SONY IER-Z1R
May 31, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #10,502 of 15,280
Customs form a great seal with your ears no doubt, but in my experience would alter the sound quite a lot as the path directing sound into the ear canal is tweaked and the invariably longer path means diminished trebles, which is where a large part of Z1R's magic lies.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #10,503 of 15,280
Customs form a great seal with your ears no doubt, but in my experience would alter the sound quite a lot as the path directing sound into the ear canal is tweaked and the invariably longer path means diminished trebles, which is where a large part of Z1R's magic lies.

good point. I remember years ago going that route with some shure 530’s I think they were. Didn’t sound the same with the custom ear tips.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #10,504 of 15,280
good point. I remember years ago going that route with some shure 530’s I think they were. Didn’t sound the same with the custom ear tips.
I remember with my 530s using the foam tips for years. Then decided to try standard silicon and realised how much the foam muffled the sound. One reason why I'm never convinced about customs - unless the IEM is designed to be custom, too much of a potential downside.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #10,505 of 15,280
When using a Z7M2 with many dsd, the WM1A is clearly falling short of power .. The Z7M2 and even the IER-Z1R can still be improved with some EQ to become less muddy with clearer distinguishable impacts in low frequencies (after EQ).
I wouldn't use any dap without EQ .. luckily Sony is providing one PEQ with 3 memories .. could be 2 more and it would be perfect for me.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #10,506 of 15,280
Does anyone have a picture with out the foam in the nozzles? There’s been a few times I’ve cleaned and tried to fix the foam inside when it has went too inside and I’ve felt something in there when I fished it out with an iem cleaning tool end. I’m afraid that I probably felt the treble driver. They sound fine to me

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #10,507 of 15,280
Does anyone have a picture with out the foam in the nozzles? There’s been a few times I’ve cleaned and tried to fix the foam inside when it has went too inside and I’ve felt something in there when I fished it out with an iem cleaning tool end. I’m afraid that I probably felt the treble driver. They sound fine to me
How did you fish it out? I’m afraid to mess with mine. I pushed them in being careless. They sound the same so I have been afraid to mess with them

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #10,508 of 15,280
How did you fish it out? I’m afraid to mess with mine. I pushed them in being careless. They sound the same so I have been afraid to mess with them
It was using the little loop end from those iem cleaning tools with an end brush. I’m just being paranoid I don’t think it was long enough to reach the driver anyways.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #10,509 of 15,280
The foam is supposed to be glued in place. @Whitigir experimented with removing it and replacing it with something with different density

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #10,511 of 15,280
The foam is supposed to be a bit inside? I wasn’t trying to remove it, just bring back up how it was. Was also cleaning some wax inside.
Mine sits a little belowe the lip of the nozzle

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #10,513 of 15,280
That foam is actually glued in, and shouldn't be something you can remove easily. I did remove mine and replaced it with a different foam. I can actually change the bass response based on the density of the foam and how far down the nozzle I push the foam. I wouldn't recommend removing it. These are pretty much unlistenable without the foam. However, after experimenting I found by accident the cleaning foam that comes with Away suitcases to produce the best sound. Thus, if you've already damaged the original foam you can find solace in the fact that you can arguably eke out a slightly cleaner and detailed sound with the right foam. However, I would avoid tampering with it if I could.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #10,515 of 15,280
Has anyone created a little spreadsheet yet for aftermarket tips and how they affect the Z1R sound? I know a bunch of the names liked here in the group but don't have a sense yet on how to prioritise which tips to try first ... thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back