SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #6,497 of 15,280
Thanks for your reply. I am struggling to really enjoy my Z1R due to pain and lack of security of the device in my ear. I have tried a Fiio cable and it has completely solved the problems.
I cannot understand why Sony have employed such an 'agricultural' style of connector. The metal tube part of the MMXC is very long and results in the curve starting too far away from the earpiece for my ears. As you can see in the image, the Fiio connector starts curving much closer and this has allowed me to get a much better seating in my ears. I am using the second largest of the silicon tips and get perfect sealing for bass and most important COMPLETE COMFORT.
Without this solution I would have been unable to keep my IER Z1R and this would have upset me very much because I love the sound.
Regards to all Head-Fi members - IanR

IMG_4126.jpeg
Is that the FiiO LC D (pure silver) cable? I am wondering if the Z1R pairs well with pure silver cable or not.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #6,500 of 15,280
Is that the FiiO LC D (pure silver) cable? I am wondering if the Z1R pairs well with pure silver cable or not.

I am using the ALO pure silver with the Z1R, but the reason is comfort. I'm not one to argue in favor of cables making any significant differences for SQ, so all I can say is that the Z1R doesn't sound any worse with the ALO. The first time I listened to it after changing the cable I thought there was more air, but I'm sure it was just an impression.

20200210_132351.jpg

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #6,501 of 15,280

BGGAR gush over it.
To note he's an old Sony Fan, loves EX1000-800ST and MA900, disliked Z5, Z7 and Z1R

It seems he has big ears, never mentioned any comfort problem at all. For people like him the IER Z1R is probably just perfection.

I saw both videos he just posted, haven't watched them though. He is known for finding and reporting on good stuff. As with all reviewers it's a subjective experience. I haven't seen more than a minute of the EE LegendX review comparison. Though it's nice to hear he likes them.They are his sound signature. Kind of amazing there are so little reviews for the IER-Z1R. He is singlehandedly responsible for bringing Fearless and BGVP to Head-Fi........so it's a good opinion to have positive. I didn't know he didn't like the XBR-Z5, I heard him say he didn't think the Z5 did anything more than the EX1000? Did not know he didn't like the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7?

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #6,502 of 15,280
Kind of amazing there are so little reviews for the IER-Z1R.
I think I read somewhere that Sony doesn't hand out freebies for review, so if you want to review it you have to buy it yourself.

This shows you how much of the review content out there is actually "sponsored" in one way or another and how much reviewers rely on maintaining a good relationship with manufacturers. That's why I put little to no stock in "official reviews".

I think Joshua Valour over on YT has a pretty good system. He reviews mostly stuff that comes from people who own the gear and this has allowed him a lot more creative freedom. You can actually find definitively negative reviews on his channel... who knew such things even existed. :)

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #6,503 of 15,280
Relistened to the Z1R today. Sounds still great like the first time I listened to them. Still that detail retrieval, still that subbass control, still that imaging that amaze me.
Took me damn months to find someone letting me trying these baby back then and oh boy, I want to own it to death
No better picture sorry, I was excited to listen to it :3
JPEG_20200210_210258.jpg

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #6,504 of 15,280
Relistened to the Z1R today. Sounds still great like the first time I listened to them. Still that detail retrieval, still that subbass control, still that imaging that amaze me.
Took me damn months to find someone letting me trying these baby back then and oh boy, I want to own it to death
No better picture sorry, I was excited to listen to it :3
JPEG_20200210_210258.jpg

I wrote the first Head-Fi review in March of last year and still stand by every word I wrote. I keep trying to find out if they sound disjointed? They seem very together as far as joining the three technologies? It may be that others can hear it more? All this while much of the other flagships that were popular the last two years are publicly known to produce blatant sound reproduction flaws, having them fall from grace and even any interest around here. I’m not mentioning names but it’s a tough world out there as far as competition!

Feb 11, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #6,506 of 15,280
Can't wait for my z1r to arrive. First totl iem that I've bought. All from that I love the ex1000 and n3!

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #6,507 of 15,280
those “SSSS” May mean that the Z1R is not satisfied by your source quality. I know it well....from my Stax experiences. May I know what did you pair it with ?

I'm actually getting the sssss sound on high notes on my z1r as well, I'm pairing this with a dx220 amp9. Seems to be a bit better with the amp1.

Anyone else experiencing this too?

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #6,508 of 15,280
I'm actually getting the sssss sound on high notes on my z1r as well, I'm pairing this with a dx220 amp9. Seems to be a bit better with the amp1.

Anyone else experiencing this too?

That’s the thing, if an IEM is resolving enough it may show the limits of what’s upstream. The 1Z is the brightest source/amp I use with the IER. Combine that with the brightest firmware and it goes up to that edge but not strident? It’s super high though? Like tiny high frequencies I have never heard before. But that’s what gives the illusion of detail and resolution?

I’m normally more suspect of the artifact being in the playback file due to the recording than hardware.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #6,510 of 15,280
Amp9 is good, but I only use Dx220 with Amp8EX.

Lately I adore Z1R and a modded 1A as a pairing
I heard thats the worst amp for the dx220. Trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back