SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 2, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #11,311 of 15,290
THis is great, I haven't heard of damping factor being a big factor in IEMs (or on/over-ears) as of yet. In speaker amps it's largely been considered a solved problem for some time now so I guess I just forgot about it. Can you point me to some good reading on DF in an IEM context?
Thanks, I’m not even sure you would call it damping factor? But it’s really the same thing I think? Your right, It’s primarily a term used in speakers and full-size headphones. No.....I don’t have any reading material for you on the subject? But soundstage is also affected by it? It seems? So it’s perceived speed of the driver, which actually cleans up a lot of lower midrange fog, and improves pace...........imaging. This is just perceived changes from more power since I got the IER-Z1R in February 2019? So I’m attempting to label the phenomenon? Most would agree these changes with more power, though their vocabulary on the subject may be different than mine?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #11,312 of 15,290
How do you like the gryphon? I have been thinking about picking one up.
I really like the synergy between Gryphon and Z1R (and MDR too). It has plenty of clean power and a very clean, complementary sound with no discernible noise floor.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #11,313 of 15,290
Thank you for your insight. Which would you say is better for classical/orchestral music? Particularly violin/viola/cello.
I love both the Z1R for classical (well for any genre) to the point that since having them I have not even desired looking for anything else

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #11,314 of 15,290
I found a song that suits excellent to test the treble of headphones. With the song それは小さな光のような from さユり there are some very high frequency sounds in the background of the song (similar to the noise some cheap power supply emits) that change the frequency but are always high.

With the IER-M9, I can hear them all and they only change the frequency, not the volume (at least not to an amount I notice)

With the FiiO FA9 it's pretty much the same, but the FA9 does peak sometimes. Not to a point where is painful, but noticeable.

With the IER-Z1R I was expecting to hear them the best because the treble is more forward compared to the IER-M9 which is more warmer. But to my surprise, the IER-Z1R was not capable in producing the frequencies linear. When the sound changed the frequency, it sometimes just disappeared. I assume it dropped in volume below my capability in hearing. The MDR-Z1R performed worse with dropping below hearing but also peaking unpleasant to a point where is painful, also this sound started to sound grainy with the MDR-Z1R.

I did throw the XBA-Z5 into the mix and it also performed surprisingly well, but worse than the M9 and FA9

So in terms of reproducing high frequencies with this specific song, it's like this

IER-M9 > FA9 > XBA-Z5 > IER-Z1R > MDR-Z1R

This is only regarding the very high frequencies in the background during the refrain, this is no statement about which Earphone renders the song best.

So even though the IER-Z1R does have the most forward treble of all these, it seems to have issues with this song which actually surprised me. But I did notice a similar behaviour with ReoNa and the M9 Vs Z1R. So it seems to be consistent and not only related to this single song. On the other hand, I have almost no other songs with such clear very high frequencies.

The IER-M9, IER-Z1R and XBA-Z5 performed the best with memory foam. The FA9 performed best with the Bass silicon tips.
Memory foam ear tips doesn’t match with listening treble frequency details. The foam just cut part of it. Imho it's the option for tws but not for high-level iems, but for sure it's just preferences. I’ve heard all models from this post and for me it looks really strange tbh

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #11,315 of 15,290
image.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #11,317 of 15,290
IMG_20211227_235810.jpg
Cayin N62 R01+Sony ier Z1R+JVC Spiral Dot.
Very good coordination, compared to my other equipment.
I see Anohana I cry…

Remedios’ voice is amazing though!

I really gotta get another Z1R sometime soon. I miss it lots.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #11,320 of 15,290
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #11,322 of 15,290
Anyone has any suggestions for cheap $100-200 2.5mm cable?
I have amazing dunu Blanche for 250$ :) Pairs really good but I've ordered 1.5m craft cable as 1.2m is not enough for my usage

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #11,323 of 15,290
I have amazing dunu Blanche for 250$ :) Pairs really good but I've ordered 1.5m craft cable as 1.2m is not enough for my usage
That’s what I use with them and love it

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #11,324 of 15,290

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back