SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #11,296 of 15,290
Ok..

So I have made a rather startling discovery. I had a thought.. what if I try some of my other cables on this.. I haven't really found much luck in getting significant sound improvements from prior experiments with other IEMs, so through my trials and errors I have a few spare MMCX / Balanced cables lying around.

In my efforts to see what I could do to better the stock cables, I connected the ALO audio reference 8, and I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. Lorde Royals - the starting part has these rather obvious hi-hats, and the decay on those hi-hats recessed very quickly on the standard cables. On the reference 8 they not only has significant bite but a lovely crisp presence that lingered. There wasn't much change in the low-end, bar the resonance of Billie Eilish's Oxytocin - this track had roomier resonance through the R8.

Guys if you were on the fence about trying out different cables let me assure you there is indeed a difference. Perhaps the Kimber cables released by Sony were always the default path they wanted people to take, as the standard cables are rather bad in hamstringing the true value of these IEMs.

The one thing which prevented me from falling in love with these IEMs has now been taken away.. The resolution of the high-end is far more resolving than the Solaris OG, however for now I still agree with others comments that the Solaris is more balanced.

If you want me to quantify a percentage difference in how much better the R8 sounds versus standard cables, I am going to risk it and say its a significant % (Perhaps 55-60%) increase on overall sound quality that modify the presentation of these IEMs completely. I did get the R8s second hand. This is the part of the hobby I love, locked away for for a few years these cables sat there unused and unloved and now they will serve the mighty Z1Rs :D
I can’t comment on your cables as I have not tried them but in general I find the stock cables to be amongst the best stock cables I’ve ever had and while the Dunu Blanche did make a meaningfull improvement for me over the stock, I would say it’s more like perhaps 5%, certainly not in the 50-60% line

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #11,297 of 15,290
Yeah that small margin is usually why I never switched stock cables on other IEMs. This is a very obvious difference thus my shock. I.e. the presentation completely changed. Perhaps on factor could be that the reference 8s are well used now and the Z1Rs cables are brand new.

I am very happy with the combination of these two IEMs - hopefully should keep me going for a while.. :D

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #11,298 of 15,290
How are you folks storing the earphones?
The case seems a bit too small..

I have ordered one of those larger Miter cases but was wondering if you could show me how you store it?
Not keen on disconnecting the MMCX every time due to the horror stories posted elsewhere.

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #11,299 of 15,290

I have ordered one of those larger Miter cases but was wondering if you could show me how you store it?
Not keen on disconnecting the MMCX every time due to the horror stories posted elsewhere.
I use these 2 Dignis cases for dap+iem

3CC8A609-061F-4A76-A789-DD64CD1E5AB3.jpeg

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #11,300 of 15,290

You only want to connect the MMCX about two to four times. Basically find your cable and leave it on. I store my IER-Z1R in a small 7” by 6” cardboard box then inside a pelican case that’s giant.

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #11,302 of 15,290
Thanks for the idea gents, this should be arriving on Monday.
Shall keep it in here from then :)

I am happy with the Ref 8 cable now. I just need to find some memory wire to make sure it stays on my ears.

cvhAHp6.jpg

This is the Miter Case - looks quite sturdy
It is. Here's mine:

PSX_20211231_004613.jpg

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #11,303 of 15,290
I found a song that suits excellent to test the treble of headphones. With the song それは小さな光のような from さユり there are some very high frequency sounds in the background of the song (similar to the noise some cheap power supply emits) that change the frequency but are always high.

With the IER-M9, I can hear them all and they only change the frequency, not the volume (at least not to an amount I notice)

With the FiiO FA9 it's pretty much the same, but the FA9 does peak sometimes. Not to a point where is painful, but noticeable.

With the IER-Z1R I was expecting to hear them the best because the treble is more forward compared to the IER-M9 which is more warmer. But to my surprise, the IER-Z1R was not capable in producing the frequencies linear. When the sound changed the frequency, it sometimes just disappeared. I assume it dropped in volume below my capability in hearing. The MDR-Z1R performed worse with dropping below hearing but also peaking unpleasant to a point where is painful, also this sound started to sound grainy with the MDR-Z1R.

I did throw the XBA-Z5 into the mix and it also performed surprisingly well, but worse than the M9 and FA9

So in terms of reproducing high frequencies with this specific song, it's like this

IER-M9 > FA9 > XBA-Z5 > IER-Z1R > MDR-Z1R

This is only regarding the very high frequencies in the background during the refrain, this is no statement about which Earphone renders the song best.

