SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 13, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #6,556 of 15,280
The “box of chocolates“ arrived, any advice before starting the tests? Burning time, better tips? Everything looks spectacular, the best unboxing I've had

952FEBDF-0AD7-464A-8837-A1CE05E611EF.jpeg

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #6,557 of 15,280
I received mine from Amazon yesterday and they actually fit my small-ish ears reasonable well... Unfortunately the set they sent had been opened and the IEMs were loose in the shipping box so I'm returning them and re-ordering from Moon Audio. I figured since they were listed as new and Amazon was the seller they would be legit but that wasn't the case...
Which seller did u buy from on Amazon? That's ridiculous!

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #6,558 of 15,280
I received mine from Amazon yesterday and they actually fit my small-ish ears reasonable well... Unfortunately the set they sent had been opened and the IEMs were loose in the shipping box so I'm returning them and re-ordering from Moon Audio. I figured since they were listed as new and Amazon was the seller they would be legit but that wasn't the case...
That's a bummer. You mean they weren't in the small carry case?

It's nice that they fit you well. Fit might also improve with time (it did for me). How did you like the sound?

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #6,559 of 15,280
The “box of chocolates“ arrived, any advice before starting the tests? Burning time, better tips? Everything looks spectacular, the best unboxing I've had.
Congrats! Quality is undeniable.

Advice:
- Don't bother with burnin or tests, just enjoy the music. Test after a week.
- Use the smallest tips that still seal well and and insert them as deep as comfortably possible.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #6,560 of 15,280
That's a bummer. You mean they weren't in the small carry case?

It's nice that they fit you well. Fit might also improve with time (it did for me). How did you like the sound?

The case had slid out inside the Amazon carboard box so they were bouncing around.... They were 'Shipped from and sold by Amazon.com' but I'm not sure that Amazon separates their own stock from fulfilled by XXX... Either way Amazon seems to sell returned items as New as a matter of policy:

...the item can be sold as "new," and goes back on the shelf

I get that Amazon gets a lot of returned items and they are usually 'good as new' but for stuff like the IER-Z1R I think that 'New' really has to mean 'New'...

On a more important note, they did sound fantastic so I can't wait to get my new pair from Moon Audio... I liked the IER-M9 enough to want to 'upgrade' to these and I wasn't disappointed, although to be fair the IER-M9 is certainly more comfortable and has a more neutral/balanced sound. These are more enjoyable and comfortable than my Andromeda S were (Andro had sharper edges that irritated my ears). These also pair well with my TA-ZH1ES (which is a decidedly warm amp...). Detail is great and I was noticing breathing, chairs sqeaking etc. in classical pieces that I had not noticed before, and yet the sound is not overly clinical or at all sibilant. Sony did a great job with these...

Drew

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #6,562 of 15,280
Anyone have any recommendation of aftermarket cables for the IER-Z1R? I used my Null Audio MMCX ones and barely got them to stick in and then it sounded great but they wouldn't come off. I thought - there goes these gems. Finally after a lot of sensitive tries, got them to dislodge. Never putting them in again on the Z1R. I mean the sockets on the Z1R are a bit more recessed than other IEMs. So, any suggestion about cables that fit? Thanks.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #6,563 of 15,280
Anyone have any recommendation of aftermarket cables for the IER-Z1R? I used my Null Audio MMCX ones and barely got them to stick in and then it sounded great but they wouldn't come off. I thought - there goes these gems. Finally after a lot of sensitive tries, got them to dislodge. Never putting them in again on the Z1R. I mean the sockets on the Z1R are a bit more recessed than other IEMs. So, any suggestion about cables that fit? Thanks.

I tried the Sony Kimber and had difficaulty to get it off again and didn’t feel it improved anything. The stock cable is in my opinion possibly the best stock cable of any phone I’ve tried. What do you want to achieve with an after market cable ?

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #6,564 of 15,280
[…] but they wouldn't come off. I thought - there goes these gems. Finally after a lot of sensitive tries, got them to dislodge. Never putting them in again on the Z1R. I mean the sockets on the Z1R are a bit more recessed than other IEMs.
Has nothing to do with the recession. The lock ring on standard male MMCX connectors is probably too beefy for the Sony female connectors. I have the same issue with an ALO cable. I still haven't tried to remove it, but it's in there for sure.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #6,565 of 15,280
I tried the Sony Kimber and had difficaulty to get it off again and didn’t feel it improved anything. The stock cable is in my opinion possibly the best stock cable of any phone I’ve tried. What do you want to achieve with an after market cable ?

I was just cable rolling for fun. But then it hit me that, in the event I break the stock cables at some point, what are my safe options? The Kimber cable from Sony clearly isn't doing the job from what I read on the thread. So, it's a bit unsettling.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #6,566 of 15,280
I was just cable rolling for fun. But then it hit me that, in the event I break the stock cables at some point, what are my safe options? The Kiber cable from Sony clearly isn't doing the job from what I read on the thread. So, it's a bit unsettling.

I would just buy a new stock cable

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #6,567 of 15,280
Has nothing to do with the recession. The lock ring on standard male MMCX connectors is probably too beefy for the Sony female connectors. I have the same issue with an ALO cable. I still haven't tried to remove it, but it's in there for sure.

You're right. They were in there fine. The sound was the same. And in fact, I was using that particular cable on my ALO/CA IEMs (Andros and Solaris - the latter I sold off though after getting the Z1R). I wish I could use those cables safely on these. Love the Z1R in stock nonetheless.

Btw. Someone here drew a parallel between the IER-Z1R and the TH900. I TOTALLY agree with that. I was thinking about it myself before reading it. I love my Fostex TH900 and I feel the IER-Z1R does have a similar signature.

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #6,568 of 15,280
If I want to really terrify myself, I start trying different cables with my Z1Rs and break out in shaking sweats when the plug is difficult to remove!
Imagine trying to get the MMCX repaired by Sony!!!

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #6,569 of 15,280
Feb 14, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #6,570 of 15,280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back