SONY IER-Z1R
May 25, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #10,486 of 15,290
One of my Z5s died and essentially it’s a writeoff. Literally only changed the cable once - moving from 3.5 to 4.4. Such a shame to think we’re considering a Sony IEM as a product that may be disposable within 4-5 years. We buy hoping they can continue (within reason) for much longer.
Have you tried the fix using some fine tip tweezers to squeeze the inner connector part together? It worked for both my N3 and Z5 although I was only having cut outs not completely dead, worth a try.

May 26, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #10,487 of 15,290
This is a large thread, so I'm not sure whether anyone else has the same experience as me. But I'll document my experience as a data point for future (and current) owners. In short, my romance with the IER-Z1R has ended.

I'm one of the earliest adopters of the Z1R, ordering it as soon as it became available in my country. I've been very careful with it and have enjoyed 2 years with them, safely securing its place among the finest hybrids in my collection. In June 2020 the unimaginable happened, sound began cutting in and out of my right earpiece. Sounds like the dreaded MMCX connector issue. I've changed cables with the Z1R less than 5 times prior (mostly stuck with stock 4.4mm cable). Being out of warranty, I was prepared to pay for repairs.

Sony Malaysia said they didn't have the tools to open up the Z1R. So I asked the dealer to help out by sending the Z1R back to Sony Japan. After a few months, I received the same answer. They didn't have the tools to open and fix the Z1R either. Sony Japan!! The dealer implied that they do a one-for-one exchange if it was within warranty, so I was SOL.

After 9 months in limbo, I agreed to have the Z1R sent to a local DIYer and IEM maker to fix it in March. He managed to open it up and change the MMCX connector but in doing so, created a hairline crack across the faceplate diameter. I don't blame him, since I was sitting on a defective IEM because Sony Malaysia and Japan gave me the shaft. It sounds back to normal now, but damn, was that traumatic.

So in conclusion, Sony made the Z1R with no intention of after-sales repairs, and I'll stick with this assumption until I hear otherwise.

Z1R.jpeg
Wow, that’s disappointing to hear and quite concerning. Thanks for sharing this info.

My IER-Z1R is 2.5 years old and thankfully it’s still going strong, but I hoped Sony would support/repair it if any issues arise. Seems like that might not be the case 😒

May 26, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #10,488 of 15,290
Wow, that’s disappointing to hear and quite concerning. Thanks for sharing this info.

My IER-Z1R is 2.5 years old and thankfully it’s still going strong, but I hoped Sony would support/repair it if any issues arise. Seems like that might not be the case 😒
Mine are also 2 years old. Doinf fine. I have not changed the cable since say 1

May 26, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #10,489 of 15,290
This is a large thread, so I'm not sure whether anyone else has the same experience as me. But I'll document my experience as a data point for future (and current) owners. In short, my romance with the IER-Z1R has ended.

I'm one of the earliest adopters of the Z1R, ordering it as soon as it became available in my country. I've been very careful with it and have enjoyed 2 years with them, safely securing its place among the finest hybrids in my collection. In June 2020 the unimaginable happened, sound began cutting in and out of my right earpiece. Sounds like the dreaded MMCX connector issue. I've changed cables with the Z1R less than 5 times prior (mostly stuck with stock 4.4mm cable). Being out of warranty, I was prepared to pay for repairs.

Sony Malaysia said they didn't have the tools to open up the Z1R. So I asked the dealer to help out by sending the Z1R back to Sony Japan. After a few months, I received the same answer. They didn't have the tools to open and fix the Z1R either. Sony Japan!! The dealer implied that they do a one-for-one exchange if it was within warranty, so I was SOL.

After 9 months in limbo, I agreed to have the Z1R sent to a local DIYer and IEM maker to fix it in March. He managed to open it up and change the MMCX connector but in doing so, created a hairline crack across the faceplate diameter. I don't blame him, since I was sitting on a defective IEM because Sony Malaysia and Japan gave me the shaft. It sounds back to normal now, but damn, was that traumatic.

So in conclusion, Sony made the Z1R with no intention of after-sales repairs, and I'll stick with this assumption until I hear otherwise.

Z1R.jpeg

That is honestly quite shocking. I had once an issue with a dunu iem (no sound on one earpiece) and I just sent it to China and paid for the shipping back and forth. It was also out of warranty but they just fixed it. I would expect that for a high end product like the ier z1r it would def. be possible to get it repaired by the manufacturer even when warranty period has expired. Of course one would be ready to pay for that. Hope you can still enjoy the sound even though there is the crack...

The same has been reported by some about the MDR-Z1R that Sony don’t consider it a repairable product

I find it very disappointing that a big company selling high end gear at the prices they do fail to offer repair or even replacement parts.
I like their products and will probably continue to buy in the future but these posts about the lack of support out of warranty knocks my confidence and respect of the brand as I can only afford second hand. I only use my gear at home and take great care but wear and tear does happen - the mmcx/cable fault is another quality issue it seems? I've only recently purchased mine and was really hoping to retire on these.

