SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 20, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #13,021 of 15,280
Since we're talking cables, I've never looked past the stock cable for Z1R. Until now. Managed to find my all-time favourite cable, Cardas Clear (a.k.a. PWA The 1950s 'clone' by @doctorjuggles). If anyone is on the fence about the difference a cable can make, they really need to hear this combination. The stage expansion, instant ink black background and added resolution is summit-fi...and Z1R was already that before. Mindblowing.

Where did you get that mmcx connector from? Thanks.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #13,022 of 15,280
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #13,024 of 15,280
Since we're talking cables, I've never looked past the stock cable for Z1R. Until now. Managed to find my all-time favourite cable, Cardas Clear (a.k.a. PWA The 1950s 'clone' by @doctorjuggles). If anyone is on the fence about the difference a cable can make, they really need to hear this combination. The stage expansion, instant ink black background and added resolution is summit-fi...and Z1R was already that before. Mindblowing.

PSX_20230120_143015.jpg
May I ask how much is this cable is for?

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #13,026 of 15,280
Following the discussion about the sticky ear hooks I paid more attention to my cable and realized that is was getting pretty sticky again and a closer look showed liquid inside the ear hook tubes.
I put it in a ziplock bag with plenty of silica gel and will check if that fixes the issue. Will report the findings.

On the subject of removing the cables I actually found that if I pay very close attention to pull exactly along the axis of the connector, the cable releases without much problem. It’s not easy to get it right, especially with the IEMs being difficult to hold securely, but I never had to pull too hard. If it doesn’t move, let go and try again. Worked for me every time on IER-M9 and IER-Z1R

BDA02907-9AC4-4A01-BD7C-7DEB240EBD5D.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #13,027 of 15,280
Following the discussion about the sticky ear hooks I paid more attention to my cable and realized that is was getting pretty sticky again and a closer look showed liquid inside the ear hook tubes.
I put it in a ziplock bag with plenty of silica gel and will check if that fixes the issue. Will report the findings.

On the subject of removing the cables I actually found that if I pay very close attention to pull exactly along the axis of the connector, the cable releases without much problem. It’s not easy to get it right, especially with the IEMs being difficult to hold securely, but I never had to pull too hard. If it doesn’t move, let go and try again. Worked for me every time on IER-M9 and IER-Z1R

image.jpg
The stock cable comes out easily enough, not so with most after market cables

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #13,028 of 15,280
Just wanted to drop in to comment that I've had these beauties for around two years now and there's not a day that goes by when I use them where I can't stop and marvel at how amazing, capable and musical these TOTL IEM's are. I don't use them with the original cable however, the original immediately had a connector snap which luckily didn't get stuck in the IEM itself and they also pushed them out of my ears. I use them with the braided IEM 4.4 Kimber Cable. But once you're satisfied with the cable and the tips for the right fit, these are absolutely Top Notch!!

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #13,029 of 15,280

image.jpg
i treated with AT-205 RE-SEAL, and fixed and prolong fragile hook (product was amazing! and sale at amazon), hope it's help

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #13,030 of 15,280
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #13,031 of 15,280
https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/shop/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips

Anyone ever tried this for their Sony’s?

I am so tempted, but I don’t want to be one of the ones who has to return them due to bad fit. So looking at some potential options
Yes, they work great with the Z1Rs and completely eliminate fit issues some experience since the IEMs no longer directly contact the ear. I should have a pic somewhere.... The only fit issue you could experience would be if you sent poor ear impressions to ADV. My audiologist took care making my impressions, following ADV instructions, and these tips far exceed any universal tip for comfort, IMO.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #13,032 of 15,280
Yes, they work great with the Z1Rs and completely eliminate fit issues some experience since the IEMs no longer directly contact the ear. I should have a pic somewhere.... The only fit issue you could experience would be if you sent poor ear impressions to ADV. My audiologist took care making my impressions, following ADV instructions, and these tips far exceed any universal tip for comfort, IMO.
Perfect! I have wanted these since forever, but always been nervous about getting them as while I could swallow the 15% restocking fee, I’ll always feel it’s the one that got away 😂

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #13,033 of 15,280
Perfect! I have wanted these since forever, but always been nervous about getting them as while I could swallow the 15% restocking fee, I’ll always feel it’s the one that got away 😂
And here's a pic. Re restocking, if fit were an issue I imagine they'd work with you, first, just as CIEM makers do to ensure you get a good fit. I felt ADV was easy to work with, and they nailed my tips the first time.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_221433254.jpg
    PXL_20230121_221433254.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #13,034 of 15,280
And here's a pic. Re restocking, if fit were an issue I imagine they'd work with you, first, just as CIEM makers do to ensure you get a good fit. I felt ADV was easy to work with, and they nailed my tips the first time.
These fit well on the Z1R and don’t distort the sound? How far out does it push the IEM - asking if you can still use the original cable or you’re looking at also replace that as a result of going “custom”?

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #13,035 of 15,280
Been listening thru the new Lavricables and just loving the sound. The wire itself is a little wiry for my taste, but sound and fit are perfect. I switched back to foam tips which seem to just be the most secure fit and isolation I can achieve with this IEM. The bass thump from the DD is so nice and it makes me understand why people have their issues with BA bass (which from my BA sets still sounds amazing). I love that a big, old Japanese company like Sony puts out an IEM, 3 years ago (?), that competes with literally everything on today's market and they haven't felt the need to update it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back