SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 1, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #6,751 of 15,271
Sony IER-Z1R + sony WM1A mosded FW DMP-Z1 v1.02 courtsy of @Morbideath pure bliss for classical music
15830841961109029339789252089762.jpg

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #6,752 of 15,271
I have same poblem with the stock tips of IER-M7, the go out every 30 mins

I'm not familiar with the IER-M7 but it does seem an odd problem, I had assumed it was down the the weight of the IEMs.

If you are useing tips without wax guard you can try to turn them round with the widest part to the front, then they tend to stay in better. Personally I use the Final E tips

Turning the tips round sounds like a radical idea but I'll give it a go next time I swap them.

I had all these problems with insecure and painful insertion in ear. All of this was ended when I switched to Fiio cable rather than Sony stock. The over ear preform on Sony cable plus the long plug body at the MMCX caused the iem to be pulled out of my ear. See my earlier posts.

I did some testing today and inserted them with no cables attached to see if I had the same problem as you but they still did the same. I did find the Sony cable uncomfortable at first but started to use a technique of twisting the cable barrels to 90 degrees to my ears whilst inserting and then twisting them back until the cable was in the correct place behind my ear, this helped a lot. I do have an aftermarket cable I could try but reading comments on here I'm worried about getting it off again as it doesn't leave much housing to get hold of and with the recessed design of the IEMs means you can't use a spudger between the cable and IEM to click them off.

Thanks for the replies!

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #6,754 of 15,271
I'm not familiar with the IER-M7 but it does seem an odd problem, I had assumed it was down the the weight of the IEMs.

Turning the tips round sounds like a radical idea but I'll give it a go next time I swap them.

I did some testing today and inserted them with no cables attached to see if I had the same problem as you but they still did the same. I did find the Sony cable uncomfortable at first but started to use a technique of twisting the cable barrels to 90 degrees to my ears whilst inserting and then twisting them back until the cable was in the correct place behind my ear, this helped a lot. I do have an aftermarket cable I could try but reading comments on here I'm worried about getting it off again as it doesn't leave much housing to get hold of and with the recessed design of the IEMs means you can't use a spudger between the cable and IEM to click them off.

Thanks for the replies!
To remove the cable, use your thumb and forefinger, squeeze your fingernails into the gap between the IEM and the cable plug, and squeeze. This is a trick suggested in one of the forums, and I find it works beautifully to unplug the cable from the IEM body.

For fit issues, you can give a quick try, swapping the right and left earpieces. Put the right IEM into the left ear, and vice versa. This helps for friction issues, and may help if it allows the IEM to seat deeper. Easy to try. Don't swap the cable plugs, just swap the whole thing to try it out. If it helps, then you can swap the cable ends. This is also a forum tip.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #6,755 of 15,271
Sony IER-Z1R + sony WM1A mosded FW DMP-Z1 v1.02 courtsy of @Morbideath pure bliss for classical music

I’m surprised you like that combo as I found 1A/U1.02 to be fully superior with the IER-Z1R. Though D1.02 is fully better with the Noble Encore.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #6,757 of 15,271
While this may come-off slightly off topic, it’s still important to note.........as many of us own the TA- ZH1ES, this should come as news.

I never knew this but Sony has continued to release firmware and they changed the tone of the amplifier. I simply hooked my TA to a computer and turned it to PC after downloading 1.03 update. The new update is brighter and has a slightly wider midrange soundstage.

Though keep in mind if you like the sound quality of your old firmware you may not be able to roll back to it if 1.03 comes off too bright to you?

There is 1.00 available still to download from Sony but 1.01 and 1.02 are never to be found. I hope someone has them to offer the community a way to go back, if going back is even possible?

Take note that with the IER-Z1R, the changes may or may not be that noticeable to you. One three BA IEM............the qdc Anole V3 was very different after upgrading to 1.03.

Simply go to the Sony download support page for the TA, some will have 1.00 and 1.03, and some Sony pages only have 1.03.

Sony has gone and not publicly announced these changes, yet they are there?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #6,758 of 15,271
While this may come-off slightly off topic, it’s still important to note.........as many of us own the TA- ZH1ES, this should come as news.

I never knew this but Sony has continued to release firmware and they changed the tone of the amplifier. I simply hooked my TA to a computer and turned it to PC after downloading 1.03 update. The new update is brighter and has a slightly wider midrange soundstage.

