SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #12,841 of 15,280
Man the z1r is an earful! But atleast one needs to remove them every 1 hour due to mild pain, and that activity of taking a break is good for one's hearing :)

I used to run 70% on the PHA-2A on my Z5 and I actually start lowering the volume since I got the Z1R as I can make out all the details and have the same bass impact at a lower level. Same hold true after I got the 1AM2 which I started at 70 and now I run at about 60-65

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #12,842 of 15,280
Man the z1r is an earful! But atleast one needs to remove them every 1 hour due to mild pain, and that activity of taking a break is good for one's hearing :)
Change your tips,I was also feeling mild pain after using my IER-Z1R for an hour or so but after switching to the JVC Spiral dot++ tips,I can use my IER-Z1R for hours without feeling any pain

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #12,843 of 15,280
Change your tips,I was also feeling mild pain after using my IER-Z1R for an hour or so but after switching to the JVC Spiral dot++ tips,I can use my IER-Z1R for hours without feeling any pain
I'll give them another try too!
Do you have any issues with the tip coming off the nozzle? I feel like it's a little wide and the tip easily gets stuck in my ear canal when removing the Z1R.

Deepest fit with acceptable comfort for me: Hybrid silicone SS tip and Final Audio Type E size S (unfortunately not that secure, IEMs are slowly sliding out)

So far the - by far - most comfortable tip is the Beyerdynamics Xelento (original) tip, size S (Waiting for XS to be back in stock).
It seals a little further out in the ear canal, thus avoiding the pressure points in the canal itself, position is still a good deep fit, just not as extreme as with the Silicone Hybrids. Overall, secure fit and comfort make this my preferred solution so far.
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/ohrpassstuecke-xelento.html

And last but not least sound quality! I'll have to write up a bit more when I find time, but the Z1R is simply amazing, paired with Chord Hugo 2. It's stunning how different it sounds to any other IEM I have heard. The energy, clarity and body of the notes took me by surprise. It takes me a little time to adapt to the quieter midrange compared to bass and treble, but the amazing clarity and separation makes the midrange come through crystal clear anyways and I love it!
Really happy to have this classic in my collection!

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #12,844 of 15,280
Do you have any issues with the tip coming off the nozzle? I feel like it's a little wide and the tip easily gets stuck in my ear canal when removing the Z1R.

Deepest fit with acceptable comfort for me: Hybrid silicone SS tip and Final Audio Type E size S (unfortunately not that secure, IEMs are slowly sliding out)

So far the - by far - most comfortable tip is the Beyerdynamics Xelento (original) tip, size S (Waiting for XS to be back in stock).
It seals a little further out in the ear canal, thus avoiding the pressure points in the canal itself, position is still a good deep fit, just not as extreme as with the Silicone Hybrids. Overall, secure fit and comfort make this my preferred solution so far.

And last but not least sound quality! I'll have to write up a bit more when I find time, but the Z1R is simply amazing, paired with Chord Hugo 2. It's stunning how different it sounds to any other IEM I have heard. The energy, clarity and body of the notes took me by surprise. It takes me a little time to adapt to the quieter midrange compared to bass and treble, but the amazing clarity and separation makes the midrange come through crystal clear anyways and I love it!
Congrats! My favourite tips are the Sony EP-EX11. Very similar to stock silicone but softer. Also among the cheapest tips you can buy. With these tips I can wear Z1R for hours pain free.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #12,845 of 15,280

No,I don’t have any such issue.I’m also using my IER-Z1R with a Hugo 2 that’s why I’m recommending you those tips

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #12,846 of 15,280
It seems I’ve had a driver failure in my right earpiece. I’ve lost significant volume from 20-500hz or so. I’ve contacted Sony who have said it’s repairable via the service center, however reading posts here leads me to believe it’s replacement only. Has anyone had experience with a repair?

My units are just out of Australia’s 3 year warranty, so I’m pushing Sony to cover repair or replacement as good will under Australian Consumer Law.

Feeling quite gutted 😢

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #12,847 of 15,280
It seems I’ve had a driver failure in my right earpiece. I’ve lost significant volume from 20-500hz or so. I’ve contacted Sony who have said it’s repairable via the service center, however reading posts here leads me to believe it’s replacement only. Has anyone had experience with a repair?

My units are just out of Australia’s 3 year warranty, so I’m pushing Sony to cover repair or replacement as good will under Australian Consumer Law.

Feeling quite gutted 😢
Other users have reported that they have been told that Sony considers the IER-Z1R to be unrepairable so will be replaced if within warranty but otherwise the user is out of luck

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #12,848 of 15,280
Other users have reported that they have been told that Sony considers the IER-Z1R to be unrepairable so will be replaced if within warranty but otherwise the user is out of luck
I mentioned this in our follow up call. I think I’m up for a fight, but Australia Consumer law is quite favourable and extends beyond written warranty policy to reasonable life. I’ve stated that it’s unreasonable for a $2500 IEM to fail in a little over 3 years, effectively becoming a $8xx/yr consumable when I have some $10 Sony earbuds in a drawer that have been going for 20+ years, and have requested a good will replacement or repair under the protection of that law.

The CSR assured me they are repairable, but no indication if I’m up for the bill. Not sure what to think and no idea how they’d be repaired looking at them without causing case damage. Also, would L/R be matched from factory? For instance I know Focal won’t replace one side driver, but insist on both. Cheers!

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #12,849 of 15,280

you can try a size smaller for the tips if it causes you pain. I use Radius Deep Mount.

for the tips coming off the nozzle, it seems sometimes tips do loosen slightly over time. i use a thin strip of plumber's tape (teflon, white) and it seems to work. it can be hidden by the tips.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #12,850 of 15,280

The spiral dot++ have slightly smaller neck to wont be as loose as original spiral dot and more rubbery/ grippy, still if you pull too fast they will stick in your ear. But they are comfortable and have great sound with Z1R. Personally maybe no 2 option eartips. First one currently cp100+, grippy, tight seal, reducing 6khz a little bit, nice sound with more impact and great fit for me

Feeling quite gutted 😢
Feel so sorry mate, did you drop yours or something happen? Thought the Z1R shell is build like a tank

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #12,851 of 15,280

Feeling quite gutted 😢
Maybe the capacitor borked or the connection on the PCB

I remember when I damaged my XBA-Z5, Sony offered to replace it for the half price.

I'd just send it in, you can still disagree if it's too expensive or maybe you get an even better deal because you didn't break it

Nov 28, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #12,853 of 15,280
Maybe more firm and fast?

I so far love sony cable the most comfortable and microphonics none existant. Love it
Agree on the cable! Do you know of a third party cable with as less microphonics as the Sony z1r cable? I need one in 0.78 for my u12t.

Nov 29, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #12,854 of 15,280
Dec 16, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #12,855 of 15,280
I didnt think it would be possible but since getting these a couple months ago I rarely through on the MDR-Z1R. I mainly use these with a new dmp-z1. I'lll fire up the MDR tomorrow with my tazzy and decide if I want to keep those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back