SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #11,386 of 15,363
There are also several ways to measure them in addition to that and in addition to that, its just the frequency graph. It still doesn't tell how the In-Ear sounds.

I personally prefer the oldshool "If i listen to this song, these things change". There is still a big margin of error, but it helps better to imagine what something sounds like.

On the graphs, the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and the IER-Z1R perform very similar, in reality, they could not sound more different. And also the Source plays an big and important role too.

One guy bought the DMP-Z1 and was very disappointed. Quote "If you're older and hard of hearing, this is the right source for you and the midrange barks like a dog".

He was actually describing his ChiFi IEM but he didn't knew his ChiFi IEM sounds like that because with the source he owned before, it sounded different and he did not have the issues.

So imho, and i know people hate me for that, FR graphs are pretty much useless and just a geeky and nerdy way of people desperate to find a way to compare the 100000 IEMs that get released every year. Its the same with measuring sources. The sources that have the worst measuring are often the ones that sound best. But people buy the ones with the best measuring and then complain, that it doesn't sound as good.

We should all stop look at measurings and concentrate more about how things actually sound when you listen to them. Just my two cents.

Jan 24, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #11,387 of 15,363
As owner wm1a in past I can say that for me z1r do not show their shine with it or with Zx300/507
After adding Oriolus ba300s in the chain sound improved significantly IMHO, for me that is proof of powerless of sony daps
I’ve tried many sources with z1r cuz it is my favorite iem and for now, Hugo 2 is far away from any of the daps that I’ve heard. Bass control, clear mid range and amazing airy timbres
Also, I can't understand foam like Comply or any other... they are don't match with timbre at all...
Pair my with different ear tips( spent tons on Amazon.jp) and the best for me is acoustune aet07 and Azla Crystal is a bit behind. Aet07 helps in controlling low frequencies well.

As for cable, waiting for wires to build a new amazing cable to z1r -pure silver 22Awg 4 wire with OeAudio swappable connectors and mmcx that I’ve found in Japan that were created for z1r.
Will share the results soon :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #11,388 of 15,363
As owner wm1a in past I can say that for me z1r do not show their shine with it or with Zx300/507
After adding Oriolus ba300s in the chain sound improved significantly IMHO, for me that is proof of powerless of sony daps
I’ve tried many sources with z1r cuz it is my favorite iem and for now, Hugo 2 is far away from any of the daps that I’ve heard. Bass control, clear mid range and amazing airy timbres
Also, I can't understand foam like Comply or any other... they are don't match with timbre at all...
Pair my with different ear tips( spent tons on Amazon.jp) and the best for me is acoustune aet07 and Azla Crystal is a bit behind. Aet07 helps in controlling low frequencies well.

As for cable, waiting for wires to build a new amazing cable to z1r -pure silver 22Awg 4 wire with OeAudio swappable connectors and mmcx that I’ve found in Japan that were created for z1r.
Will share the results soon :)
The Maximum Input Power of the IER-Z1R is 100mw. If you push more into them, they will just burst and you ear with them.

Whatever you experienced is unrelated to output power.

If you like the sound of the Oriolus ba300s more, than you will pretty much not like the TA-ZH1ES either. And thats an 1300mW @ 32Ω Desktop Amp.

I assume you just prefer the sound of the Oriolus ba300s over the WM1A

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #11,389 of 15,363
The Maximum Input Power of the IER-Z1R is 100mw. If you push more into them, they will just burst and you ear with them.

If you like the sound of the Oriolus ba300s more, than you will pretty much not like the TA-ZH1ES either. And thats an 1300mW @ 32Ω Desktop Amp.

I expect it’s more related to damping factor than volumepower, I mean even my laptop or older iPhone makes them more than loud enough but they don’t sound good

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #11,390 of 15,363
I expect it’s more related to damping factor than volumepower, I mean even my laptop or older iPhone makes them more than loud enough but they don’t sound good
I mean yes, there is a smidge more damping factor to the TA than both the Walkmans.........WM1A, WM1Z. Hard to believe the Hugo 2 is THAT much better than the Walkmans? But who knows, synergy is a thing? Also I would think the TA is at least on par with the Hugo 2? Again though....synergy? Getting that control over the diaphragm is essential in cleaning up the low end bass fog and seemingly increasing soundstage. And yes, just a phone IS loud enough, but we are not talking about listening volume, of course!

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #11,391 of 15,363
The FiiO M17 does have 3000mW and makes them sound boring and flat. Even the 15mW NW-A50 make the Z1R sound more exciting than the M17.

The WM1Z was designed with the MDR-Z1R in mind and this one does have much higher requirements than the IER-Z1R.

The Oriolus ba300s is an Tube amp, if someone says the Oriolus ba300s is an improvement, he most likely doesn't like the sound of digital amp.

