SONY IER-Z1R
May 22, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #7,471 of 15,280
The tubes degrading and becoming sticky is exactly what happened to mine. I never used any cleaning products on them.
I emailed Sony and they sent me new cables (didn't even ask for photos let alone for me to return the originals), but I guess the same thing will happen again in time.

Edit: Just thought about how long I've had the new cables and actually I think I have around the same time on the new 4.4 compared to the old and it is holding up much better and not sticky at all yet.
I remember you mentioning having issues with the cables, but did not recall it was the tubes. Your experience with Sony's service is very promising, in case I run into more cable issues.

I was not ready to throw out an otherwise perfectly good cable and to be honest, I think I actually prefer the no tube option even compared to the brand new tubes. The cables is able to follow the contour of the ear more closely, leading to a better weight distribution and less pressure on any given point. And if I was really concerned about the loss of seal on the MMCX, I'm sure I could find something to stick in there to restore it.

May 24, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #7,472 of 15,280
Thinking about buying a z1r, has anyone compared them to the 64 tia trio or u12t? The trios bothered me in the treble, but I haven't heard the u12t. Also hows the fit, is it as bad as everyone says? Basically where I am is u12t vs z1r.

U12t
-better fit
-less recession in the mids/versatility

Z1r
-better bass
-better soundstage

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #7,473 of 15,280
Thinking about buying a z1r, has anyone compared them to the 64 tia trio or u12t? The trios bothered me in the treble, but I haven't heard the u12t. Also hows the fit, is it as bad as everyone says? Basically where I am is u12t vs z1r.

U12t
-better fit
-less recession in the mids/versatility

Z1r
-better bass
-better soundstage
I currently own both the trio and the z1r. Never heard the u12t so I cant compare there. I find the treble on the trio a little sharp, and I can see how it would be hard for some to handle. The z1r is definitely smoother and less pronounced in the treble. So for that alone based on what you have said, the z1r would be better. z1r definitely has a fuller low end as I think it has more subbass extension, which I personally love. It gives everything a really rich full sound without bloating the bass. I definitely prefer it to the trio, though I do find the trio quite good there. Soundstages on both are about the same, that is to say, excellent for IEMs.

I imagine the shell shape and size on the trio and the u12t are pretty similar, and they definitely fit miles better for me than the z1r. I still have trouble with the z1r and have done things like swapping the cables and wearing them backwards, to wearing super shallow fitting tips, to now using a campfire smoky litz cable specifically just for comfort. They still arent great.

Soundiwise for me personally, the z1r is leading the pack in things I have heard, but thats more just about tuning, and its really only very slightly ahead of the trio and solaris that I recently picked up. But again, fit is atrocious. Best bet would be to demo it if possible before buying because the fit is kind of make or break on them.

May 24, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #7,474 of 15,280
I currently own both the trio and the z1r. Never heard the u12t so I cant compare there. I find the treble on the trio a little sharp, and I can see how it would be hard for some to handle. The z1r is definitely smoother and less pronounced in the treble. So for that alone based on what you have said, the z1r would be better. z1r definitely has a fuller low end as I think it has more subbass extension, which I personally love. It gives everything a really rich full sound without bloating the bass. I definitely prefer it to the trio, though I do find the trio quite good there. Soundstages on both are about the same, that is to say, excellent for IEMs.

I imagine the shell shape and size on the trio and the u12t are pretty similar, and they definitely fit miles better for me than the z1r. I still have trouble with the z1r and have done things like swapping the cables and wearing them backwards, to wearing super shallow fitting tips, to now using a campfire smoky litz cable specifically just for comfort. They still arent great.

Soundiwise for me personally, the z1r is leading the pack in things I have heard, but thats more just about tuning, and its really only very slightly ahead of the trio and solaris that I recently picked up. But again, fit is atrocious. Best bet would be to demo it if possible before buying because the fit is kind of make or break on them.

Ok Ive read you other posts on the 64 thread and was interested in your opinion. Would you say the z1r mid range is similar to the trio in the mid range? I didn't like the trio because guitars and vocals sounded like they lacked forwardness and impact, texture. It's crazy I narrowed down my search to these two (u12t balanced, z1r intense).but there is still a tradeof, just like real life :dt880smile:

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #7,475 of 15,280
Ok Ive read you other posts on the 64 thread and was interested in your opinion. Would you say the z1r mid range is similar to the trio in the mid range? I didn't like the trio because guitars and vocals sounded like they lacked forwardness and impact, texture. It's crazy I narrowed down my search to these two (u12t balanced, z1r intense).but there is still a tradeof, just like real life :dt880smile:
Probably somewhat similar though hard for me to really say directly just from memory and I can't check right now. But both are definitely somewhat v shaped signatures, so mids are not going to be the most forward on either. But I personally dont find them lacking either on both.

May 25, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #7,476 of 15,280
Comfort is quite a bit better for me now and I believe that the soundstage has also increased - just kidding.

phew...glad I stopped laughing and finished that sentence.

:upside_down:

I’ve removed memory wire on iems before as well.

May 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #7,477 of 15,280
phew...glad I stopped laughing and finished that sentence..
You were laughing because I had forgotten to mention the deeper and more defined bass, amirite? :)

May 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #7,478 of 15,280
phew...glad I stopped laughing and finished that sentence.

:upside_down:

I’ve removed memory wire on iems before as well.

I've always hated and removed memory wire or bought cables without but the IER cables I actually like the way they are

May 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #7,479 of 15,280
You were laughing because I had forgotten to mention the deeper and more defined bass, amirite? :)

[rimshot] indeed.

I've always hated and removed memory wire or bought cables without but the IER cables I actually like the way they are

yeah, in most cases memory wires are kind of like the car alarms of the audio world...they're everywhere, they do almost nothing good, and at this point most people would remove them if they could.

hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend.

May 25, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #7,480 of 15,280
Hi;
I have both of these. I wind up carrying the Trios in my briefcase. It is stunning how good they sound out of my iphone, and I use them to listen to music on the go, and for phone calls. I keep the Z1R's at my bedside out of a Sony 1Z.
My condensed thougths:
-They are both quite good
-The voicing of the Trios is more forward, the Z1R's more distant. Classical out of the Z1R is extraordinary.
-The Trios have a fuller, richer lower midrange. This is nice for piano, tenor sax, some vocals
-The Z1R has the best quality treble I have ever heard. The soundstage is epic.
-The treble of the Trio is nicely tamed by foam tips
-The Z1R's fit fine, but the Trios disappear when wearing, which is nice
-The Trio is easily powered and sounds good out of any source

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #7,481 of 15,280
Hi;
I have both of these. I wind up carrying the Trios in my briefcase. It is stunning how good they sound out of my iphone, and I use them to listen to music on the go, and for phone calls. I keep the Z1R's at my bedside out of a Z1R.
My condensed thougths:
-They are both quite good
-The voicing of the Trios is more forward, the Z1R's more distant. Classical out of the Z1R is extraordinary.
-The Trios have a fuller, richer lower midrange. This is nice for piano, tenor sax, some vocals
-The Z1R has the best quality treble I have ever heard. The soundstage is epic.
-The treble of the Trio is nicely tamed by foam tips
-The Z1R's fit fine, but the Trios disappear when wearing, which is nice
-The Trio is easily powered and sounds good out of any source

Hope this is helpful

How does the Z1R compare to the U12t if you had it?

May 26, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #7,483 of 15,280
Is there a big quality sound different in the 3.5 and 4.4 when used with the 1A?

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #7,485 of 15,280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back