SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #11,236 of 15,290
If anyone bought mmcx connectors for Z1r please let me know where I can buy good one.
Local cable crafter said that one from lunashop on AliExpress are pure quality. So I’m looking for the compatible one with high quality.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #11,237 of 15,290
I've been avoiding the Z1R because of their notorious bad fit, however I snagged a pair off of Amazon for Black Friday as there was a great deal. I just received them today and I can excitedly say that they fit PERFECTLY. I actually think the comfort on these are better than the 64 Nios I also have. Now its time to tip roll and compare :)

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #11,238 of 15,290
I've been avoiding the Z1R because of their notorious bad fit, however I snagged a pair off of Amazon for Black Friday as there was a great deal. I just received them today and I can excitedly say that they fit PERFECTLY. I actually think the comfort on these are better than the 64 Nios I also have. Now its time to tip roll and compare :)
Exactly the same situation here, was really put off by the “horrible” fit that I was reading about everywhere, but finally decided to take a leap of faith … and … the IER-Z1R are also (probably) my most comfortable pair of IEMs.

I had a great fit and was happy with the stock Sony hybrid silicone (just find the right size), but recently got the Azla Crystal tips, which to me made them even more comfortable for longer sessions due to better isolation from noise and less need to adjust the IEMs from time to time, with Crystal the IEMs seem to just sit there and not budge at all no matter how long you wear them for and how much you move — still early days for me but I find them supreme as a result.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #11,239 of 15,290
Yeah, while I’m sure there are some people who may have trouble fitting the Z1R, I think this issue is a little overblown.
Now, I'm not going to go for a long run with them, but at my desk or lounging around listening they are perfectly fine.

If you’ve got Final E tips, they are worth a try, I get a good deep fit with those and they sound fantastic

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #11,240 of 15,290
Yeah, while I’m sure there are some people who may have trouble fitting the Z1R, I think this issue is a little overblown.
Now, I'm not going to go for a long run with them, but at my desk or lounging around listening they are perfectly fine.

If you’ve got Final E tips, they are worth a try, I get a good deep fit with those and they sound fantastic
Fully agree - they fit superb for me. I guess if you have big ears the better :) .

Final E tips were the most comfortable for me, though I had recent success with Azla Crystals.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #11,241 of 15,290
Guess I am also part of IER-Z1R family from today’s onwards~

Attachments

• 4FC72F92-6F18-47E9-81BF-ECB643C1887D.jpeg
    4FC72F92-6F18-47E9-81BF-ECB643C1887D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #11,243 of 15,290
Congrats! Are those tips Spiral dots++?
And couldn’t help but notice Monarch Mk2 in your signature.
Would you be able to share some comparison and impressions vs. IER-Z1R?
Yup they are spiral dots, still tip rolling to see what I like best with it :D

From very quick impression of Z1R, It seems to have very sharp treble compared to Monarch Mk2, different flavour compared to Monarch Mk2.
Bass is super fun and thick, the resolution on the bass is amazing, feels like different weight class compared to Monarch in bass region.
Instruments and vocal shines much better in Monarch Mk2, feels like mid centric compared to Z1R.

Overall Z1R compliments my Monarch Mk2 much better than I thought ^__^

Attachments

• 0BA59C57-A160-42C4-9E8D-8DA701BBABBF.jpeg
    0BA59C57-A160-42C4-9E8D-8DA701BBABBF.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 29, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #11,244 of 15,290

From very quick impression of Z1R, It seems to have very sharp treble compared to Monarch Mk2, different flavour compared to Monarch Mk2.
Bass is super fun and thick, the resolution on the bass is amazing, feels like different weight class compared to Monarch in bass region.
Instruments and vocal shines much better in Monarch Mk2, feels like mid centric compared to Z1R.

Interesting. I only ever heard sharp treble from the z1r was when I didn't have the proper fit / shallow fit. I downsized on the tips, and the sharpness disappeared.

Appreciate the comparison!

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #11,245 of 15,290
Interesting. I only ever heard sharp treble from the z1r was when I didn't have the proper fit / shallow fit. I downsized on the tips, and the sharpness disappeared.

Appreciate the comparison!
The metallic sharpness does gets better once Z1R does deeper fit, but as apple can’t be orange, they are quite sharp compared to much tamed treble of Monarch Mk2.

Once you hear the difference, the difference becomes very noticeable on each song.