But imho the Final A8000 is a much better match for the Oriolus ba300s than the IER-Z1R, but thats just a matter of taste and personal opinion. If he loves the IER-Z1R with the Oriolus ba300s most, thats absolutely fine, but i highly doubt that that it is related to the WM1 output power or damping factor.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #11,392 of 15,363
The FiiO M17 does have 3000mW and makes them sound boring and flat. Even the 15mW NW-A50 make the Z1R sound more exciting than the M17.

The WM1Z was designed with the MDR-Z1R in mind and this one does have much higher requirements than the IER-Z1R.

The Oriolus ba300s is an Tube amp, if someone says the Oriolus ba300s is an improvement, he most likely doesn't like the sound of digital amp.

But imho the Final A8000 is a much better match for the Oriolus ba300s than the IER-Z1R, but thats just a matter of taste and personal opinion. If he loves the IER-Z1R with the Oriolus ba300s most, thats absolutely fine, but i highly doubt that that it is related to the WM1 output power or damping factor.
Don’t think they had the WM1Z in mind with the development of the MDR-Z1R? It is showcased having the two together, but it’s not optimal, it’s just marketing! IMO

8693186C-7904-4E44-92F7-14E4FA1EFFC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #11,393 of 15,363
Percentage wise, in your opinion how much better is the dmp-z1 better than the wm1a, while listening the the z1r?(Odd question, I know.)
The detail retri val is much more on DMP, also mids and the bass has better definition, more control of the bass.

Sound stage on DMP is more holographic i dare to say it sounds binaural/surround-like on well mastered material.

On not so well mastered on also poor records it still brings the music to its finest point..

Wm1A sounds smoother vs DMP which is more energetic

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #11,394 of 15,363
Don’t think they had the WM1Z in mind with the development of the MDR-Z1R? It is showcased having the two together, but it’s not optimal, it’s just marketing! IMO

8693186C-7904-4E44-92F7-14E4FA1EFFC0.jpeg
At the time of its release, the MDR-Z1R was the only 4,4mm Headphone Sony offered. There was litteraly no other 4,4mm Headphone from Sony you could plug into it.

Sony offered 4,4mm upgrade cables, but they came afterwards. So it was pretty much MDR-Z1R or nothing.

At first i didn't like the combination of the WM1Z and the MDR-Z1R because i thought its too warm, but even though it is a quite warm match, no other DAP i have tested so far made the MDR-Z1R sound so authentic, especially in terms of drums and acoustic music.

No Matter if its the SP2000 or SP2000T from A&K, the M11 Plus LTD or M17 from FiiO, the DX300 MAX from iBasso or whatever, the WM1Z just beat them all in terms of authenticity.

The only devices i found so far that were able to beat the WM1Z but still kept this realistic sound were the TA-ZH1ES and the DMP-Z1. So compared to those, yes, i think the WM1Z lacks ins some aspects but i doubt that is due to its power.

But in terms of "I put it in my pocket and take it with me", i have not found something yet that makes music sound that authentic and realistic and this would not be possible if it woudl lack power.

I listened to "Scars of the Shattered Sky" from Agalloch with the MDR-Z1R with so many DAPs including the above mentioned A&K, FiiO and iBasso, all of them have _much_ more power than the WM1Z but only one was able to turn the Song into more. Where its no longer just a Song you listen to but an experience.

A few weeks i thought i prefer the M11 Plus LTD more because it was able to present more details and made the MDR-Z1R sound more balanced. But after listening to the M11 Plus LTD for 2 weeks straight and going back to the WM1Z, it was a instant "Oh wow, how could i forget it sounded that good".

So imho, the WM1Z is an excellent match for the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R. Not as good as the bigger TA-ZH1ES/DMP-Z1 but i can put non of these in my pocket.

And other DAPs may be better than the WM1Z in some aspects, but fall behind in others. You get some, you loose some. But this specific authentic and realistic acoustic sound is something no other DAP was able to give me. The SP2000T Hybrid Mode sounded awesome and made acoustic music sound good, but in a different way.

It took me some time to grow to this combination and i still prefer the TA-ZH1ES over it. But when i leave the house, there is the WM1Z and the IER-Z1R in my bag and as long Sony doesn't release any successor, for me personally, there is nothing better for that use case.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #11,395 of 15,363
At the time of its release, the MDR-Z1R was the only 4,4mm Headphone Sony offered. There was litteraly no other 4,4mm Headphone from Sony you could plug into it.

Sony offered 4,4mm upgrade cables, but they came afterwards. So it was pretty much MDR-Z1R or nothing.

At first i didn't like the combination of the WM1Z and the MDR-Z1R because i thought its too warm, but even though it is a quite warm match, no other DAP i have tested so far made the MDR-Z1R sound so authentic, especially in terms of drums and acoustic music.

