SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 13, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #9,886 of 15,437
I've got the A55 and a hardware modded 1Z and while tha A55 with MrWalkman fw really is very good, the 1Z with MrWalkman fw is another level in every aspect, but value for money the A55 clearly is the winner by a large margin and I could easily manage with the A55 and Blon BL01 if funds were tight and still very much enjoy my music
thank you. I can't wait to get my hand on the ZX300 then. Although it's not as high end like everyone here but perhaps someday I can go there :)

P/s: do you recommend playing with stock first or go straight to the custom? and which one is best for Z1R (if there's such thing)?

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #9,887 of 15,437
Asking for honest answer, I'm planning to get a ZX300 from a local dealer (around $300) and I just checked the Mr.Walkman firmware thread. I saw you guys over there.

What I'm curious about is that, given the improvement from the firmware, what are the advantages of buying the higher end models instead of those A30, A40, A50? Most of the firmware seem to try to emulate DMP-Z1, won't the emulation sounds somewhat similar on A40 vs ZX300/ WM1A/WM1Z?

I'm mostly asking about the synergy with IER-Z1R (not counting the effect of the higher power from 4.4mm). If you can give some more personal insight, even better.

Thank you :)
I have tried the ZX300 with out the IER-Z1R or any aftermarket firmware BUT I would not think the combo will be correct. I would get a 1A most definitely.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #9,888 of 15,437
I have tried the ZX300 with out the IER-Z1R or any aftermarket firmware BUT I would not think the combo will be correct. I would get a 1A most definitely.
Unfortunately, ZX300 is all I can afford at the moment. I'm hoping to upgrade in a few months, but I really want to try it out first before anything.

That aside, any recommend settings to get the most out of Z1R? on stock FW I mean.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #9,889 of 15,437
Unfortunately, ZX300 is all I can afford at the moment. I'm hoping to upgrade in a few months, but I really want to try it out first before anything.

That aside, any recommend settings to get the most out of Z1R? on stock FW I mean.
Ahh, yes I re-read your post. My apologies.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #9,890 of 15,437
Can anyone recommend me a >500$ balanced dac amp combo to hook up with my z1r? Currently looking at the drop thx aaa 789 or monolith by monoprice dac amp. I have it setup to qudelix 5k with balanced silver cable but the qudelix cant drive this to its full potential. Im thinking if i can get it hooked up to a balanced dac amp with 4.4mm pure silver cable like the post above... well that would just probably sound just perfect to me.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #9,891 of 15,437
thank you. I can't wait to get my hand on the ZX300 then. Although it's not as high end like everyone here but perhaps someday I can go there :)

P/s: do you recommend playing with stock first or go straight to the custom? and which one is best for Z1R (if there's such thing)?
I would do the burn in with stock and get a feeling for the base sound of the unit before playing with the modded fw to properly understand the differences. Which will be best is up to your ears

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #9,892 of 15,437
Can anyone recommend me a >500$ balanced dac amp combo to hook up with my z1r? Currently looking at the drop thx aaa 789 or monolith by monoprice dac amp. I have it setup to qudelix 5k with balanced silver cable but the qudelix cant drive this to its full potential. Im thinking if i can get it hooked up to a balanced dac amp with 4.4mm pure silver cable like the post above... well that would just probably sound just perfect to me.
On my desk, I hook up the Z1R with the THX 789 with the Topping E30. Honestly to my ears, it does a pretty decent job for the price. But on a more serious listen. I hook up my DP-X1 line-out to the 789. I usually like to listen to a neutral source and let the IEM handle everything else. When I test IEMs I don’t want my source to colour the sound. But for musical enjoyment... now that’s a different story. Lol

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #9,893 of 15,437
Would anyone be willing to swap M7s for Z1Rs for a week to compare? I’m looking to buy a pair of Z1Rs but wanted to know if there may be a fit for a partial trade.

Im not sure of the fit.

I’m aware of the value difference and would make sure we’re all friends at the end.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #9,895 of 15,437
Z1R is absolutely wonderful. The only issues I have with it are the fit (its too large for me) and its metal, which isn't good since I live in a cold climate.
you had it long? I found right one dug into rear of my ear but I sized up to bigger longer tips (ML sony foam ones) and it is realy secure ..you have to really wedge it in the ear canal, even pulling down on your earlobe to make room but its immediately comfortable.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #9,897 of 15,437
I demoed it for a few days, but even with shoving it as deep as I physically could, it wouldn't fit well and it would be painful after 30 minutes. My ears just weren't blessed.

Hmm OK did you definitely use a big enough tip? It was kinda hard to get in as I had said...also you can try rotating the body of iem away from the rear of the ear when it is in the ear. As long as the tip is big enough it shouldn't rotate backwards

But i guess all of this is too late as you sent them back?

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #9,898 of 15,437
I
Hmm OK did you definitely use a big enough tip? It was kinda hard to get in as I had said...also you can try rotating the body of iem away from the rear of the ear when it is in the ear. As long as the tip is big enough it shouldn't rotate backwards

But i guess all of this is too late as you sent them back?
I demoed them in Tokyo and Seoul. I tried S, M, and L tips and nothing fit very well that didn't cause me to hurt after 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back