I have purchased several FiiO products over the years and followed the threads and I am continually impressed with how someone from the company is following the threads and offering support in the form of suggestions or requesting feedback to improve the product, or when a repair or replacement is needed they offer direct support if the person is having issues with the store that sold it. I have seen posts where they have repaired out of warranty only charging shipping.
At the very least they could offer some items like replacement pads, cables etc, but then they'd charge through the roof I imagine.

When I was dealing with the defective pair, I had to call to setup a repair. Sony’s authorized repair center for the entire United States said the Z1R are not reparable and are a “replace” item per Sony.

So, it’s true. Sony considers your $2000 IEMs disposable. It’s a travesty.

May 26, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #10,490 of 15,290
I keep mine in a large box and only take them out to use them at home. I changed cables maybe three times? Still works great, serial #124. Purchased middle of February 2019.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #10,491 of 15,290
I keep mine in a large box and only take them out to use them at home. I changed cables maybe three times? Still works great, serial #124. Purchased March 2018.
How did you manage that since they were not introduced until August 2018 ?

May 26, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #10,492 of 15,290
How did you manage that since they were not introduced until August 2018 ?
Yes, haha February 2019. Two weeks after released. I corrected it.

They were released in different parts of the world at different times. 1st Japan in small amount, then China.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #10,495 of 15,290
Stradivarius cello with good bass
image.jpg

May 26, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #10,496 of 15,290
Got mine May 2019 and only because the seller at that point offered get it now but dont pay until after 12 months by which time I had the money

May 26, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #10,497 of 15,290
I just got the custom ear tips from ADV. The Eartune Fidelity.

https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/custom-fit/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips

I like them. They definitely fit better than before and feel like custom IEMs with the one difference that they are sticking pretty far out of my ears. My custom Legend X fit flush against my ear with the drivers completely in my ears. Since they are outside of the ear, I think that people who have trouble with fit may really benefit from these custom tips.

The process was very easy. Get impressions from an audiologist or go into their lab in Santa Cruz and within about 4-6 weeks they send them to you in the mail. All you do is insert the monitor into the tip and put them into your ears like customs. If you are not careful when removing them, the custom tip can remain in your ear and you need to pull it out and reattach it to the monitor. Since they have the Sony IER-Z1R as a standard mold, you don't need to send them your IEMs. If you have an IEM that they don't currently support, you can take a picture of them and they will let you know if they can do it. If they can, they will ask you to send them your monitors while they do it. Now that I have done it with them with the Z1Rs, I might try it with other IEMs as I am liking the custom fit.

I did not get a chance to A/B test the custom tips with the Azla tips I normally use. I will try that later. So I am not sure if the sound is altered. The sounded good, but I think the sound did change a bit. But my audio memory isn't that precise so I'll need to do the test later. The best part of these custom tips is that I can take them off at any time and convert them back to universals.

Attachments

• Sony adv 1.jpg
    Sony adv 1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sony adv 2.jpg
    Sony adv 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0
May 26, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #10,498 of 15,290
I keep mine in a large box and only take them out to use them at home. I changed cables maybe three times? Still works great, serial #124. Purchased middle of February 2019.
Wow what a small world, I have serial # 123 - Hello neighbor :)

I believe they're now at 10K+

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #10,500 of 15,290
I just got the custom ear tips from ADV. The Eartune Fidelity.

https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/custom-fit/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips

I like them. They definitely fit better than before and feel like custom IEMs with the one difference that they are sticking pretty far out of my ears. My custom Legend X fit flush against my ear with the drivers completely in my ears. Since they are outside of the ear, I think that people who have trouble with fit may really benefit from these custom tips.

The process was very easy. Get impressions from an audiologist or go into their lab in Santa Cruz and within about 4-6 weeks they send them to you in the mail. All you do is insert the monitor into the tip and put them into your ears like customs. If you are not careful when removing them, the custom tip can remain in your ear and you need to pull it out and reattach it to the monitor. Since they have the Sony IER-Z1R as a standard mold, you don't need to send them your IEMs. If you have an IEM that they don't currently support, you can take a picture of them and they will let you know if they can do it. If they can, they will ask you to send them your monitors while they do it. Now that I have done it with them with the Z1Rs, I might try it with other IEMs as I am liking the custom fit.

I did not get a chance to A/B test the custom tips with the Azla tips I normally use. I will try that later. So I am not sure if the sound is altered. The sounded good, but I think the sound did change a bit. But my audio memory isn't that precise so I'll need to do the test later. The best part of these custom tips is that I can take them off at any time and convert them back to universals.

Thank you for posting this, I logged on to literally ask this. The picture they used misled me in to thinking it was going to be a very long extension, thank you for attaching images, I will definitely get a pair soon.

I also kinda want to get upgrade cables for my Z1R, but reading the earlier comments about sony repairs leave me abit worried, its all because of the nature of MMCX right? I feel like I should never remove the stock cables lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back