SONY IER-Z1R
May 31, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #7,577 of 15,280
+ @RandySchweller
Only thing i can think of to explain what is perhaps atypical in my impressions is perhaps related to the tuning switches (and of course my desired tonality) - most people I have spoken with about this leave the tuning switches off, whereas most of my listening was done with some combo of the switches on. I generally found that - with all the switches off - the VX was quite capable but unremarkable/boring in tonality. So, i felt the need to try and find a combo of the switches turned on to get to something more to my taste...and in doing so, I could get some aspect to improve, but at the detriment of some other aspect. Could never find the “Goldilocks” combo.
Was your listening primarily with the switches off?
I alternated between switches off (000) and the mid switch on (010).

May 31, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #7,578 of 15,280
Is there a general consensus on the best stock tip?
Nope. It honestly varies, hence all the tips they have. Really gotta try all of them out as it’s a trial and error experience

May 31, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #7,579 of 15,280
+ @RandySchweller
Only thing i can think of to explain what is perhaps atypical in my impressions is perhaps related to the tuning switches (and of course my desired tonality) - most people I have spoken with about this leave the tuning switches off, whereas most of my listening was done with some combo of the switches on. I generally found that - with all the switches off - the VX was quite capable but unremarkable/boring in tonality. So, i felt the need to try and find a combo of the switches turned on to get to something more to my taste...and in doing so, I could get some aspect to improve, but at the detriment of some other aspect. Could never find the “Goldilocks” combo.
Was your listening primarily with the switches off?

I listen with all switches off. The bass switch made the bass too bloated. Mids are already forward enough for me with mids switch off. The treble switch made the 7-9k spike harsh for me (when it's not harsh with the treble switch off). All three switches on could be considered "fun mode". But really all combos of switches negatively impacted technicalities which could explain your experience. Pretty much all reviewers and laypersons agree that all switches off was the ideal.

But I have definitely heard it said that the VX sounds "boring". That's just subjective tonality preference, I suppose. I can see how the U12t would sound more "fun" esp. because it has more sub bass.

Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews (HawaiiBadBoy) on YouTube says the Anole VX is "boring" for example. But then I question some of his views because he ranks the BLON BL03 as S= and the Anole VX at A+. I'm sorry but the Blon is not better than the VX. On the other hand he rates the Z1R highest so I can get on board with that.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #7,580 of 15,280
I listen with all switches off. The bass switch made the bass too bloated. Mids are already forward enough for me with mids switch off. The treble switch made the 7-9k spike harsh for me (when it's not harsh with the treble switch off). All three switches on could be considered "fun mode". But really all combos of switches negatively impacted technicalities which could explain your experience. Pretty much all reviewers and laypersons agree that all switches off was the ideal.

But I have definitely heard it said that the VX sounds "boring". That's just subjective tonality preference, I suppose. I can see how the U12t would sound more "fun" esp. because it has more sub bass.

Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews (HawaiiBadBoy) on YouTube says the Anole VX is "boring" for example. But then I question some of his views because he ranks the BLON BL03 as S= and the Anole VX at A+. I'm sorry but the Blon is not better than the VX. On the other hand he rates the Z1R highest so I can get on board with that.

The technical beasts like the Blessing2 and Anole VX are kind of boring.

But that is compared to fun beasts like ier-z1r.

They don't have that lower mids note thickness. And the appropriately slow decay.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #7,581 of 15,280
The technical beasts like the Blessing2 and Anole VX are kind of boring.

But that is compared to fun beasts like ier-z1r.

They don't have that lower mids note thickness. And the appropriately slow decay.

Are you suggesting that the Z1R has thicker lower mids than the VX? The Z1R, for all its brilliance, definitely has relatively thin lower mids.

May 31, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #7,582 of 15,280
Are you suggesting that the Z1R has thicker lower mids than the VX? The Z1R, for all its brilliance, definitely has relatively thin lower mids.

Then I must be subjectively enjoying the decay then. I had a feeling I might have been wrong there, so I added that decay remark as well.

May 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #7,583 of 15,280

Yep, all makes sense to me! By and large matches my experience with them...

May 31, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #7,584 of 15,280

The Anole VX isn’t boring if you listen to interesting music :wink:

I love the VX, especially for electronic music because of the insane detail retrieval and separation. But it still falls short of the Z1R for me. The dynamic driver texture in both the bass and treble on Z1R simply can’t be replicated by the VX’s BA setup.

I’ve got an ex-demo unit u12t on the way so I’ll be able to share some comparisons soon :)

May 31, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #7,585 of 15,280
The Anole VX isn’t boring if you listen to interesting music :wink:

I love the VX, especially for electronic music because of the insane detail retrieval and separation. But it still falls short of the Z1R for me. The dynamic driver texture in both the bass and treble on Z1R simply can’t be replicated by the VX’s BA setup.

I’ve got an ex-demo unit u12t on the way so I’ll be able to share some comparisons soon :)
I'll be very interested to read your impressions of the VX vs U12t.
I think we listen to similar genres...and I found the VX boring, especially vs the U12t.
Looking forward to your thoughts (I think I've now got you queued up - VX vs. U12t and LX vs LX SE) :) haha!

Edit - "boring" without any of the tuning switches on. As I said previously, I just couldn't get the right combo of tuning switches on/off to best the U12t

May 31, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #7,586 of 15,280
I'll be very interested to read your impressions of the VX vs U12t.
I think we listen to similar genres...and I found the VX boring, especially vs the U12t.
Looking forward to your thoughts (I think I've now got you queued up - VX vs. U12t and LX vs LX SE) :) haha!

Edit - "boring" without any of the tuning switches on. As I said previously, I just couldn't get the right combo of tuning switches on/off to best the U12t

The u12t sounds like an incredible IEM. Looking forward to hearing it :)

May 31, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #7,588 of 15,280
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #7,590 of 15,280
#Aliexpress C$ 179.65 | GUcraftsman 8-core Silver for SONY IER-M7 IER-M9 IER-Z1R headphones 2.5mm 4.4mm balanced upgrade cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6RfLgJ

Any thoughts on this cable?
There's a thread in the cables forum dedicated to chi-fi cables. @hakuzen has spent a lot of time cataloging many of the cables available on Aliexpress. Have a look there and search for GUcraftsman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back