Though, the best thing I experience with Z1R for the last hour is that Z1R feels like its wrapping me with the music, it’s pretty intense.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #11,246 of 15,290
The metallic sharpness does gets better once Z1R does deeper fit, but as apple can’t be orange, they are quite sharp compared to much tamed treble of Monarch Mk2.

Once you hear the difference, the difference becomes very noticeable on each song.

Though, the best thing I experience with Z1R for the last hour is that Z1R feels like its wrapping me with the music, it’s pretty intense.
Live concert recordings gives me chills! :) Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall and The Eagles Hotel California MTV recording. Cool to meet another Vancouverite on this place👊

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #11,248 of 15,290
I've done the tip rolling for my best 2 IEMs, mostly for moondrop variations but I tried them on Z1R too.

IMG_20211130.png

From left to right:
  • IER-Z1R Stock Triple Comfort
  • IER-Z1R Stock Hybird Silicon
  • Sony EP-EX11 White
  • Sony EP-EX11 Black
  • Final E-Type Violet
  • Final E-Type Clear Red Axis
  • Canalworks Gel Tips
  • Spiral Dots++ (EP-FX10)
  • Moondrop Variations Stock Silicon
  • Moondrop Variations Stock Foam
  • Final E-Type Clear
  • Final E-Type Black
  • Radius Deep Mount
  • Spinfit CP145
  • Spinfit CP155
  • Sednafit Crystal
I can't say which is the best in general since they all have different representation. The final e tips have very strong bass and tamed treble (less tamed with clear version, but still tamed), the ear canal pressure is minimal, I think it's very suitable for long listening sessions. The EP-EX11 white is very very similar to stock hybird but they are not exactly same, if I put stock hybird on one side and EP-EX11 white on other side I can feel the "channal imbalance", yet I can't tell which part is different... The EP-EX11 black have a larger opening compare to the white and stock hybird, the sound presentation is darker (same bass quantity but slightly recessed treble). Canalworks gel tips have stongest bass and the treble is less tamed compare to final e, the ear canal pressure is medium, still very comfort compare to foam tips. Radius deep mount is somehow bass shy on Z1R, I don't know why, they are fine on the variations. Spinfit cp145 is also lack of bass, maybe because I can't get a good seal with it, cp155 works well on the variations but it doesn't work on Z1R since the inner diameter is too large. Spiral dots++ also have a large inner diameter, I can put them on Z1R but I think it may not stay well... The sound of spiral dots++ is similar to stock hybird but a litle bit darker, I don't feel it lack of bass like other review I saw. The sednafit crystal is the brighest one, the ear canal pressure is almost zero, unfortunately my ear can't stay with the LSR material, maybe the sednafit OG will work better. Z1R stock triple is better than most form tips I tried, I can put it in my ear about a hour, after that my ear hurts a lot, it has very stong bass and tamed treble similar to final e tips, myself will choose final e instead for comfortable. Z1R stock silicon will give the most "clear" sound yet enough bass quantity, I think it's the sound the engineer intended, though the treble is more aggressive that I could get tried after long listening.

Note 1: I ask sony support for backup hybird tips, they said it's out of stock and I have to wait a month... btw the shipping fee is higher than the tips

Note 2: Deeper insertion will push the resonance peak to higher frequence that some may feel the "sharpness" improved, you could try to mod the aftermarket tips by cutting the base of the stem (not dome) about 1mm, which will bring the driver near to the eardrum without pushing the shell, do it at your own risk, especially for expensive tips

Note 3: Z1R has a very unique turing that make me feel I'm in a live house, which the academic harman turing one never bring me there (I have variations myself and heard monarch OG in a local shop), there are some interest interview about the design of Z1R that they tune it for realism in particular #1 #2, other interest point is they said burn-in is not recommended because the driver mostly won't change...

Note 4: No tips will fix the "recessed" mids, that's a part of sony house sound because MDR-Z1R, IER-M9 and MDR-Z7M2 also have the dip around 2~3khz, I use PEQ to bring up 2.7khz but I think it's not necessary if you like sony house sound more than harman.
Screenshot.png

Note 5: I don't feel Z1R fits bad, sure it's more relying on the tips to hold, but I appreciate it has a smaller contact area to the ear compare to semi-custom shells, once you found the right tips and position it should be very comfortable.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #11,249 of 15,290
I've done the tip rolling for my best 2 IEMs, mostly for moondrop variations but I tried them on Z1R too.

