SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #6,046 of 15,434
Thats correct , thats the great thing with headphones , all headphones. The issue is the MDR is not a great SOUNDING headphone. If you prefer this bigger fuller sound there are plenty of other headphones to choose. Obviously you are searching for better.

I disagree. I think the MDR-Z1R sounds great. YMMV.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #6,047 of 15,434
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #6,048 of 15,434
OK; so
is the bass equivalent?
is the soundstage equivalent?
do the IER-Z1R have brighter or darker 10-18kHz?
do IER-Z1R have any weird peaks? The MDR's have a weird peak around 7-8kHz that results in a less than idea reproduction of Trap high hats or other fast transients.
I've owned the MDR-Z1R's for 2 years.

They don't sound anything alike that I won't even bother comparing them because it's not a useful reference point. It's definitely an apples to orange comparison.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #6,049 of 15,434
I know you have to.

It's not whether I have to or not, rather it's because I know what sound I like.

It's one of the reason I custom tuned my Justear MH1 - because I can't find anything pre-tuned that fits MY preference.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #6,050 of 15,434
They don't sound anything alike that I won't even bother comparing them because it's not a useful reference point. It's definitely an apples to orange comparison.
Dude, they're both apples.
It's easier to relate to the IER-Z1R sound signature if I have a common reference point, and the MDR-Z1R seemed to be the best point of reference. Are the Shure 535's a better reference for you? Maybe my Persona 7F's + Dual SB-4000's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apple_cultivars

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #6,051 of 15,434
Dude, they're both apples.
It's easier to relate to the IER-Z1R sound signature if I have a common reference point, and the MDR-Z1R seemed to be the best point of reference.

And I'm telling you it isn't, there's nothing similar to the two except they are both made by Sony.
I mean you can look at Currawong's review to see this, he thinks the MDR-Z1R is a complete failure while he loves the IER-Z1R. Heck, MANY thinks the MDR-Z1R is a failure, but the IER-Z1R certainly doesn't have that kind of reputation.

Can't make any comparison to the gears you have, never heard the the Shure 535 myself.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #6,052 of 15,434
And I'm telling you it isn't, there's nothing similar to the two except they are both made by Sony.
I mean you can look at Currawong's review to see this, he thinks the MDR-Z1R is a complete failure while he loves the IER-Z1R. Heck, MANY thinks the MDR-Z1R is a failure, but the IER-Z1R certainly doesn't have that kind of reputation.

Can't make any comparison to the gears you have, never heard the the Shure 535 myself.
i think the MDR sounds pretty good woth a good source.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #6,053 of 15,434
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #6,054 of 15,434
Thats correct , thats the great thing with headphones , all headphones. The issue is the MDR is not a great SOUNDING headphone. If you prefer this bigger fuller sound there are plenty of other headphones to choose. Obviously you are searching for better.

That I can’t agree with, I find them both to be great sounding but in each their own way

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #6,055 of 15,434
That I can’t agree with, I find them both to be great sounding but in each their own way
If you cant then you cant and thats ok. Not everybody can.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #6,056 of 15,434
If you cant then you cant and thats ok. Not everybody can.

Exactly. But I can understand why many don’t like the MDR, they are a bit of a Marmite phone. I find the MDR to be hugely musical and I loose myself in the sound just enjoying the music but it is clearly not a reference or neutral sound signature. The IER is much more in that direction without any obvious wierdness but still very musical and natural.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #6,057 of 15,434
You bought it ? Thought you only liked iems ? Which great source ?
Yeah, bought it from @purk . Great source my WM1A balanced with high gain engaged . They sound bad out of the A55 ( i know that little bugger doesnt has enough power to drive them

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #6,058 of 15,434
The music separation I hear with Z1R/1Z walkman is just truly amazing!

I just want to leave everything, go home, lock the doors and enjoy the music.

All I need now is some kind of adapter to connect it with unbalanced and see if it hilds up the same way.

I’m surprised Sony includes 2 different cables, instead of an adapter to use with single ended connection.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #6,060 of 15,434
Both MDR and IER’s have a very different sound to me. IER has more of that intense and clear sound. MDR has more of that relax and clear sound.
20191205_130107.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back