SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #6,631 of 15,280
I think you mean like a hearty, beef & vegetable stew? There are some pretty terrible and non-nutritious/low nutrient value soups out there that you'd definitely die of malnutrition from if that's all you ate.

You need to up your soup and stew game before you go making commments like that.

My message was not about soup, but about diversity and versatility. Why should I stop there if the world still has a lot of things that I have not tried.

It's a pity if you saw the soup and did not see the essence.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #6,633 of 15,280
Are you trying to change the topic away from soup and stew now that you see my point?

What does the soup and stew have to do with it?

Dude said that when you reach the top, then other attempts are loss.

I objected and cited the food analogy. If you think in the same way, you can try a soup and try nothing else in your life, since the soup is enough to survive. What does it have to do with soups, steaks, stews and comparisons between them?

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #6,634 of 15,280
What does the soup and stew have to do with it?

Dude said that when you reach the top, then other attempts are loss.

I objected and cited the food analogy. If you think in the same way, you can try a soup and try nothing else in your life, since the soup is enough to survive. What does it have to do with soups, steaks, stews and comparisons between them?
I thought that we already established that soup is NOT enough to survive on. Surivive means to continue living on, well enough. But if you picked a low-nutrient-value soup, you'd die of malnutrition in a pretty short time. We already discussed this, no more cirlces.

At this point, I'm not sure which one of us is trolling the other...

Back to being a straight-shoorter:
(1)
What we discussed above was that the phrase "end game" doesn't mean what it should or at least, isn't used the right way. The word "wicked" is a good comparison, where the real meaning of the word is "terrible, evil, sickening", but we often use it to mean "amazing". Here, "end game" doesn't really mean someone have reached sonic nirvana, which is what that phrase means, but rather it's more common thrown around to mean "sounds really, really good. I'm going to stick with this for a while, but continue looking around".

(2)
We were not saying that continuing to listen to headphones and gear, in the search for more, better, and different is wrong. But saying something is "end game" and THEN going to look around is "dumb". Just bad word choice. You can say something is the best thing you've ever heard, which doesn't mean you should stop looking. But by saying "it's end game", does really have the meaning that "it's the end of the game, no more looking".

So, we were discussing word choice, not quest. What soup do you like best? I'm a stew kind of guy :~)

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #6,635 of 15,280
something stuffy, I have to open the window :)

Feb 18, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #6,637 of 15,280
All this talk of soup has made me hungry - I'm off for lunch.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #6,638 of 15,280
my wish list is Sony or a 3rd party can create and sell filter kits, similar concept like Knowles filters. This will allow us to fine tune the sound to our preference. I doubt it exist except for DIY.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #6,639 of 15,280
my wish list is Sony or a 3rd party can create and sell filter kits, similar concept like Knowles filters. This will allow us to fine tune the sound to our preference. I doubt it exist except for DIY.
Maybe you can try to set different EQ for different earphones on your player?

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #6,641 of 15,280
Well this iem is sounding good with this tested track.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #6,644 of 15,280
In the iem world, Eleveryone keeps saying xyz iem is my "end game" only to show up in a different thread gushing about some other iem in a few months.

I think we've lost the meaning of the word end game =P
In my case the Z1R is end-game (I've had it since May last year). The only thing that would get me to "upgrade" is something that is at least as high quality as the Z1R but in a more comfortable package. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's "perfect", but, at this point, the limiting factor in my enjoyment of music is the production quality of the music itself, rather than the gear.

This kills me. You see it all over head-fi all the time, but I'd agree that those little IEMs seem to get more of it. I wonder on a forum like this, which is gear focused vs. music focused, whether "end game" has ever really had the real meaning? Right here, it pretty much means "these sound great. I'll listen to them while I look for something else that sounds great too".

I've been lurking and posting on these forums since ~2006 and it's always been the same story. But that's all good, the comsumerism drives the hobby, which causes it to evolve and have new things to try. I've certainly continued to buy new gear and enjoy my upgrades.
Great point, unfortunately it also drives the proliferation of evidence absent claims and snakeoil. I feel that especially on head-fi, attempts to educate users about what is/isn't audible or even measurable are met with censorship when the conclusion is that buying something is a waste of money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back