IMG_20211130.png

From left to right:
  • IER-Z1R Stock Triple Comfort
  • IER-Z1R Stock Hybird Silicon
  • Sony EP-EX11 White
  • Sony EP-EX11 Black
  • Final E-Type Violet
  • Final E-Type Clear Red Axis
  • Canalworks Gel Tips
  • Spiral Dots++ (EP-FX10)
  • Moondrop Variations Stock Silicon
  • Moondrop Variations Stock Foam
  • Final E-Type Clear
  • Final E-Type Black
  • Radius Deep Mount
  • Spinfit CP145
  • Spinfit CP155
  • Sednafit Crystal
I can't say which is the best in general since they all have different representation. The final e tips have very strong bass and tamed treble (less tamed with clear version, but still tamed), the ear canal pressure is minimal, I think it's very suitable for long listening sessions. The EP-EX11 white is very very similar to stock hybird but they are not exactly same, if I put stock hybird on one side and EP-EX11 white on other side I can feel the "channal imbalance", yet I can't tell which part is different... The EP-EX11 black have a larger opening compare to the white and stock hybird, the sound presentation is darker (same bass quantity but slightly recessed treble). Canalworks gel tips have stongest bass and the treble is less tamed compare to final e, the ear canal pressure is medium, still very comfort compare to foam tips. Radius deep mount is somehow bass shy on Z1R, I don't know why, they are fine on the variations. Spinfit cp145 is also lack of bass, maybe because I can't get a good seal with it, cp155 works well on the variations but it doesn't work on Z1R since the inner diameter is too large. Spiral dots++ also have a large inner diameter, I can put them on Z1R but I think it may not stay well... The sound of spiral dots++ is similar to stock hybird but a litle bit darker, I don't feel it lack of bass like other review I saw. The sednafit crystal is the brighest one, the ear canal pressure is almost zero, unfortunately my ear can't stay with the LSR material, maybe the sednafit OG will work better. Z1R stock triple is better than most form tips I tried, I can put it in my ear about a hour, after that my ear hurts a lot, it has very stong bass and tamed treble similar to final e tips, myself will choose final e instead for comfortable. Z1R stock silicon will give the most "clear" sound yet enough bass quantity, I think it's the sound the engineer intended, though the treble is more aggressive that I could get tried after long listening.

Note 1: I ask sony support for backup hybird tips, they said it's out of stock and I have to wait a month... btw the shipping fee is higher than the tips

Note 2: Deeper insertion will push the resonance peak to higher frequence that some may feel the "sharpness" improved, you could try to mod the aftermarket tips by cutting the base of the stem (not dome) about 1mm, which will bring the driver near to the eardrum without pushing the shell, do it at your own risk, especially for expensive tips

Note 3: Z1R has a very unique turing that make me feel I'm in a live house, which the academic harman turing one never bring me there (I have variations myself and heard monarch OG in a local shop), there are some interest interview about the design of Z1R that they tune it for realism in particular #1 #2, other interest point is they said burn-in is not recommended because the driver mostly won't change...

Note 4: No tips will fix the "recessed" mids, that's a part of sony house sound because MDR-Z1R, IER-M9 and MDR-Z7M2 also have the dip around 2~3khz, I use PEQ to bring up 2.7khz but I think it's not necessary if you like sony house sound more than harman.
Screenshot.png

Note 5: I don't feel Z1R fits bad, sure it's more relying on the tips to hold, but I appreciate it has a smaller contact area to the ear compare to semi-custom shells, once you found the right tips and position it should be very comfortable.
If you're looking for more tips, maybe tackle Tanchjim's T-APB tips. The T300T reminds me of a brighter Spiral Dot ++ and the T300B feels like a balanced Final E Type Clear (Similar insertion, slightly wider bore, doesn't recess the treble). I think their downsides are fit issues/ sizing. It doesn't stay properly compared to the ++ / E's. Favorite tips though on the Z1R for me are the ++. To me, it gives the Z1R more lower mids and a better sense of center imaging. T300B is my go-to tip for the Blessing/Dusk/Variation line.

I still want to try out the Radius Deep Mount!!

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #11,250 of 15,290

I think honestly it’s about maybe 20% that have fit issues. But they are vocal about it so it seems like a higher percentage have issues.

They fit perfect for me though are on the heavy side. I know they are there. I didn’t seem to notice a sharp treble but it may depend on your age and believe it or not.......what you are used to. Maybe burn-in may do something? But I feel it’s mental burn in so...in about two days that will go away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back