Though keep in mind if you like the sound quality of your old firmware you may not be able to roll back to it if 1.03 comes off too bright to you?

There is 1.00 available still to download from Sony but 1.01 and 1.02 are never to be found. I hope someone has them to offer the community a way to go back, if going back is even possible?

Take note that with the IER-Z1R, the changes may or may not be that noticeable to you. One three BA IEM............the qdc Anole V3 was very different after upgrading to 1.03.

Simply go to the Sony download support page for the TA, some will have 1.00 and 1.03, and some Sony pages only have 1.03.

Sony has gone and not publicly announced these changes, yet they are there?

Good luck.

1.03 Firmware is dated March 20, 2017

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #6,759 of 15,271
1.03 Firmware is dated March 20, 2017

Thank-you for that. I’m just pointing out the fact that it can be updated. I purchased my TA 1.5 years ago and it had the older software on it. Many folks updated when first opening and setting up their TA.

If you were using Music Center it would remind you and ask to update, I’m pretty sure? But if your TA was never hooked up to a computer you never updated. The updates are following the tone of the Walkmans getting brighter and having a wider soundstage.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #6,760 of 15,271
To remove the cable, use your thumb and forefinger, squeeze your fingernails into the gap between the IEM and the cable plug, and squeeze. This is a trick suggested in one of the forums, and I find it works beautifully to unplug the cable from the IEM body.

For fit issues, you can give a quick try, swapping the right and left earpieces. Put the right IEM into the left ear, and vice versa. This helps for friction issues, and may help if it allows the IEM to seat deeper. Easy to try. Don't swap the cable plugs, just swap the whole thing to try it out. If it helps, then you can swap the cable ends. This is also a forum tip.

Well, this advice may be good for some other IEMs and the cable removal technique will work with most MMCX earphones but not IER-Z1R. The MMCX socket is recessed inside the metal housing by a few millimetres so any aftermarket cables end will sit inside the housing so no insertion of finger nails between the gap is possible hence the trepidation. Equally with putting these in the wrong ears, this might work with smaller IEMs but due to their size and shape there's not a hope of this working with these.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #6,761 of 15,271
Well, this advice may be good for some other IEMs and the cable removal technique will work with most MMCX earphones but not IER-Z1R. The MMCX socket is recessed inside the metal housing by a few millimetres so any aftermarket cables end will sit inside the housing so no insertion of finger nails between the gap is possible hence the trepidation. Equally with putting these in the wrong ears, this might work with smaller IEMs but due to their size and shape there's not a hope of this working with these.
Yes, if you are using a cable that goes into the IEM body, then it will not work. Works great on the stock cable, which has a slight gap between plug and the IEM socket.
Reversing the IEM helps to move the pressure points around, or eliminate them. May work for some people. Easy to try, so nothing lost in trying. As always, your results may vary.

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #6,762 of 15,271
Yes, if you are using a cable that goes into the IEM body, then it will not work. Works great on the stock cable, which has a slight gap between plug and the IEM socket.
Reversing the IEM helps to move the pressure points around, or eliminate them. May work for some people. Easy to try, so nothing lost in trying. As always, your results may vary.

The whole issue about the cable talk is the worry and difficulty of removing third party cables with “standard” connectors. I tried the Sony Kimber cable on the Z1R and had great trouble removing it again

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #6,763 of 15,271
The whole issue about the cable talk is the worry and difficulty of removing third party cables with “standard” connectors. I tried the Sony Kimber cable on the Z1R and had great trouble removing it again
OUCH!

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #6,764 of 15,271

Due to Kimber making such a good cable for the MDR, it was a no-brainer getting the MMCX Kimber for the IER-Z1R. And.....I did everything right; I got used to the supplied 4.4mm and did burn in to the IEM, even waiting weeks before attempting to discern the reality of the Kimber IER-Z1R combination.

After the test I felt the included cable was slightly better, which is actually a fairly well agreed upon conclusion.

Now comes the scary part.

Not to go into it too much but I’m very strong at 5 foot 11 inches and 264.5 pounds. I lift weights almost every day.....but the R Kimber MMCX would not come apart from the IER. I was about 50% sure something was going to break, then again same on L side. Crazy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back