SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 23, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #13,066 of 15,260
Well, I know some people sold and rebuy Z1R 2-3 times already :).
Yes I know that’s why still thinking about it lol 😂
I love ❤️ it but the fits is little problematic
I don’t really use it maybe 2 hours every month
I have this AKG N5005 $199 is my go to fit my ears almost better than my AirPod Pro 2
But it’s really hard to make that decision since I already returned my M9 because of AKG

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #13,067 of 15,260
Yes I know that’s why still thinking about it lol 😂
I love ❤️ it but the fits is little problematic
I don’t really use it maybe 2 hours every month
I have this AKG N5005 $199 is my go to fit my ears almost better than my AirPod Pro 2
But it’s really hard to make that decision since I already returned my M9 because of AKG
Well, if it does not get the deserved ear time, you probably have to sell it. I will not stand a kilbuck IEM or headphone collecting dust.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #13,068 of 15,260
I was near obsession levels over the IER-Z1R for a short stint when I first came back to this hobby/head-fi in April/May 2020 after a 5+ year hiatus. I never did get my hands on a pair to see if fit would be problematic for me, and based on users here I trust, I have zero doubts that sonically-speaking, they would totally be in my wheelhouse. If I actually used IEMs for more than a mere handful of hours each month for the past year+, I'd likely have bitten the bullet and blind bought out of frustration over not knowing someone IRL who owns a set to borrow from, hahaha.

As it is, I remain convinced I'd love their sound, but as I just can't abide poor fit/ergonomics, and my lack of IEM use, I can't justify a blind purchase.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #13,069 of 15,260
The one good thing about buying Z1R blind from the classifieds is that you're unlikely to lose any money in a resale. One of the safer blind buys, I'd say. Certainly worth the 'risk' if, like me, you end up finding the best IEM ever made... 😎

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #13,070 of 15,260
Yeah, I'm sure that's the case. I just don't like dealing with selling stuff in general. The little time I spend on the audio hobby is reading a few subscribed threads (this being one of them, hahaha); I just don't have the impetus to expend more time on it than that for the time being.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #13,071 of 15,260
No specs wont tell us the sound
What im saying is that based on the specs the zx707 is faster running the os compared the Wm1Am2
I’ll be quite irritated if my dap is sluggish to run the os
I am only asking after what you said earlier that "the specs says it has almost the same sound as a Wm1Am2".
in any event, if you could live with a WM1A, you can live with a M2, both speed and power.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #13,072 of 15,260
The one good thing about buying Z1R blind from the classifieds is that you're unlikely to lose any money in a resale. One of the safer blind buys, I'd say. Certainly worth the 'risk' if, like me, you end up finding the best IEM ever made... 😎
Boy, you said it right there!!

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #13,073 of 15,260
Thinking about selling my IER-Z1R
Meanwhile, for me, I am trying to find something that sounds similar so that I don't have to carry all that heft on the go. And to be honest, every time I try a new IEM at the 1K-1.5K USD range, all I hear in my head is "Not as good" or "this part would have sounded better on the Z1R".

Unlike Hotel California, you are free to leave as you wish but I am sure you will be back in no time! :wink:

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #13,074 of 15,260
Meanwhile, for me, I am trying to find something that sounds similar so that I don't have to carry all that heft on the go. And to be honest, every time I try a new IEM at the 1K-1.5K USD range, all I hear in my head is "Not as good" or "this part would have sounded better on the Z1R".

Unlike Hotel California, you are free to leave as you wish but I am sure you will be back in no time! :wink:
I'm looking for something to give my IER-Z1R a break to help prolong their life, or to use when I'm doing something that risks catching the cable and damaging the connectors.
Compared to you my budget is a lot lower (going secondhand) and my bar is not that high but coming from regular IER-Z1R use they can definitely lessen the experience of other iems.
I got a Black Friday bargain for the IE300 hoping for a low cost bang for buck iem, but the gap is too great in every area, I did enjoy the IE600 I demoed recently. I can't help but consider the XBA-Z5, or N3.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #13,076 of 15,260
I'm looking for something to give my IER-Z1R a break to help prolong their life, or to use when I'm doing something that risks catching the cable and damaging the connectors.
Compared to you my budget is a lot lower (going secondhand) and my bar is not that high but coming from regular IER-Z1R use they can definitely lessen the experience of other iems.
I got a Black Friday bargain for the IE300 hoping for a low cost bang for buck iem, but the gap is too great in every area, I did enjoy the IE600 I demoed recently. I can't help but consider the XBA-Z5, or N3.
The closest thing to the IER-Z1R is probably the IER-M9.

You have the same or better sound quality, higher isolation and the typical excellent Bass reproduction, but you lack the "Stereo System" Sound. The IER-M9 kinda sounds like an "closed" IER-Z1R, but it still has an large soundstage, given the song provides one.

The similarity between the XBA-Z5 and the IER-Z1R is much lower + you lack the isolation.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #13,077 of 15,260

You have the same or better sound quality, higher isolation and the typical excellent Bass reproduction, but you lack the "Stereo System" Sound. The IER-M9 kinda sounds like an "closed" IER-Z1R, but it still has an large soundstage, given the song provides one.

The similarity between the XBA-Z5 and the IER-Z1R is much lower + you lack the isolation.
I've always considered the M9 but the stubborn dynamic bass fan in me always ends up talking myself out of it, although I haven't completely ruled them out. The Z5 represented good times for me, well soundwise, and it was the fit that had me sell them. I still don't know my budget (secondhand) - the Z5 would be the lower, the IE600 probably my maximum, and the M9 really pushing it. I'm open to other options.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #13,078 of 15,260
I've always considered the M9 but the stubborn dynamic bass fan in me always ends up talking myself out of it, although I haven't completely ruled them out. The Z5 represented good times for me, well soundwise, and it was the fit that had me sell them. I still don't know my budget (secondhand) - the Z5 would be the lower, the IE600 probably my maximum, and the M9 really pushing it. I'm open to other options.
I liked the Z5 but for the fit, the only universal fit iem I was never able to get on with

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #13,079 of 15,260

I've heard that the 64 Audio Nio is comparable to the IER-Z1R insofar as it's a bass monster. Anyone with experience?

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #13,080 of 15,260
I've heard that the 64 Audio Nio is comparable to the IER-Z1R insofar as it's a bass monster. Anyone with experience?
I thought that 64audio’s Z1R was the Trio. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to experience it. Not so many appear on the used market while the MSRP is quite hight to blind buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back