Recommended upgrades from Sony IER-Z1R?
Nov 21, 2021 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

caustic386

100+ Head-Fier
Been using the IER-Z1R's for quite awhile now, but randomly I had the chance to hear the Blessing2 (original) and I was blown away by how good they were for the price. That got me wondering, what options are there beyond the Sony's now that a few years have gone by since their release? I know around this price point the returns are very minimal, and a lot of people would say it's a matter of preferences vs. outright improvements (and I'd probably agree) but here's a list of things I like and a few I don't:

Like:

DCA lineup (basically all of them as long but need a good amp for my bass habit)
KSE1200 (love them, but I can't maintain a good seal due to the Shure shape)
HD800/650/820 (overpriced but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be)
Denon 9200 (was my fav overear until Stealth came out)
IER-Z1R
Blessing2
LCD-2C
Arya original and Stelath magnet (so far I like original more, not sure why)
Sundara
LCD-X 2021 is OK

Dislikes:

Westone W50, W80v3
MDR-Z1R
Focal Stellia, Clear MG
LCD-XC
Campfire Holocene
Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen
Fostex TH900mk2
Etymtoic ER4XR

Source is my phone attached to either Qudelix or E1da 9038S gen3. Had my eye on the Final A8000 but I'm not sure they'll fit very well; they look similar shape to Shure but less rounded, more angular. I typically need the canal-type to maintain a good seal, just the way my ears are shaped, which is the main reason I landed on Sony but the Blessing2's fit very well.

TL;DR - what's the DCA Stealth of IEMs?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 5
del

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 5
What is the point in buying DCA Stealth( which is meeee - especially for their price IMHO) iem alternatives for qudelix 5k? You won't hear the full potential of your ier-z1r with that source. And I would say that in that case, Moondrop B2 ( I heard Dusk version) is an amazing set of iems for their price. To hear the difference you need a different DAP.
Of course just my personal opinion

i can't make out what you're saying

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 5
If you liked the Blessing 2 I'd take a good look at the Moondrop Variations.
I had the B2 and while the tuning is very good, the bass quality was average and the upper mids & treble often showed a kind of grain that I couldn't stand.
The Variations uses much better drivers, with clearly improved bass and a very smooth midrange, no more graininess!
Tuning wise the midrange/treble is similar to the B2, but sub bass is boosted and mid bass/lower mids is a bit reduced.
In fact that slightly recessed lower midrange reminded me of the Z1R.
The result is an exceptionally clean sounding IEM with very punchy bass. Sometimes a little lean but not overly so.
To me, the Variations is a BIG upgrade over the B2.

Other IEMs that I have not personally heard but might be of interest are the Thieaudio Oracle, Clairvoyance and Monarch, and especially the 64 Audio U12T.
I've had my eyes on the Clairvoyance and the U12T but I am weary of BA timbre...

You might also like the Sony IER-M9, which is very detailed without the typical BA issues of unnaturally fast decay, has a very natural, slightly warm frequency response with good body. But it's a more tame IEM without much rumble and kick in the low frequencies. Nothing like the Z1R even though the FR looks similar. The M9 handily beats the Moondrop Variations in details and naturalness, but the Variations is a great IEM for listening on the go, very comfortable and easy to get a good fit.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Been using the IER-Z1R's for quite awhile now, but randomly I had the chance to hear the Blessing2 (original) and I was blown away by how good they were for the price. That got me wondering, what options are there beyond the Sony's now that a few years have gone by since their release? I know around this price point the returns are very minimal, and a lot of people would say it's a matter of preferences vs. outright improvements (and I'd probably agree) but here's a list of things I like and a few I don't:

Like:

DCA lineup (basically all of them as long but need a good amp for my bass habit)
KSE1200 (love them, but I can't maintain a good seal due to the Shure shape)
HD800/650/820 (overpriced but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be)
Denon 9200 (was my fav overear until Stealth came out)
IER-Z1R
Blessing2
LCD-2C
Arya original and Stelath magnet (so far I like original more, not sure why)
Sundara
LCD-X 2021 is OK

Dislikes:

Westone W50, W80v3
MDR-Z1R
Focal Stellia, Clear MG
LCD-XC
Campfire Holocene
Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen
Fostex TH900mk2
Etymtoic ER4XR

Source is my phone attached to either Qudelix or E1da 9038S gen3. Had my eye on the Final A8000 but I'm not sure they'll fit very well; they look similar shape to Shure but less rounded, more angular. I typically need the canal-type to maintain a good seal, just the way my ears are shaped, which is the main reason I landed on Sony but the Blessing2's fit very well.

TL;DR - what's the DCA Stealth of IEMs?
You can get custom tips fore the kse1200 through sensaphonic and their approved audiologists

Users who are viewing this thread

Back