SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 11, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #3,286 of 15,290
Ah, so I guess the case stayed closed for you.
I really like the case and would like to used in for its intended purpose, but I need some way to ensure it doesn't open accidentally (the magnet is nowhere near strong enough). I'm thinking about using a rubber band like some people use for amp stacks. The only other concern is that there isn't a lot of padding on the inside, it feels quite hard.
So I am not the only one who thinks the magnet isn't strong enough to keep the case closed-shut

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #3,287 of 15,290
Got the Z1R today and am very impressed by them. Out of a Mojo they sound very balanced with a certain emphasis in the lowest register which gives them e very nice and not overdone hint of a tactile impact. Female voices are spot on. So are the grainless and very well extended highs. Their greatest strength for me, however, is the super large soundstage that, despite its sheer size, has no detrimental impact on the instrument separation.

I prefer them to my Andromeda S and Andromeda as the Sony‘s bass has more heft and realism and the highs are smoother despite being at least as extended. Both Andros could use just a bit more warmth. The Z1R just hits it for me.

My other favorite, Inear’s Prophile 8, is overall slightly more neutral but in comparison a bit lacking in the lowest and highest frequency range.

Oh and Sony definitely should sell the silicone-rubber hybrids separately. The LLs are just perfect for me. I have sent the Swiss Sony headquarters a message asking for these tips. So far no reply.

Jun 11, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #3,288 of 15,290
These sound truly fantastic with the Mojo. I don’t know how it compares to the so called top tier DAPs, but relative to phone and dongle I get substantial improvement. The Mojo pairing has a sense of refinement, timing and attack and decay of instruments and vocals that is quite sublime to me. Micro details really improve, and clarity jumps up. Portrayal of depth in the soundstage is now even more convincing, vocals take on more heft, realism and clarity.

Sure I could listen to these IEMs through iPhone and dongle. It still sounds good, but lacking comparatively to the Mojo. It''s like waking up a sleeping dragon. The difference isn’t subtle to me. I don't always notice this remarkable difference immediately, but give it 10 minutes, and I become more inclined to thinking that these might need a good source to truly shine.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #3,289 of 15,290
I've had these for a while now, and am enjoying them thoroughly. I've noticed that there's a very nice synergy with the ZH1ES in my home setup, compared to just out of the Walkman.

Wondering if anyone else has stacked a DAP + amp to good effect while on the go, and what particular amps people like for this?

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #3,290 of 15,290
There's a thread on the other forum absolutely destroying the z1r.

I'm not gonna argue the z1r is the best thing ever (since I'm not yet convinced myself) but the level of critique it received there is surprising to me. Especially since the reference point used most often in comparisons was the Andromeda and the Solaris. My experience with the Solaris has been much more limited, but the Andromeda (OG and S) has been my main headphone for the past year. It wouldn't surprise me that someone might prefer the more relaxed sound of the Andromeda, but to think one is gold while the other is garbage is quite a stretch and interestingly, most people over there immediately discounted the z1r based on one person't report.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #3,291 of 15,290
If anyone is thinking of an upgrade cable for the Z1R, consider Dita Oslo. Such a beautiful pairing... both Made in Japan :heart_eyes:

The fact that is sounds awesome now is a bonus :joy:

824gxaQ.jpg

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #3,292 of 15,290
If anyone is thinking of an upgrade cable for the Z1R, consider Dita Oslo. Such a beautiful pairing... both Made in Japan :heart_eyes:

The fact that is sounds awesome now is a bonus :joy:

824gxaQ.jpg
Which tips are those? Spinfit? The DAP I guess it's the lotto paw gold touch

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #3,293 of 15,290
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #3,294 of 15,290

I'm not gonna argue the z1r is the best thing ever (since I'm not yet convinced myself) but the level of critique it received there is surprising to me. Especially since the reference point used most often in comparisons was the Andromeda and the Solaris. My experience with the Solaris has been much more limited, but the Andromeda (OG and S) has been my main headphone for the past year. It wouldn't surprise me that someone might prefer the more relaxed sound of the Andromeda, but to think one is gold while the other is garbage is quite a stretch and interestingly, most people over there immediately discounted the z1r based on one person't report.

I like hearing that the IER-Z1R is controversial. All Sony headphones are. There is always a group that has issues with them after they come out....it’s expected really. You can PM me the link, I would like to read some scathing remarks......I’m in the mood!

Edit:

Nice read....saying it sounded like an IEM version of the full-size Grado SR325 was a strange comparison to me.....but whatever? Crinacle has great input as always. It’s nice to read some contrast to the love with the Z1R going on here.

https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/

No IEM is perfect......but happiness is finding something special with the IEM flaws and perfections.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #3,295 of 15,290
No IEM is perfect......but happiness is finding something special with the IEM flaws and perfections.

Yeah, but now I'll be desperately looking for that zing. :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #3,296 of 15,290
Yeah, but now I'll be desperately looking for that zing. :)

It’s so funny how our perception can be pulled along. I’m sure some of this stuff goes with experience too? I remember going back to my old favorite headphones that I purchased in the late 1990s called the Sony CD-870. They had a noticeable treble roll off....but at the time I never noticed it? So it was later after getting other headphones with more treble that I noticed it. There could vary well be stacks of issues with the IER-Z1R that we fail to notice? Nativity is bliss! :)

I just came from a different thread where I was told the other IEM I like to listen to is the worst IEM the company made. I guess I’m into messed up sound? :xf_eek:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #3,297 of 15,290

The truth usually lies smack in the middle of Head-Fi and "the other forum". Lots of hyperbole either way, like soundwaves cancelling each other out. What remains can be useful.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #3,298 of 15,290
Just got it this afternoon, very exciting to listen to it. The seal is very good. I cannot hear a thing wearing it. My wife was calling me 2 ft behind me several times and I did not hear her until she shouted at me. I am using M tips.

The sound is very resolving and like what most of people said, the mids are a bit weak. Resolution is good.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #3,299 of 15,290
Edit:
Nice read....saying it sounded like an IEM version of the full-size Grado SR325 was a strange comparison to me.....but whatever? Crinacle has great input as always. It’s nice to read some contrast to the love with the Z1R going on here.

https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/

The IER-Z1R sounding like a Grado was a weird comparison to me too. I find it fair if someone says the lower mids are recessed, or the bass is elevated. I can see where someone is coming from if those are the critiques, but emphasized upper mids and limp bass is just off in my opinion especially relative to the named comparisons.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,300 of 15,290
Did you guys expect anything more? :sweat_smile:

Someone there's suggesting that Sony's giving the US a middle finger with pricing when hello, it's always been the more expensive IEM. If we're really trying placing blame on someone, the ones giving the middle finger are the distributors in X, Y, or Z country that jack up the prices for their own bottom line. Given how much the Andromeda was in Korea ($1500+), I wouldn't be surprised if the $500 cheaper Solaris came in at the same/higher price point than the Z1R here. Am I going to blame Campfire Audio if/when that happens? Of course not - it'd be asinine.

(I don't blame distributors for raising prices. They should be doing so, and I'd still buy locally at a reasonable price premium. I just don't understand giving the manufacturer crap when it's basically the same price in Japan, US, Korea, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back