SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 15, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #12,826 of 15,280
is there a way to check on the health of the battery other than timing how long it lasts? Just bought a store demo on Amazon for 2/3rd retail but want to make sure its in good shape before keeping it.
The Z 1R has no battery, i was referring to the DMP-Z1

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #12,827 of 15,280
what daps are you guys using that has tidal? I have the r6 pro and m11 plus in front of me and am not in love with either. Ideally I want something builds upon the Sony sound without having a Sony dap. I have the wm1a and while I like the sound it doesnt have tidal. I tried the newer Sony dap with tidal and it was super slow. Would you guys recommend anything else under $1200 or so? Im listening to EDM for the most part.

Im leaning towards the r6 pro because of the smaller size since I dont hear much of a difference between it and the m11 plus
a month later and I've gone from the wm1a and tazzy to Shanling m9 and DMP-Z1 (coming within a week). This is a serious disease guys.

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #12,828 of 15,280
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound to me.
I know Im late but I have Bose Sleepbuds II and they are amazing for sleeping as they are wireless and tiny. However, they dont play music, just white noise or rain like sfx.

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #12,829 of 15,280
a month later and I've gone from the wm1a and tazzy to Shanling m9 and DMP-Z1 (coming within a week). This is a serious disease guys.
Congrats, mine is arriving today, probably why I'm up so early! Read through the Z1 thread if you haven't some good info sprinkled in amongst the taz vs 1 debate! :beyersmile:

Assuming you have IER, let me know what you think of them paired with Z1! :sunglasses:

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #12,830 of 15,280
Congrats, mine is arriving today, probably why I'm up so early! Read through the Z1 thread if you haven't some good info sprinkled in amongst the taz vs 1 debate! :beyersmile:

Assuming you have IER, let me know what you think of them paired with Z1! :sunglasses:
What's the TL;DR? To me Taz is like a supercharged OG WM1Z.

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #12,831 of 15,280
What's the TL;DR? To me Taz is like a supercharged OG WM1Z.
Taz warmer than the golden knob,(I'm guessing its like 1Z vs M2), DMP :goat: stage, preference, Diana an awesome pairing, MDR hit and miss, Z1R awesome sauce, hard to drive HP a no go.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #12,833 of 15,280
Hi, im curious abour the lavricable you are using, may i know you are using the ultimate or master line series? and can the mmcx connectors be removed like the stock cable ?
is the mmcx connector rotatable too like the stock cable? TIA

i am also curious about it.

lavri have a dedicated cable for the ier-z1r.

but headfiers using the zier z1r for a longer time acknowledge that the stock cable is really good already.
sorry for the late reply guys. I have the ones you linked there. They aren't like the stock cable connectors unfortunately. I needed some extra length and loved my grand line for the MDR-Z1R. The hooks over the ears work much better for me on these too. I haven't tried switching these out since others have messed theirs up.

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #12,835 of 15,280
Does anyone use with the Fiio LC-RC cable. I was wondering if the angle design of the connectors works with the Z1R? From memory of owning an earlier model cable their connectors were quite tight with the XBA-N3 I had at the time, I really prefer not to stress the MMCX connectors if they are the same as the IER-Z1R.
I have the LC cable ( for sale :p) and it will fit, but they have to go way deeper inside the shell than normal MMCX connectors that connect at the surface. I don't feel that they are too tight, but I had to be careful taking them out since I had read other posts that people broke the connector inside the IEM. the cable definitely adds some sparkle to treble due to the silver, but I chose to stick with the OEM cable.

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #12,836 of 15,280
I have the LC cable ( for sale :p) and it will fit, but they have to go way deeper inside the shell than normal MMCX connectors that connect at the surface. I don't feel that they are too tight, but I had to be careful taking them out since I had read other posts that people broke the connector inside the IEM. the cable definitely adds some sparkle to treble due to the silver, but I chose to stick with the OEM cable.
Thanks for sharing that.
It would be easy to stick with the stock cable but I find it tends to form large loops that frequently catch on things whereas my experience with braided cables is they usually coil and collapse nicer.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #12,837 of 15,280
Just a PSA to let you all know my buying experience with Amazon. I purchased a set of new IER-Z1r from Amazon on 10-14. New. Amazon was the seller. They showed up via prime a few days later and were clearly in an opened package. Actual headphones and their case missing from the Sony retail packaging and also included was some ear cheese from the person who likely returned them incomplete.

I’ve spent multiple hours of my own time the past two saturdays with a futile Amazon refund process. In hindsight, I wish I would have exchanged them and maybe at this point I would at least have headphones. The insinuation from Amazon cs has been pretty clear that I stole them as they are slow playing (at best) the refund.

I’d stick to buying high dollar stuff like this from boutique reputable sellers that have a modicum of common sense. My businesss and my businesses million plus dollar spend per year with Amazon doesn’t mean squat and I’ve been reduced to feeling like a common thief, although I did nothing wrong.
I always make a habit to record the unboxing of delivery boxes, especially so when it's a kilobuck items.
The Z1R is still my no 1 IEM, I can't gell with Andromeda's fussiness with hiss, output impedance and BA timbre, and my attempt at a side grade with KSE1200 failed so am staying put~.
I find the IE300 is a pretty good "mini Z1R" for me when going portable and also as sleeping iem, I find it closer to the Z1R than my XBA A3 is. (Only on the bass and mids tho, the treble on the IE300 can be pretty splashy and trashy sometimes).
IMG00477_HDR.jpg

My EDC on normal workday
I'm reminded of how controlled the treble on the Z1R are on busy tracks. This thing always sounds so natural for everything, nothing can unsettle it.

Nov 16, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #12,838 of 15,280
I always make a habit to record the unboxing of delivery boxes, especially so when it's a kilobuck items.
The Z1R is still my no 1 IEM, I can't gell with Andromeda's fussiness with hiss, output impedance and BA timbre, and my attempt at a side grade with KSE1200 failed so am staying put~.
I find the IE300 is a pretty good "mini Z1R" for me when going portable and also as sleeping iem, I find it closer to the Z1R than my XBA A3 is. (Only on the bass and mids tho, the treble on the IE300 can be pretty splashy and trashy sometimes).
IMG00477_HDR.jpg
My EDC on normal workday
I'm reminded of how controlled the treble on the Z1R are on busy tracks. This thing always sounds so natural for everything, nothing can unsettle it.

As a follow up to my ranting…

I don’t know who I got through to, but a regional manager with Amazon showed up at my house tonight at 944pm with the new headphones. They're perfect and I’m now enjoying them thoroughly.

Cm

Nov 16, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #12,839 of 15,280
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #12,840 of 15,280
Man the z1r is an earful! But atleast one needs to remove them every 1 hour due to mild pain, and that activity of taking a break is good for one's hearing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back