So even though the IER-Z1R does have the most forward treble of all these, it seems to have issues with this song which actually surprised me. But I did notice a similar behaviour with ReoNa and the M9 Vs Z1R. So it seems to be consistent and not only related to this single song. On the other hand, I have almost no other songs with such clear very high frequencies.

The IER-M9, IER-Z1R and XBA-Z5 performed the best with memory foam. The FA9 performed best with the Bass silicon tips.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #11,304 of 15,290
I found a song that suits excellent to test the treble of headphones. With the song それは小さな光のような from さユり there are some very high frequency sounds in the background of the song (similar to the noise some cheap power supply emits) that change the frequency but are always high.

With the IER-M9, I can hear them all and they only change the frequency, not the volume (at least not to an amount I notice)

With the FiiO FA9 it's pretty much the same, but the FA9 does peak sometimes. Not to a point where is painful, but noticeable.

With the IER-Z1R I was expecting to hear them the best because the treble is more forward compared to the IER-M9 which is more warmer. But to my surprise, the IER-Z1R was not capable in producing the frequencies linear. When the sound changed the frequency, it sometimes just disappeared. I assume it dropped in volume below my capability in hearing. The MDR-Z1R performed worse with dropping below hearing but also peaking unpleasant to a point where is painful, also this sound started to sound grainy with the MDR-Z1R.

I did throw the XBA-Z5 into the mix and it also performed surprisingly well, but worse than the M9 and FA9

So in terms of reproducing high frequencies with this specific song, it's like this

IER-M9 > FA9 > XBA-Z5 > IER-Z1R > MDR-Z1R

This is only regarding the very high frequencies in the background during the refrain, this is no statement about which Earphone renders the song best.

So even though the IER-Z1R does have the most forward treble of all these, it seems to have issues with this song which actually surprised me. But I did notice a similar behaviour with ReoNa and the M9 Vs Z1R. So it seems to be consistent and not only related to this single song. On the other hand, I have almost no other songs with such clear very high frequencies.

The IER-M9, IER-Z1R and XBA-Z5 performed the best with memory foam. The FA9 performed best with the Bass silicon tips.
are you talking about the high frequency starts around 2:31 of the song?

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #11,305 of 15,290
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #11,306 of 15,290
Honesty, when I had the Solaris SE and Z1R they were very different IEM's with different aims IMO. The Solaris SE prioritises balance and no part of the FR response is exaggerated. It looks to make a holographic stage with a very balanced sound. The Z1R is a lot more energetic and v-shaped in comparison but its bass and treble is very impressive. The mids sound a bit more recessed compared to the Solaris.
Thank you for your insight. Which would you say is better for classical/orchestral music? Particularly violin/viola/cello.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #11,307 of 15,290
Thank you for your insight. Which would you say is better for classical/orchestral music? Particularly violin/viola/cello.
I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you, I don’t listen to a lot of those genres. Hypothetically I think I would prefer the Solaris SE due to the holographic instrument placement and spherical stage but I can see an argument for preferring the Z1R with its much better bass foundation and the sure-footedness of it treble response. Hopefully someone who owns both will be able to chip in with more insight.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #11,308 of 15,290
I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you, I don’t listen to a lot of those genres. Hypothetically I think I would prefer the Solaris SE due to the holographic instrument placement and spherical stage but I can see an argument for preferring the Z1R with its much better bass foundation and the sure-footedness of it treble response. Hopefully someone who owns both will be able to chip in with more insight.
Thanks! 😊

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #11,309 of 15,290
Definitely Solaris, since the cello frequencies are not forward on the z1r, listening Elgar (Jaqueline Dupre) the dynamics of that set are just lost on the z1r. However it’s the first time I’ve felt the pop of the cannons in 1812 telarc cd :) however that wasn’t a classical instrument lol (Dont think cannons count)

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #11,310 of 15,290
People are referring to damping factors which optimize the bass. It has nothing to do with volume, but more control over the driver. At a point even desktop power can unlock potential driver control of the IER-Z1R. Of course you can drive them with a phone, though it leaves a little out.

THis is great, I haven't heard of damping factor being a big factor in IEMs (or on/over-ears) as of yet. In speaker amps it's largely been considered a solved problem for some time now so I guess I just forgot about it. Can you point me to some good reading on DF in an IEM context?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back