SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #12,811 of 15,280
Good evening, guys! After a few months without using my IERs, I find that the area of the cable that goes behind the ears has become very sticky. I once read about this problem with other owners. Is there any solution? Thank you very much!
Had the same issue today. No idea why it happens. I clean it with alcohol swabs, tap it dry, and hope for the best.

Nov 11, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #12,812 of 15,280
Got my pure silver cable, Lavricables wires, OeAudio terminator + bispa connectors special for z1r. Crafted by a local master from amazing company Kennerton audio. Light like a feather and stunning sounding cable
Hi friend, can you let me know the contract detail of the craftman? I'm after someone who can make me a cable using the bispa mmcx cable, thank you.

Nov 11, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #12,813 of 15,280
Good evening, guys! After a few months without using my IERs, I find that the area of the cable that goes behind the ears has become very sticky. I once read about this problem with other owners. Is there any solution? Thank you very much!

Had the same issue today. No idea why it happens. I clean it with alcohol swabs, tap it dry, and hope for the best.

Clean it up with IPA alcohol, and you may want to repeat the process until it doesn't sticky. I have similar case before and sometimes it will get sticky also.
I guess need to clean up and let it stay on open fresh air regularly. Beware the spare cable also

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #12,814 of 15,280
I leave mine cover in cotton cloth in the open to avoid dust when i listen to it regularly. I have also bought an ikea cabinet for my MDR, so whichever not using for some time will be inside. I maintain the cabinet by using dehumidifier like thirsty hippo, though i need to change it every 2 to 3 months once the water is full.

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #12,815 of 15,280
Hi friend, can you let me know the contract detail of the craftman? I'm after someone who can make me a cable using the bispa mmcx cable, thank you.
They don’t make bespoke cables, only the range you can find on their web page.

Edit: Sorry, thought you referenced Lavricables but see it is Kennerton and they make bespoke

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #12,816 of 15,280
Just a PSA to let you all know my buying experience with Amazon. I purchased a set of new IER-Z1r from Amazon on 10-14. New. Amazon was the seller. They showed up via prime a few days later and were clearly in an opened package. Actual headphones and their case missing from the Sony retail packaging and also included was some ear cheese from the person who likely returned them incomplete.

I’ve spent multiple hours of my own time the past two saturdays with a futile Amazon refund process. In hindsight, I wish I would have exchanged them and maybe at this point I would at least have headphones. The insinuation from Amazon cs has been pretty clear that I stole them as they are slow playing (at best) the refund.

I’d stick to buying high dollar stuff like this from boutique reputable sellers that have a modicum of common sense. My businesss and my businesses million plus dollar spend per year with Amazon doesn’t mean squat and I’ve been reduced to feeling like a common thief, although I did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #12,817 of 15,280
Just a PSA to let you all know my buying experience with Amazon. I purchased a set of new IER-Z1r from Amazon on 10-14. New. Amazon was the seller. They showed up via prime a few days later and were clearly in an opened package. Actual headphones and their case missing from the Sony retail packaging and also included was some ear cheese from the person who likely returned them incomplete.

I’ve spent multiple hours of my own time the past two saturdays with a futile Amazon refund process. In hindsight, I wish I would have exchanged them and maybe at this point I would at least have headphones. The insinuation from Amazon cs has been pretty clear that I stole them as they are slow playing (at best) the refund.

I’d stick to buying high dollar stuff like this from boutique reputable sellers that have a modicum of common sense. My businesss and my businesses million plus dollar spend per year with Amazon doesn’t mean squat and I’ve been reduced to feeling like a common thief, although I did nothing wrong.

I had similar experience with Amazon few years back, I ordered Kef LS50 speakers and after few days the online stauts did show delivered (left in front of door), I was at home at that time, got excited and immediately check the door, shockingly I found nothing there. It took around a month to deal with Customer service and delivery guys to get an refund.

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #12,818 of 15,280
Reversely I’ve had absolutely no problems with dealing with Amazon UK. Bought my TA, MDR-Z1R, 1Z and PS-HX500 usb record player as Amazon Warehouse returns and each time it went smooth. Some other purchase (a Sony compact camera) when delivered turned out to be 2 boxes of cat food but they imediately sent out a new one.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #12,819 of 15,280
Hi, sure I can, but the thing is that Kennerton is based in Saint Petersburg, and delivery is quite complicated our days.
But I suppose you can buy bispa mmcx as I did and send it to any ( to @lavricables for instance) craftsman and he will make a cable for you.
Btw, I still love that cable:) Moreover, I have absolutely the same but with 2-pin connectors for my Kennerton Rig custom planar. The only competitor from my perspective is Silvergard from Trevor, but the price is different + they are pretty hard to find

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #12,820 of 15,280
i will write this later after comparing in detail.

i bought some tips:
  • spinfit cp100, 145, 155, 240, 360
  • epro - horn shaped
  • earrbond - ebt (hybrid)
  • azla - sedna earfit
  • radius - deep mount
  • comply foam - comply 200
  • final audio - typ e
  • mandarin es - symbio w (hybrid)

this is the first time where i switch many tips within hours and compare them. what i can say so far, especially for those having just 1 pair of tips: damn, tips really change the sound, wow - i couldn't imagine this before. now it makes sense to me when people say: try some tips until you find the one that fits your ears and taste...

1) thank you all for the various recommendations
2) those having just 1 pair of tips: you need to try others as well
3) when doing more critical listening, i will drop some similarities and differences between tips.
Did you get the azla sednaearfit vivid ?
I find the vivid & Max tend to get overlooked along with the standard black & those 3 are the only ones i end up using. Lol
I use the Radius deep fits on my shure se846.

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #12,821 of 15,280
i had same issue, juste clean gently with spraynine in cloth then clean cable , then treat with aerospace 303 protectant

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #12,822 of 15,280
Does anyone use with the Fiio LC-RC cable. I was wondering if the angle design of the connectors works with the Z1R? From memory of owning an earlier model cable their connectors were quite tight with the XBA-N3 I had at the time, I really prefer not to stress the MMCX connectors if they are the same as the IER-Z1R.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #12,825 of 15,280
is there a way to check on the health of the battery other than timing how long it lasts? Just bought a store demo on Amazon for 2/3rd retail but want to make sure its in good shape before keeping it.
No way other than timing it that I know of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back