SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #7,612 of 15,276
I’m listening to amazon HD now via NWZX507 on MDR and I gotta say I think it sounds better on the IER. I mean sounds great but more sluggish

I enjoy the IER so much I sold my MDR. MDR offered me no advantages sound wise and was hot and bulky to wear. IER has better soundstage and better sound overall IMO so you are not alone :)

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #7,614 of 15,276
I enjoy the IER so much I sold my MDR. MDR offered me no advantages sound wise and was hot and bulky to wear. IER has better soundstage and better sound overall IMO so you are not alone :)
Yeah, I still own the MDR, but I'm not even sure why, as I find the IER better in pretty much every respect. I've never been a big fan of the MDR though; there are many better headphones in its price bracket IMO, whereas the IER is just stellar.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #7,615 of 15,276
I've never been a big fan of the MDR though; there are many better headphones in its price bracket IMO.
Can you name a few?

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #7,616 of 15,276
Can you name a few?

https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Sort by price and take a pick. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, Focal Clear/Elear, Pioneer SE-Master1, Technics EAH-T700, even the still notoriously bass-shy Sennheiser HD800S, heck, a couple of frickin' Audezes even. (Those are just the more expensive ones I've personally heard and would probably prefer in the long run, but really, I think you could go down way more price-wise and still find some worthy contenders. If the Meze 99 Classics didn't have that resonating cable and headband for example ... Build quality on the Sony is good, I'll give it that.)
Audio Technica, Denon/Fostex, Grado, Stax, ZMF and others also might have something on offer that will suit your needs. It's all subjective anyway, innit?

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #7,617 of 15,276
Can you name a few?
I recently tested the Z1R and Z7M2 MDR sets and the guitar strings and the enclosed clamp force of the sets gave me a headache along with a stiff neck. Didn’t think the clamp force could provide so much pressure to the middle of my head. Wow @_@

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #7,618 of 15,276
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Sort by price and take a pick. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, Focal Clear/Elear, Pioneer SE-Master1, Technics EAH-T700, even the still notoriously bass-shy Sennheiser HD800S, heck, a couple of frickin' Audezes even. (Those are just the more expensive ones I've personally heard and would probably prefer in the long run, but really, I think you could go down way more price-wise and still find some worthy contenders. If the Meze 99 Classics didn't have that resonating cable and headband for example ... Build quality on the Sony is good, I'll give it that.)
Audio Technica, Denon/Fostex, Grado, Stax, ZMF and others also might have something on offer that will suit your needs. It's all subjective anyway, innit?
I remember a few months ago I went to my local hifi showroom to try a few over-ears. After quite some online research I had narrowed it down to 3 headphones to try:
- Focal Clear
- Arya
- LCD-X

The Clear had the highest potential (I thought) so it went first. As soon as I put it on and hit play I thought it was hot garbage. Really didn't like it. I only gave it like 2-3 minutes before I moved on to the other 2. The LCD-X was a bit too dark, but the Arya I liked quite a bit. So yeah, it's quite subjective since many people seem to love the Clear. On the other hand, I also didn't like the MDR when I first got it and if I was to try in a shop (rather than having it at home for 30 days) then I doubt it would have gotten more than 5 minutes also.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #7,619 of 15,276
I'd really appreciate some recommendations for DACs (stationary or portable) with a 4.4mm balanced input to use with these IEMs and do them justice. I only own a PHA-3 which uses two 3.5mm connectors for balanced audio, so I wouldn't be able to get balanced audio from the Z1Rs. I know there's Sony's TA, but ideally I'd use something less pricey after splurging on the Z1Rs. Also I don't really need a DAP, so stuff like Walkmans doesn't work for me, as all my music listening is at home.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #7,620 of 15,276
I'd really appreciate some recommendations for DACs (stationary or portable) with a 4.4mm balanced input to use with these IEMs and do them justice. I only own a PHA-3 which uses two 3.5mm connectors for balanced audio, so I wouldn't be able to get balanced audio from the Z1Rs. I know there's Sony's TA, but ideally I'd use something less pricey after splurging on the Z1Rs. Also I don't really need a DAP, so stuff like Walkmans doesn't work for me, as all my music listening is at home.

I asssume you mean with 4.4 output ?

Sony PHA-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back