SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 24, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #3,751 of 15,376
I'm actulally not arguing that Sony recommends doing it. The point is, some components would need burn in and some companies runs burn ins in their production process, others not. H actually mention that he doesn't has space to run burn ins in his process today even if he wants. Is not 100% requeired by all gear and some you won't notice any difference. The brain itself has really short sound details memory, so a simple "one day gap" between listening, how you put your headphones, tips, mood, concentration, wife winging on your side, all those things can give similar effect unless you are measuring while burning in without even touching the gear and room and measure to confirm real improvements. So none of us (believers and no believers) are completelly right or completelly wrong.
Well the numerous attempts to capture any sort of transducer burn in have shown that there’s no different of any sort in the frequency domain. Obviously I’m not going to argue that frequency response is the only important thing here but it’s essentially to point out that no one has managed to capture any sort of burn in effect taking place through measurements. Hence my skeptical response to the phenomena, if I can’t measure it and I can’t personally observe it, why should I believe it exists?

Either way this is all inconsequential because this is a Z1R thread, and to me the Z1R sounds damned good out of the box or well used. Been using it every day for easily 5+ hours a day and have not gotten tired of it yet.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #3,752 of 15,376
Well the numerous attempts to capture any sort of transducer burn in have shown that there’s no different of any sort in the frequency domain. Obviously I’m not going to argue that frequency response is the only important thing here but it’s essentially to point out that no one has managed to capture any sort of burn in effect taking place through measurements. Hence my skeptical response to the phenomena, if I can’t measure it and I can’t personally observe it, why should I believe it exists?

Either way this is all inconsequential because this is a Z1R thread, and to me the Z1R sounds damned good out of the box or well used. Been using it every day for easily 5+ hours a day and have not gotten tired of it yet.
Interesting though. Most of the comments from "burn ins" are related to the perception areas like soundstage. Same things there are more noticiable when concentrated, calm place, seal... external variables.

Z1r has a huge DD, so a bit of burn in would slight improve it, the dome would become more flexible and less resistant to move. Didn't notice any improvement though, I wasn't looking for anyway.

Nice talk. :)

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #3,753 of 15,376
Just got my z1r last night. It doesnt sound like a typical (for me) iem, it sounds more like an over-the-ear headphone with a wide sound stage and great dynamics.

Very happy with the sound and it is a superb match with the WA-11 Topaz amp-WOW.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3,754 of 15,376
I revisited the Z1r vs Andro S subject.

I wanted to see if I could get the Z1r to sound like the Andro S just by using the ZX300 EQ function. I used @crinacle's database of measurements as a reference. Initially I tried to get the delta dBs as close to a match as possible, but I thought this distorted the Z1r sound too much. So instead of trying to match the 2 IEMs exactly, I focused on balancing out the midrange of the Z1r à la Andro. I'm very happy with the result and I actually prefer this "hybrid" sound to the Andro S itself. So now I have the default Z1r tuning and an EQ setting that gets me close to the Andro S tuning all in one package: the Sony IER-Z1r.

In case someone is wondering, here is the EQ settings:
Hz dB
31 -1.5
62 -1.0
125 0.0
250 +2.0
500 +1.5
1k 0.0
2k -0.5
4k -2.0
8k 0.0
16k 0.0

Pics for reference:

20190720_221159.jpg

20190724_230831.jpg

Screenshot_20190723-155132_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #3,755 of 15,376
The strangest thing is that people can “believe” in a lot of things. But once they stop “believing”, then their life is just full of non-sense and which lead to many suicides!

Anyways, keeps on believing what you do, because every and each one of us will need that. To me, the burn-in is not always “positive”....nope! Like someone said, if the sound signature isn’t for you, then “burning in” or even a Cables isn’t going to do that magically. I have critically listened, to different modifications, upgrades and allowing burn-in and so on.....the fact that Capacitors will age and change over time is real, and the most dramatically changes will happen at after the first very few hours, let’s say 12-24 hours. It depends on how many of those and at what sections that would really determine the burn-in period. Most of the electrolytic capacitors will require a lot of burn-in times, while Tantalum doesn’t require as much, and the least is Ceramic. But that is what I hear, observed, with sciences, experiments.....and believe. No one have to believe what I do, but never stop believing, especially yourself

One of the example I can tell is that WM1Z stopped changing after 500 hours or around then....my DMP-Z1 is still a rolling coaster even at 800 hours....go figure

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #3,756 of 15,376
I revisited the Z1r vs Andro S subject.

I wanted to see if I could get the Z1r to sound like the Andro S just by using the ZX300 EQ function. I used @crinacle's database of measurements as a reference. Initially I tried to get the delta dBs as close to a match as possible, but I thought this distorted the Z1r sound too much. So instead of trying to match the 2 IEMs exactly, I focused on balancing out the midrange of the Z1r à la Andro. I'm very happy with the result and I actually prefer this "hybrid" sound to the Andro S itself. So now I have the default Z1r tuning and an EQ setting that gets me close to the Andro S tuning all in one package: the Sony IER-Z1r.

In case someone is wondering, here is the EQ settings:
Hz dB
31 -1.5
62 -1.0
125 0.0
250 +2.0
500 +1.5
1k 0.0
2k -0.5
4k -2.0
8k 0.0
16k 0.0

Pics for reference:

That's pretty similar to what I use on the WM-1Z, particularly the 250-500 range, although I'm flat on the low register and the 4k.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #3,757 of 15,376
Just bite the bullet recently and finally got the Z1R. God I love the sound. Question! what tips is everyone using? After extended hrs of listening, i do feel soreness on my ear canal.. am i pushing it too inwards my ear or will switching tips help?

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #3,759 of 15,376
Just bite the bullet recently and finally got the Z1R. God I love the sound. Question! what tips is everyone using? After extended hrs of listening, i do feel soreness on my ear canal.. am i pushing it too inwards my ear or will switching tips help?
I’m using MS tips, inserting them as deep as I possibly can. I would say that any ear canal soreness you’re feeling is from the shell rather than the tips. It’s very much like getting used to a fresh custom, you have to give your ears time to acclimate to the shell.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #3,760 of 15,376
I’m using MS tips, inserting them as deep as I possibly can. I would say that any ear canal soreness you’re feeling is from the shell rather than the tips. It’s very much like getting used to a fresh custom, you have to give your ears time to acclimate to the shell.
Wait! ...this is real ? I mean...do our ears change in shape ?

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #3,761 of 15,376
Wait! ...this is real ? I mean...do our ears change in shape ?
Of course they do. The canal is totally susceptible to being widened or otherwise changed through continuous insertions. There’s a reason why people who own customs for a couple years sometimes have to get a refit, their canal shape has deviated too far from what it was before and therefore their customs no longer fit.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #3,762 of 15,376
Of course they do. The canal is totally susceptible to being widened or otherwise changed through continuous insertions. There’s a reason why people who own customs for a couple years sometimes have to get a refit, their canal shape has deviated too far from what it was before and therefore their customs no longer fit.
OMG!....stretched out! I see what you mean now...thank you. At least using headphones, my skull isn’t going to need to reform :D “grin*”

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #3,763 of 15,376
OMG!....stretched out! I see what you mean now...thank you. At least using headphones, my skull isn’t going to need to reform :D “grin*”
Nah, the skull is too hard for headphones to do that. On ear headphones might (maybe?) mess with the outer ear with enough usage but that’s just conjecture.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,764 of 15,376
Can you share any scientific study behind that?

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #3,765 of 15,376
I'm using Symbio Wide Bore-Large Tips. Sounds great. Does put a little pressure on my ears though - maybe a medium might be better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back