SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #8,491 of 15,276
I'm getting into mad-scientist territory with as much tinkering as I've done with different setups but this combo with a Whiplash TWAu wire sounds phenomenal as it seems to extend the "holographic" characteristics of the Z1Rs.

z1rcabled.jpg

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #8,492 of 15,276
I'm getting into mad-scientist territory with as much tinkering as I've done with different setups but this combo with a Whiplash TWAu wire sounds phenomenal as it seems to extend the "holographic" characteristics of the Z1Rs.

z1rcabled.jpg

Good old whiplash!

Sadly there are no longer able to buy.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #8,493 of 15,276
I ask, "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!". And you say, "It’s possible English isn’t your first language, but the way you phrased it doesn’t clearly come across as a question: Is Sony launching a new flagship IEM in the coming months?” That’s a clear question." Sure thing. Or, it's possible somebody is looking out for me.

It is the use of ! after the ? that causes the confusion. Use if the exclamation mark usually indicates an outburst and is almost equal to writing in all caps to indicate shouting.

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #8,494 of 15,276
It is the use of ! after the ? that causes the confusion. Use if the exclamation mark usually indicates an outburst and is almost equal to writing in all caps to indicate shouting.
Also not using the IS, as well the exclamation mark.
Is sony releasing / would/will sony release .... a new flagship IEM in the (up)coming/next months?

Would be better phrased

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #8,495 of 15,276

"<a few words>?" = a plain question.
"<a few words>?!" = a plain question about something one is a bit excited about or surprised by.
"<many many many many many many many words>?!" = outburst.
"<MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY WORDS>??!!" = outburst/SHOUTING.

My one-sentence post, "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!" was neither an outburst nor does it amount to shouting.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #8,497 of 15,276
1. I wouldn't call it 'random':

Query was genuine - I noticed someone encouraging/discouraging a potential ToTL IEM purchase decision of someone else's on another thread with "....unless Sony released a new flagship IEM in the months ahead this year." And I wanted to make sure I could ascertain the possibility/impossibility on IER Z1R official thread before taking my own purchase decisions this month.

2. I wouldn't call it random 'outburst':

My query consisted of just a single and straight and short sentence with less than 10 words: "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!"

Thank you.
Sounds pretty random tbh.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #8,499 of 15,276
1. I wouldn't call it 'random':

Query was genuine - I noticed someone encouraging/discouraging a potential ToTL IEM purchase decision of someone else's on another thread with "....unless Sony released a new flagship IEM in the months ahead this year." And I wanted to make sure I could ascertain the possibility/impossibility on IER Z1R official thread before taking my own purchase decisions this month.

2. I wouldn't call it random 'outburst':

My query consisted of just a single and straight and short sentence with less than 10 words: "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!"

Thank you.

It sounded like an outburst to a native English speaking person (me) so maybe you should be the one checking yourself. As many have pointed out, a simple inclusion of the word ‘is’ at the beginning of such a statement alongside better implementation of exclamation marks would have made your intentions a little clearer... just something to think about for future reference.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #8,501 of 15,276
My usage case is more towards film OSTs/country/folk/blues/pop at 60dB-75dB listening levels. Was hoping for an organic sound, decently defined dynamic driver bass and lifelike imaging. Z1R looks promising from whatever few reviews I have read so far.

For me the Z1R is a very capable all-rounder, and the genres you mentioned will definitely be suitable for Z1R. The bass is the best DD implementation I’ve heard so far. The DD tweeter is amazing as well, especially when driven by a high powered source (definitely not harsh and it extends forever). I‘m using an 8x21 AWG copper silver fusion cable, and it really gives the lower mids a lot more presence, hence a much fuller sound (although the soundstage is a tad narrower). Truly a masterpiece by Sony.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #8,502 of 15,276
It sounded like an outburst to a native English speaking person (me) so maybe you should be the one checking yourself. As many have pointed out, a simple inclusion of the word ‘is’ at the beginning of such an outburst would have made your intentions a little clearer... just something to think about in future.

You are saying "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!" sounds like 'an outburst' to you; and you are recommending adding an "Is" as in "Is Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?" You do realize there are thousands of users who read this thread and some of whom could be from your own neighbourhood? Just something to think about in future.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #8,503 of 15,276
For me the Z1R is a very capable all-rounder, and the genres you mentioned will definitely be suitable for Z1R. The bass is the best DD implementation I’ve heard so far. The DD tweeter is very amazing as well, especially when driven by a high powered source (definitely not harsh and it extends forever). I‘m using an 8x21 AWG copper silver fusion cable, and it really gives the lower mids a lot more presence, hence a much fuller sound (although the soundstage is a tad narrower). Truly a masterpiece by Sony.

Thank you. This is helpful. My only fear is concerning the nozzle and the fit from the pics and reviews I came across. SpinFit CP100 (medium) helped with other IEMs in the past. Would these fit Z1R nozzle radius well, by any chance? Or could someone suggest any other brand/make tips?

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #8,504 of 15,276
Thank you. This is helpful. My only fear is concerning the nozzle and the fit from the pics and reviews I came across. SpinFit CP100 (medium) helped with other IEMs in the past. Would these fit Z1R nozzle radius well, by any chance? Or could someone suggest any other brand/make tips?

I’m only using the stock hybrid tips and have never tried other tips. They fit well (L size). I did have to do some trial and error with all the stock tips though and have finally settled on the L hybrid. For me shallower insertion provides the best sound, while others may find deeper insertion is better.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #8,505 of 15,276
I’m only using the stock hybrid tips and have never tried other tips. They fit well (L size). I did have to do some trial and error with all the stock tips though and have finally settled on the L hybrid. For me shallower insertion provides the best sound, while others may find deeper insertion is better.

Thank you. I shall hope the included tips would work for me too. I can always try third party ones, if they don't. Tips are, fortunately, one thing that doesn't cost much in our line of hobby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back