No Matter if its the SP2000 or SP2000T from A&K, the M11 Plus LTD or M17 from FiiO, the DX300 MAX from iBasso or whatever, the WM1Z just beat them all in terms of authenticity.

The only devices i found so far that were able to beat the WM1Z but still kept this realistic sound were the TA-ZH1ES and the DMP-Z1. So compared to those, yes, i think the WM1Z lacks ins some aspects but i doubt that is due to its power.

But in terms of "I put it in my pocket and take it with me", i have not found something yet that makes music sound that authentic and realistic and this would not be possible if it woudl lack power.

I listened to "Scars of the Shattered Sky" from Agalloch with the MDR-Z1R with so many DAPs including the above mentioned A&K, FiiO and iBasso, all of them have _much_ more power than the WM1Z but only one was able to turn the Song into more. Where its no longer just a Song you listen to but an experience.

A few weeks i thought i prefer the M11 Plus LTD more because it was able to present more details and made the MDR-Z1R sound more balanced. But after listening to the M11 Plus LTD for 2 weeks straight and going back to the WM1Z, it was a instant "Oh wow, how could i forget it sounded that good".

So imho, the WM1Z is an excellent match for the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R. Not as good as the bigger TA-ZH1ES/DMP-Z1 but i can put non of these in my pocket.

And other DAPs may be better than the WM1Z in some aspects, but fall behind in others. You get some, you loose some. But this specific authentic and realistic acoustic sound is something no other DAP was able to give me. The SP2000T Hybrid Mode sounded awesome and made acoustic music sound good, but in a different way.

It took me some time to grow to this combination and i still prefer the TA-ZH1ES over it. But when i leave the house, there is the WM1Z and the IER-Z1R in my bag and as long Sony doesn't release any successor, for me personally, there is nothing better for that use case.
The TA does have the damping factor taken to a slightly better place with the MDR-Z1R. But I read once (here) that the Sony engineers made the TA for the MDR-Z1R, that the WM1Z was shown in pictures by Sony marketing. But it’s true, that there is nothing wrong with WM1Z to drive them? The difference is very small compared to the TA. Plus how cool is it to have full-size headphones with the WM-1Z? Back in 2016 it was somewhat of a novelty to have such a combo! In many ways it’s still a novelty even today! Of course 4.4mm is also marketing in a way? Of course it offers more power, but Sony is using the different amp in the player specific for 4.4mm. Meaning I am not sure if (maybe) 3.5mm couldn’t have been made to be just as powerful?

I’m not criticizing anything. Of course I voted for these innovations with my own dollars! Obviously 4.4mm was revolutionary in many ways to our hobby. I remember buying the XBA-N3 simply due to it being one of the few IEMs that came with a 4.4mm cable. I do remember a time when there was almost no 4.4mm cables or headphones on the market, let alone any amplifiers (other than Sony) that used it!

A newly acquired 4.4mm cable added to use with the XBA-Z5 made it unarguably better than using the 3.5mm with the WM1Z. But it was of course a wash using the choice of 3.5mm X2 balanced from the TA or 4.4mm balanced with the XBA-Z5. IMO

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #11,396 of 15,363

As previously guys have mentioned already these numbers it's just about volume. You need the power to control DD in z1r and it scales well with extra power, I've tried different amps and some of them were extremely clear- without adding any coloration, like Takstar or xduo for instance. And wm1a sounds better with them IMHO.
I'm glad that you have found your sound with z1r and WM1Z because I still can't find dap that could give the same result as Hugo 2 and now I'm waiting for another DAP from Hifiman and hope it'll be good...

Sometimes I regret that I've sold wm1a - really good DAP no matter how long it;s on the market

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #11,397 of 15,363
Hey guys, as I was cleaning one of the monitors with a wax cleaning tool, 1⃣ of the mesh that covers the tube kinda collapsed inwards. Can't see it anymore. Would that be an issue down the road? Should I try to extract it somehow?

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #11,398 of 15,363

The fiio m17 pairing with z1r pretty good to my ears, doesnt sound flat or boring. But its just my opinion 😀

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #11,399 of 15,363
Hey guys, as I was cleaning one of the monitors with a wax cleaning tool, 1⃣ of the mesh that covers the tube kinda collapsed inwards. Can't see it anymore. Would that be an issue down the road? Should I try to extract it somehow?
If by mesh, you mean the foam?

If the foam is not visible and no longer in the tube, it may come in contact with components internally and alter the sound.

Sony has always used foam inside the nozzles to dampen the treble a bit as well.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #11,400 of 15,363
Right now I'm slightly confused with all that balanced/unbalanced direction theme and better ask before wasting money or even damage anything.
The plan is to use a Sony IER with the 4.4mm balanced cable and sometimes in combination with the smartphone (3.5mm jack), so is these DJ44C the right adapter or the forbidden way ?

Attachments

• dj44.png
    dj44.png
    696 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back