now they will be used withmy XBA-Z5

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #13,242 of 15,280
Quick report about removing the transparent tubes from the Z1R cables.

Reason to do it:
The material became quite sticky and it seemed to be decomposing. I had previously cleaned it with alcohol, so maybe that has contributed to it, or it might have been sunlight, body oils, who know. The point is it started to be very annoying as it would stick to my skin.

How to do it:
This part is simple. Just take a pair of fine scissors and carefully cut around the cable.

Note #1:
One thing to note is that jack end of the tube connects to a plastic bit that seems to have been molded onto the cable. It doesn't slide and is so tight on the jacket of the cable that I didn't feel like risking puncturing the jacket so I just left it in place. It might even be helpful to weigh down the cable around your ear.

Note #2:
A second thing to note is that the tube degradation appears to have been occurring on the inside as well. Either that or Sony decided to lube up the contact area between the cable jacket and the rubber tube. Regardless, the point is that I removed the tube to get rid of the stickiness and underneath I found more stickiness. The good thin is that this time, it cleaned up very well with alcohol. The plastic/rubber jacket does have some natural adhesive properties, so the now bare cable still sticks a tiny bit to my ears after a while.

Reasons not to do it:
Are there any downsides to removing the tubes? Yes. The tubes mounted flush to the MMCX connector housing, while the cable itself is a bit loose. Once the tube is gone, or even just punctured, water or sweat can now technically drip along the cable and into the connector housing. There might be a second layer of isolation inside the connector so this might be a non-issue, but my bet would be on them being at least somewhat exposed.

Final word:
After using this "mod" (lol) for a number of days now and during longer listening sessions, I am very happy with the change. Comfort is quite a bit better for me now and I believe that the soundstage has also increased - just kidding. So, if you're having trouble with the tubes rubbing on your ears, I think this is something worth a try. But I wouldn't do it on brand new cables, as I've compared my unused SE cable to my well used Bal cable, and the tubes on the unused cable felt a lot better. So wait until they start degrading to pick up the scissors.

Pics:
I finally got around to doing this myself (i.e., it took this long to get the courage to do it). The sticky-cable problem for me wasn’t that bad and could be cleaned off, until recently, after almost 3 years.

Thanks to your post, and remembering it, I gave it a try. Looks just like yours in the pics. Very easy to do since there is a lot of room between the sleeve and the cable. Hopefully gives me another 3 years before I have to use my spare (identical & new) OEM balanced cable.

Cheers

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #13,243 of 15,280
I usually used Z1R with DAPs, but today I am listening at my home with desktop setup, I am Wowed again, Z1R indeed scales with the source. I almost felt that it can compete with my Atrium or HE6SE in some sense.

After I bought Z1R, I have demoed most of the TOTL IEMs, and only recently I also demoed for a week the Fir Audio frontier series, including XE6, KR5, and NE4.

IMHO, Z1R is still absolute the TOTL IEM, the preference within TOTL IEMs is purely personal, all the rankings are only for the creator's personal preference.

What Z1R stands together, are majority of the modern IEMs, including XE6, Odyssey, EE EVO, UM Mest Mk2, etc. I would say choosing one of them will not make day and night difference. I know someone will tell me there is a huge difference among those IEMs, but for me, they are warm, bass heavy or with very good bass IEM with TOTL technical performance.

Then there are two other slightly different types of IEMs: reference/treble focused, and colorful Mids focused. The reference/treble focus is like U12t, to slightly less reference such as Ragnar, or even Trailli and Jewel. They are extremely detailed and TOTL in resolution, but the reference tuning, or treble is not my type of IEMs, I tried very hard to demo and understand why people like them, I guess my only conclusion is they need longer time to be appreciated.

The colorful Mids are UM Mason FS, Multiverse Mentor, and probably some VE IEMs (I don't have a good memory of VE IEMs that I demoed, just from others' review. My vague memory was VE IEMs' Mids is not similar, or at the same level of my liking in Mids). I really like those IEMs, but unfortunately, I can't justify pay $4k+ to buy them.

Therefore, for me, I am more and more convinced that there is very few IEMs that I really need to have beyond Z1R.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #13,244 of 15,280
My M9's are Magnesium Alloy, the Z1R is Zirconium Alloy unless I'm mistaken (maybe zirconium and magnesium together ?)

Think Z1R is nearly double weight of M9.
You are correct, my mistake, the Z1R is indeed made by zirconium alloy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back