SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #13,051 of 15,264
Thx for the inputs

I was initially thinking to get the Wm1Am2
But i tested on sony stores before, the OS is a bit laggy, i think the cpu in the Wm1Am2 is a bit to slow to run android OS.
Thats the reason why im leaning towards the zx707, the specs says it has almost the same sound as a Wm1Am2 but with faster cpu that make the user interface smoother and snappier.

Oh the differences i found on the net is that
Wm1A and Wm1Am2 balance output is 250mw @ 32ohm
Where the ZX707 is
230mw @32ohm

I dont know will it be enough ?
As sometimes i crank my Wm1A to 100-110 on high gain when im listening to DSD

As for the dongle
I just want alternatives when i want to listen off my ipad or macbook with the z1r
So far i’ve read lots of good reviewss about queststyle m15 and L&P w2
But i have no idea about the synergy with the z1r

My prefferrences are
Tight and powerfull bass
Warmer mids
Less harsh highs

Thank you
how do specs tell you about sound?
if you tested and had the opportunity to test, why did you not bring the Z1R along to test?
how fast do you need a music player to be?

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #13,052 of 15,264
if you tested and had the opportunity to test, why did you not bring the Z1R along to test?
Once I de-bloated my Sony it’s perfectly fine to find and search for songs, playlists etc., then I put it down and listen 🤷‍♂️.

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #13,053 of 15,264
But i tested on sony stores before, the OS is a bit laggy, i think the cpu in the Wm1Am2 is a bit to slow to run android OS.
Thats the reason why im leaning towards the zx707, the specs says it has almost the same sound as a Wm1Am2 but with faster cpu that make the user interface smoother and snappier.
Your observation is correct. Sony used a better CPU for the ZX707. Apparently, the decision to keep with a slower CPU for the WM1 series is to keep electrical and digital interference to a minimum. Whether or not you can hear the difference is up to you.

That aside, S-Master HX's implementation on the WM1AM2 is significantly better than the 707 with much more condensers, components and what not so the spec sheet isn't everything. To be frank, do you really need that fast a CPU if your goal is to use Apple Music?

After all, on Android, you can change animation speeds and turn them off altogether to make it feel faster and save some battery too.

Where the ZX707 is
230mw @32ohm

I remember the max being 120 on the WM1AM2/ZM2, unsure if it is the same for the 707. Perhaps you might need to push up to 120 on the 707? I do hope that the Sony store where you live has a demo unit real soon for you to try.

Tight and powerfull bass
Warmer mids
Less harsh highs
For your described sound, you could look at other brands that use R2R/ROHM/AKM dacs like the iBasso DX320, Hiby RS8/RS6, Shanling M9 (if its still available) etc. If you must have a Sony, you could consider a used NW-WM1Z. Of course, if money is not an issue, purchase a WM1ZM2 and don't look back.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #13,054 of 15,264
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #13,055 of 15,264
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #13,056 of 15,264
Thx for the inputs

Oh the differences i found on the net is that
Where the ZX707 is
230mw @32ohm

As for the dongle
I just want alternatives when i want to listen off my ipad or macbook with the z1r
So far i’ve read lots of good reviewss about queststyle m15 and L&P w2
But i have no idea about the synergy with the z1r

My prefferrences are
Tight and powerfull bass
Warmer mids
Less harsh highs

Thank you
The Walkman play DSD files, per default, at 25% lower volume (-5db).

You can disable this behaviour if you want in the settings.

I can't remember that i've even been above 100 at Low-Gain. Maybe 105/120 for very quiet songs but thats already too loud and painfull with most songs.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #13,057 of 15,264
Jan 23, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #13,058 of 15,264
No specs wont tell us the sound
What im saying is that based on the specs the zx707 is faster running the os compared the Wm1Am2
I’ll be quite irritated if my dap is sluggish to run the os

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #13,059 of 15,264
Your observation is correct. Sony used a better CPU for the ZX707. Apparently, the decision to keep with a slower CPU for the WM1 series is to keep electrical and digital interference to a minimum. Whether or not you can hear the difference is up to you.

That aside, S-Master HX's implementation on the WM1AM2 is significantly better than the 707 with much more condensers, components and what not so the spec sheet isn't everything. To be frank, do you really need that fast a CPU if your goal is to use Apple Music?

After all, on Android, you can change animation speeds and turn them off altogether to make it feel faster and save some battery too.

I remember the max being 120 on the WM1AM2/ZM2, unsure if it is the same for the 707. Perhaps you might need to push up to 120 on the 707? I do hope that the Sony store where you live has a demo unit real soon for you to try.

For your described sound, you could look at other brands that use R2R/ROHM/AKM dacs like the iBasso DX320, Hiby RS8/RS6, Shanling M9 (if its still available) etc. If you must have a Sony, you could consider a used NW-WM1Z. Of course, if money is not an issue, purchase a WM1ZM2 and don't look back.
Problem is there’s no sony demo in my country
I can only get it online.
Is the s master hx really difference between them two ?

What im saying is that I’ve been satisfied with my older Wm1A
If the zx707 can produces more or less same sound quality as the Wm1A then im sold.

About the Wm1Am2 I’m still thinking hard as i read few members complained about the sluggishness of the os when running simple apps like apple music or tidal
Thats why i thought the better cpu in the zx707 might run better.
As for the sound, im sure the Wm1Am2 will be better than the zx707 , but as long as the zx707 can be as good as the older Wm1A then I’m happy.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #13,060 of 15,264
The Walkman play DSD files, per default, at 25% lower volume (-5db).

You can disable this behaviour if you want in the settings.

I can't remember that i've even been above 100 at Low-Gain. Maybe 105/120 for very quiet songs but thats already too loud and painfull with most songs.
I swear some dsd sounded so quiet, normally for flac files I listened at 70-80
Dsd i can go to 110 or even max vol
All in high gain

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #13,061 of 15,264
All in high gain
With the IER-Z1R I'm normally at 70 on low gain on the 1Z for most music and that is plenty loud enough for me

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #13,062 of 15,264
The link I shared is recessed male mmcx to female mmcx adaptor, not the mmcx pin.
good thing about this adaptor is, it allows us to change cables without worrying about mmcx pin getting broken and struck inside Z1R.
Ah I see. Apologies. I only glanced through without much thought.
Is the s master hx really difference between them two ?
Even though I have not heard it, I am certain its different. The PCB layout is already so different for the both of them. Besides, Sony's sound is all about their tuning. The implementation might be the same, like in the 1ZM2 and 1AM2, but I am sure many members here and in the other thread would agree they are different.

As for the question regarding a slower CPU, I personally do not see it as an issue. Its a small compromise for a much longer battery life and a tiny bit stronger output. This would come down to the compromises you are willing to make. Of course, there also exist other brands.
All in high gain
Please take care of your hearing. I listen to flac on my 1Z at 91 and that to me is quite loud already.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #13,063 of 15,264
With the IER-Z1R I'm normally at 70 on low gain on the 1Z for most music and that is plenty loud enough for me
Maybe i damage my hearing 🫣

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #13,065 of 15,264
Well, I know some people sold and rebuy Z1R 2-3 times already :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back