SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #11,206 of 15,277
7483DD8C-E781-4C15-B3D4-191C5E3B7608.jpeg

Grabbed a used DX300 couple of days ago(around $850). Having WM1A, I can vouch DX300 is better pairing with Z1R. I never thought Z1R can sound even better (immediately noticeable when i first hear it). Its true then, that Z1R scale better with the source.

Now I’m itching to get DX300 MaxTi. But portability wise dx300 is great. Love the big screen, great battery and streaming capabilities.

Congratz! Wonder how much further the Z1R will scale with this monster!
I have the DX300 MaxTi with the Z1R and the paring is fantastic.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #11,207 of 15,277
A few pages ago on this thread I reviewed them all. All I could buy. Wasted tons of money trying so many. In the end, there was no contest that the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal Standard ear tips, sized down, have the most dynamic range, the most balanced sound signature with incredibly detailed treble, incredible staying power, no underwater fishbowl feeling… and above all, surprisingly, were the only tips to make the Z1Rs actually a very comfortable iem with zero fatigue. They are perfect! And transformational. They were the biggest improvement on the headphones besides the tube amp
Agree with the Crystal tips being a wonderful choice.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #11,208 of 15,277
SO my XBA Z5 came today. running both my from Ifi Sig (which kills fyi. Much better than dx300), and the Z1R is defnitely better, but not by much. The z5 is 80% of the Z1R. The Z5 is a bit splashier in the trouble, bass is equally present, but less refined, and detailed are slightly muddier, though still really good. Not sure I will keep Z5 (again), but they are a good 2nd pair. My Xcan arrives today, so maybe that with Z5 will be my gym set up.
I personally found a bigger improvement , esp around soundstage. Z1R needs good source and amp. I upgraded from mojo to hugo2 and it is a killer package. The Z5 also scales well with hugo2 but compared to Z1R sounds smaller, more congested and less instrument placement/separate to my ears. Also less bass quantity and quality. On treble , yeah that BA treble on z5 does punch!

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #11,209 of 15,277
So doing more a/B, the z5 is wider and has more aubbass presence than the z1r. The z1r is more resolving and can scale better with better equipment, but sounds more compact by comparison.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #11,213 of 15,277
I realize this is a strange place to ask, but if anyone is sub'd to this thread that has upgraded *away* from the IER-Z1R, just curious where you landed?

it seems to be difficult to get comprehensive objective reports on IEMs so I'm a little stuck as to where to head next. the qdc Anole VX consistently ranks Top 3 from popular reviewers, the Final A8000 seems to have my preferred tuning right out of the box, and Moondrop seems to literally be redefining price brackets so I'm looking at the Illumination (I was shocked at how good the original Blessing sounded for only $320; hoping the whole lineup scales by price). I don't really want custom because I know it's a matter of time before I 'upgrade' again. Further detail here, if it's at all useful:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recommended-upgrades-from-sony-ier-z1r.960744/

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #11,214 of 15,277
image.jpg
Wiw what a palette of sounds

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #11,215 of 15,277
For anyone having problems with fit, try smaller tips!

I usually use ML or L tips, but I tried the MS stock tips and now the IER-Z1R fits me PERFECTLY. Also, after trying a variety of tips, I have found that I enjoy the OEM tips that come with the IEMs.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #11,216 of 15,277
I realize this is a strange place to ask, but if anyone is sub'd to this thread that has upgraded *away* from the IER-Z1R, just curious where you landed?

it seems to be difficult to get comprehensive objective reports on IEMs so I'm a little stuck as to where to head next. the qdc Anole VX consistently ranks Top 3 from popular reviewers, the Final A8000 seems to have my preferred tuning right out of the box, and Moondrop seems to literally be redefining price brackets so I'm looking at the Illumination (I was shocked at how good the original Blessing sounded for only $320; hoping the whole lineup scales by price). I don't really want custom because I know it's a matter of time before I 'upgrade' again. Further detail here, if it's at all useful:

Hi caustic386,

As with any hobby/interest, trying and finding out new things, regardless of what is better or worse, is part of the journey/life for the enjoyment and experience of living.

For audio gear, “upgrades” are more like sidegrades, with some differences in the way sound is being presented, by some tradeoffs being made in tuning.

And, this will come down to personal preferences and what you are looking for.

-monduvo.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #11,217 of 15,277
SO my XBA Z5 came today. running both my from Ifi Sig (which kills fyi. Much better than dx300), and the Z1R is defnitely better, but not by much. The z5 is 80% of the Z1R. The Z5 is a bit splashier in the trouble, bass is equally present, but less refined, and detailed are slightly muddier, though still really good. Not sure I will keep Z5 (again), but they are a good 2nd pair. My Xcan arrives today, so maybe that with Z5 will be my gym set up.
Am listening to my Campfire Audio Andromeda right now and just started browsing out of boredom, looking to spend some Sats on "something better" again - Z1R came to mind. Click.

Hmm. Z1R less in mind now. Fleetwood Mac still sounding great tho. FM is always a win.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #11,218 of 15,277

In my case one may say I “downgraded” to the IER-Z1R, since I used to own the Empire Ears Odin, Legend X, Mest mk2 and also had auditioned the U12T… however, to me, the IER-Z1R ended up being the best sounding one and I have sold the rest.

Caveat — the IER-Z1R fits me great and I find it very very comfortable. I use stock tips and just insert the IEMs deep and snug.

Sorry, this doesn’t answer your question, but perhaps it helps with the idea that IER-Z1R can be a true end game, if you like the tonality and you find the fit comfortable.

For me that’s the case, and I am feeling happy that I don’t feel the need to chase anything else at the moment.

If you are happy, perhaps there isn’t a « need » to upgrade?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #11,219 of 15,277

If I were to ever downgrade or do a sidegrade, my favorite IEM after the Z1R has to be the Moondrop Variations. The tonality totally fits my need and what I listen to (also quite light and the eargonomics is great for me). The bite on instruments is so nice but it's quite lean and doesn't have much "body" in the midrange. Also, it might be lacking some mid-bass thump (which can be fixed with tip rolling). But at the end of the day, the staging on the Z1R and how relaxed it sounds to me while still being quite vocal forward (and not veiled) makes the Z1R my daily drivers still. The Monarch MK II does look good but I'm waiting for reviewers I trust.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #11,220 of 15,277

Not strange at all in fact I had the same question and hence went for auditioned for top rate iems since im looking for the upgrade and end up writing the review about my experience here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews#review-27159

Anyway. Other options you can do is to ‘upgrade’ the Z1R itself.

Its like modifying your favorite car to your likings. My path, instead of buying other iem, i go crazy on the upgrading the z1r:

1. I bought the dunu blanche cable, not much an upgrade other than convenience and aesthetics.
2. Bought Ibasso DX300 that came with amp11mk2 - immediately noticeable
3. Bought the Amp12 module - also noticeable
4. I bought Cayin C9 to go together with the DX300. Now its like in the Cell final form

But again, its down to what you want and what do you end up liking and settle at least for now before new tech/product coming in.

The final form:
F0374CE1-1E20-41BE-BDC3-593A83AEE3B3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back